For the month of March we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 74 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in April!

Reviews for "The Pretenders"

A Pleasant Surprise

There were people who got miffed into thinking this is a serious production, but this is exactly how my brothers and I used to play around in the house, if we weren't playing (and endlessly analyzing) video games.

With the exception of jumping around for the advent of delicious grub (we devoured most everything and didn't care as long as it wasn't poisoned), it was dead-on in its portrayal of young kids who take on different roles. To have grown idiots perform the leads makes it funnier, although you could have had someone who knew how to play a father/elder sibling figure for the third character. That was the weakest link, and instead of poor production value, it was a sour actor.

I don't get why ads had to be placed onto the final product, but so be it.

This was actually pretty fun, and it surprised me. I almost overlooked it (mostly due to a few sour reviews before me), but I'm glad to have viewed it. Maybe if I peruse my old entries and reviews, I'll remember the other locale and view it there as well for the best effect.

Wow, thanks a lot.

I do agree about the father figure, but we had to work with what we had. So instead we used the angry brother.

As for the ads, they are put there because.. we make money from them lol. Why wouldn't you want ads put on a submission?

I'm happy that you enjoyed it and thank you for the well thought out review.

I approve.

Interesting idea. Not the best, but certainly different from what I'm used to. It's nice to see linear work that's original.

Acting was great, especially from Nick. I like what you guys did with VO.

The humor was subtle. In some places, I think it would have been better off even more so. Case in point, the smiley map. I think that shot should have come in only when Nick says "no pattern has emerged yet," and for NG's sake, it should have been angry faic. I also feel that the shot lingered too long. That's my main gripe, which is why I'm going on and on about it. >:(

Lighting wasn't used, as far as I can tell, but the choice of natural lighting works to create a gritty effect that is in tune with the mood you set. Your basement was lit brighter, which is more in tune with comedy. I see what you did there.

Sound was pretty crisp. Nick overmodulated once or twice, but otherwise, it's good. I think giving each of your guns different sounds (bang vs bam) was a clever idea. I can't even articulate what about it appeals to me, but I like it nonetheless.

Overall, it's a lot more professional and inspired than your "Wars" series. I approve of the direction you're heading in. Don't stop improving.

NotCoachFro responds:

We'll keep improving. I'm thinking we should start looking into a full length film here pretty soon.

Thanks for the review, your tips are always considered.

I liked it

~~REVIEW~~
very good movie, i thought it had some decent acting looks like you guys did homework with other real movies and such, but corey you are killing me with the size hehe, but regardless i still enjoyed the flash and had a really good story, i thought it might use some "SUBTITLES" the voices were not bad, but it might just make it that much better. anyways great movie even if it was 18.9 mb's hehe

~~THINGS TO IMPROVE ON~~
Add some subtitles just an opinion though

~~OVERALL~~
Awsome movie great story, cant wait for more

~X~

NotCoachFro responds:

Sorry about the size. It's much better than it's original 80 MB size though!

Ha, I'm happy that you enjoyed it and perhaps we'll find a programmer to make it so you can turn subtitles on and off in the future.

Thanks for the review.

Great Job...

Great Job, I really liked the part when Nick acted like he picked up a gun off of the counter but he just made a gun out of his hand.
Great job, but I couldn't give it 9/10 since I didn't especially like the ending. But the rest was great.
I'm glad there are still live-action films on Newgrounds, keep on makin' them, you do a fantastic job, but try to get a little better lighting next time, though.
All in all, Great Job...

NotCoachFro responds:

And how would you like this to end? You can think of a better ending? I really want to know because your the second person to mention the ending.

not bad

This was a pretty decent film overall. i laughed during the gun fight scene and the pissed off big brother scene. and the file size wasnt an issue for me personally. But to tell u the truth, i just dont think this was meant to be submitted here. am pretty sure most of the people on this site (including myself) view newgrounds as a flash animation/any other animation site. i just dont think that a film with ALL live action shots fits in well on this site. i think your better off just submitting this kind of film on break.com. But am not going to knock you points for that. I still thought it was funny, not the most original plot, but it works, and i thought the actors were good too. And the quality wasnt the best, but not too bad. And i believe u Accomplished wat u set out to do, which was to be comedy (for the ppl who thought this was suppose to be a serious film, your morons). anyways, not bad, hopefully u wont take ill-will to my opinion. peace man.

NotCoachFro responds:

It was already submitted on break.com before this website.

Good review though. Thanks a lot!