Reviews for "~SW~ Dreamland Chronicles"

Amazing!!! I liked it a lot, perfect fir for the comic (nice comic by the way) I like how you use the VSTi and VST, its just awsome!, added the song to favs!!!

Thanks! :D

The comic is really good, thought I may as well make a song for it.

The instruments really, really helped. xD Good instruments do make a song a lot better.

Thanks for the fave~!

This is a beautifully made instrumental.

~Keep up the good work man, beautiful music.

Hey, thanks!

Spent a lot of time working on this to make sure it was really, REALLY good.

"~Keep up the good work man, beautiful music."
I plan to. :D In fact, got another song in the works already... though it's still fairly in the beginning stages.

I believe I may have heard an earlier version of this at some point. Regardless, it's a great piece with an excellent mix of various genres and styles, between a very calm and laid back ambient feel and a strong battle feel. Chords are well selected and I love your use of tasteful dissonance. Here you've managed also to use cymbals well for your transitions, unlike many others.

The one thing that bothers me is the 'zap' sounds going on during the orchestral part, but that's just me being a stickler for orchestral. XD

I find it hard to place this piece as similar in style to any composers, but it does at time remind me of the original menu music to Civilization III if you have ever heard it, and some of the music in that game, but of course, produced at considerably higher quality.

I do have to say that it is very amazing to see such a long production... almost seven minutes is incredible regardless of style. I can hardily imagine how many instruments and different effects you had going on it and it is impressive you completed this in only one month... it's like a full score in one single piece... I can hardly find an issue with production, although the orchestral instruments do sound a bit weak in the battle part... not sure why.

Great work on this, I wish I could offer more constructive critique, but I'm afraid I cannot think of much... there are few flaws. :D

Keep compos(ed/ing)!
-Samulis

Samulis! Hey there!

"an earlier version"
...um, yes, you did. You heard this when I had just finished the orchestral part (and I used some of your feedback for completing it), and heard it when it was done as well, before I posted it.

"excellent mix of various genres and styles"
Mixing the two genres took SUCH a long time. x.x I can't even begin to express the amount of pain I went through getting them to transition properly.

"Chords are well selected and I love your use of tasteful dissonance."
Coming from a master of tasteful dissonance, I thank you very much for that compliment.

"you've managed also to use cymbals well"
I work extra-ultra-mega-hard on transitions, and beat myself up over transitions that most people would call 'awesome'.

"the 'zap' sounds"
Oh yeah, that's part of the extensive transitions in and out of the orchestral bit, since they're reminiscent of the more ambient sections. I tried to at the very least keep them in-key.

"I find it hard to place this piece as similar in style to any composers"
YES. YES. YES! THIS is possibly the best compliment you could have given me. I want to be different from other composers. And if I have to do insane stuff like this in order to get that, then I will. :D

"original menu music to Civilization III, but of course, produced at considerably higher quality."
1. I own Civ III, so yes, I do know it, and yeah, I see how it's somewhat reminiscent.
2. ...holy crap. I honestly don't know what to do with this giant flood of compliments you're giving me. I seriously love the Civ III soundtrack and respect it as some of the best music I've heard. So... wow.

"I can hardily imagine how many instruments and different effects you had going on it"
No need to. I had... 30 instruments if you don't count each percussion instrument individually, and... 69 if you do. As for effects, I surprisingly had no SFX in there whatsoever (unless you count one of the percussion things as SFX - it was the ambient non-drum-or-orchestral percussion, one of the hits you hear in the beginning, and then the reverse cymbals and stuff. The percussion with the echoes. Buuuuut, in the case of FX on instruments, I had... ...er. 52 different VSTs in my mixer, not counting things like Guitar Rig 5 (which has multiple FX things inside the VST). So yeah. Ton of crap. Actually, less than what I have in the song I'm about to be posting...

"it is impressive you completed this in only one month"
...I could have gotten it done a lot faster, honestly. But you know, school and stuff. Makes it a tad difficult to focus.

"it's like a full score in one single piece"
Okay, that has a definite reason behind it. The entire piece is meant to sum up a webcomic that's like. 1528 pages long. And counting. ...granted, it'll eventually not sum up the whole thing, but when I finished it, it did.

"the orchestral instruments do sound a bit weak in the battle part"
The orchestral instruments are weak. :< I really should get EWQL Symphonic Orchestra or something, shouldn't I... Tch. Ra first, then Stormdrum, then Symphonic Orchestra!

"there are few flaws. :D"
:D
:D:D
:D:D:D
:D:D:D:D
:D:D:D:D:D
Hey look, I made a pyramid. But yeah. That pretty much explains my happiness about that comment.

"Keep compos(ed/ing)!"
Can/will do! You too, Samulis.

-Swint

I agree with others. Definitely can feel the time spent, and it brought back good memories. Thoughts of zelda, chrono trigger, some very great scenes in some novels, even some movies. I put this on loop and set it as background music and it fit very well to that also. I wish I had suggestions to improve this work bc striving for perfection is great, but i'm at a loss for anything but the word perfect. Balanced, steady with peak and fall. It has elements of musical artistry in that, you understand the concept of emotional conveyance via flat vs sharp. And if you don't, you have a talent and should familiarize yourself lol

Simply put, rarely do i take the time to write this much on music unless it is worth the thoughts, and this was certainly worth the time and thought.

Well done

SkyeWint responds:

Good morning! (or afternoon or evening or night or whatever it is at your time)

"Definitely can feel the time spent"
Yay! :D

"I put this on loop and set it as background music and it fit very well to that also."
Yeah, I like making background music. Though, I also like making it complex and deep enough that if you listen to it and focus solely on the music, there's a ton of stuff in there that you can get lost. Of course, complexity isn't ALWAYS good, but...

"I wish I had suggestions to improve this work bc striving for perfection is great, but i'm at a loss for anything but the word perfect."
I'm glad that you understand that, and glad that you wanted to help make it better... and I am definitely flattered that you thought this song was perfect. ^_^

"you understand the concept of emotional conveyance via flat vs sharp"
Yeah, I think I do. :P I often shift between them, I like that kind of atmosphere.

"this was certainly worth the time and thought."
Hooray!

Your song starts out great, the delay and instruments you use are very dreamy and gets us on the right mood and completely caught by the song, as the song progresses it amazes me how you are able to add so much different things to the mix and keep each one of them flawlessly clear.
At 2:05 starts maybe the part of the song i like the least, although you made an incredible part on the brass or flute not sure which one is it, i feel that the percussion is a bit too much "in your face" style and i also dont like the background sound that sounds like a phased pad or something.
At 2:37 the songs totally gets my attention once again, it gets darker all of the sudden without me even noticing you making the change and i personally think the chimes work as a chilling element that elevates the spookiness of that part even further.
At 4:00 the song returns to the dreamy style that i love, and you nailed those guitar effects perfectly they send a strong dreamy feeling. Whenever the bass enters the song it is amazing, my congrats to that too.
So with that being said you obviously gained my respect and a new fan, your work is amazing!
Keep it going SkyeWintrest!