Reviews for "DMT:How to read music/tab"

FUCK YEAH!!!

this is what i was looking for thnxs it helps me a lot thank you very much 5/5 10/10

Darkmaster603 responds:

Glad it helped! I always love to hear that it helps someone!

Thanks for the review!

Im favoriting it....

It may come in handy later in my life... =)

Darkmaster603 responds:

Thanks, I really hope it does! Music is a great thing, and I hope you seriously start doing it!

Very nice.

I thought this was a good start, but it could use a little refinement. Here are a couple of my notes:

-- I noticed that the forward/continue button just said "Menu." It advanced the slides, but you may want to correct that.
-- Stop music button was nice, but is there a way to restart your ambient music? I tried clicking the button again, but it didn't work.
-- I think it would be very useful to add music being played when notes are displayed on-screen. Individuals tend to learn best when they can associate what they see (notes on display) with a functional outcome (notes being played). For example, you could just have an audio file pluck out the notes to 'Crazy Train' as each tab is highlighted for demonstrative purposes.
-- Something to consider is some type of interactivity at the end of each lesson. Whether it's a tone matching game, or just a blank sheet to make your own tab, I think an add-on of that sort would complete this package.

Those criticisms aside. Solid start to flash/tutorial work. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Congratulations on the Daily Feature.

Darkmaster603 responds:

I agree, not very polished. After the next projejct gets finished, I'll be returning to this one and making it look better. It was just a mess I made in a few hours, and I feel kind of embarrassed that I submitted it with all these flaws.

I actually am making a game for the next one, a memory game that you have to find all the notes on the neck of the guitar. I brushed up on the action script, so expect a lot of SFX and a more interactive tutorial.

A lot of people don't like to learn from a wall of text, so I thought flash would be a fun new way to learn these important things.

Thanks for the criticism and review!

Wow, I'm not sure I can top the previous review.

Well anyway, it's definitely important for all musicians to be able to read sheet music. I suggest teaching rhythms as well though. It was a good tutorial all in all, and although it could have been more engaging/exciting, it's certainly a good thing to have on Newgrounds.

Darkmaster603 responds:

Yes, I agree. The in depth tutorial for tablature is about 20% done. I'm covering EVERYTHING there is to tablature, so expect to see a lot of that stuff. I've also added more sound effects, better AS, and made it more visually appealing, so that should help it too lol.

I hope you stay tuned and watch for the future tutorials!

Thanks for the review!

Teaching people music is always a good idea

As a Masters student at an internally acclaimed conservatory,
arrogant as this may be I feel the need to leave a comment.

Sharps, Naturals, and Flat signs always come before the note.

E# is an ENHARMONIC way of spelling F. There are important distinctions to keep in mind when using either.

They are and are not the same note. To a wind player they imply the same fingering but to a string player (and the advanced wind player) it implies CHORDAL FUNCTION, which is crucial to understanding what pitch to play at.

For example, E# is typically used as the Third of a C# major chord. This is different from let's say F being the Tonic root of a chord in that the third should be lowered in pitch about 15 cents to be in tune. (If you listen closely, a piano is the most out of tune instrument ever built)

A trumpet player has a better chance in seeing the note B# then a violin player. If an orchestra is playing in the key of F# major, well then a trumpet player (which I am not) would be reading a in the transposed key of G# where the third would BE B#, some publishers feel the need to use the enharmonic spelling of Ab and C respectively although to advanced string players Tonic C and Tonic B# would still be a SLIGHTLY different frequencies.

By your logic anyone that uses a double sharp or double flat is out right wrong.... Carl Nielsen is spinning in his grave.

Please correct the information represented in the flash. Any tool that helps train and educate people in reading and understanding music is beneficial to all and I thank you for having spent the time in creating this flash.

Darkmaster603 responds:

Well, Thanks for the update! I'll have to make the corrections than. I've had false knowledge for all these years than I guess X_X.

I didn't want to bring in naturals yet, that was gonna be in the more in depth music reading one. I am glad you are bringing this to my attention. Hopefully if I have any questions, you wouldn't mind me asking you for help lol