Reviews for "King Samulis"

Great track!

A few things I reflected over:

I've heard a few of your tracks, and it'd be nice to see you expand colour palette a bit - some soft woodwind harmonies could definitely have found their place in this track. Also, perhaps some more varied use of brass in general - piano brass harmonies can be very suspenseful.

The production of the track is splendid, no worries there. There were a few times when I'd wished the lead instrument was more humanized, but not often.

One thing I reacted to about your arrangements - there's some, but not very much contrary motion. Parallel motion and overall direction can work as a great build up device but contrary motion can give this very satisfying, solid feel. I don't know if it's something you keep in mind while writing, but if you don't, start to, it pays off!

One last thing, and it's a bit of a matter of taste - but to me the raised 7 - raised 6 movement at 0:39 really stuck out in an unsmooth way.

Okay, time for me to stop nagging about silly things and listen to it one more time!

Bosa responds:

Thank you for the advice, my friend. These are all things that I need to work on in the future, and I appreciate your experienced input. It's good to hear from someone who knows a bit about music structure.

"Shaking and Trembling"

Just listening to this... amazing work man! I'm going to have to use some crazy stuff to even make a dent against this. :D

I always have been amazed by your sheer ability to put the idea of Power into an orchestra, it's great for a strong cinematic feel... horns... trumpets... the classic Bosa Chorus of Death and Destruction and Epicness.

Out of all the pieces of yours I have heard, I can honestly say this is my favorite... it has a strong cinematic feel, enough horns to sink a battleship, and a solid flow... though I wish that fanfare lasted longer. XD

Can't wait to finish up my piece. I hope it will at least compare!

Keep compos(ing/ed)!
-Samulis

Bosa responds:

You have what it takes, my man! I am fully aware of your excellent skill, and I can easily be defeated with the right approach.

You are the king, after all!

I die laughing at the description. Anyway, I am not a good commentator so I'll give out whatever comes to my mind... Well you don't have to read my silly comment if you find it too harsh or doesn't make sense.

Strengths - Choir arrangement always has the upper hands in your musical 'weaponry'. Same goes for brass. I really like the narration of this track. Lord Samulis will not be pleased...

Weakness - Length of the track. There isn't enough time for each section to flourish throughout the track. I don't know if you really intended to make climax but if you do it doesn't work out really well.

I quite disappoint that this track isn't quite reflecting your full ability to knock out the opponents. Many of your older tracks work way beyond what I heard in here. Why is that?

Just sayin'! Like I said, you don't really have to read my silly words! Good day, sir.

Bosa responds:

I understand you, don't worry. You're right.