Reviews for "polarity"

Controls could use some work

I like the idea of the game. Ikaruga was a great game and you used the polarity concept from it very well.

My problem is with the control. I feel it would have been a lot more enjoyable if the ship was controlled with the mouse, including shooting with the left mouse button. Controlling the ship with the WASD keys makes it a little tougher to control the ship - which significantly effects our (or at least my) ability to switch back and forth between red and blue while also flying around and shooting up the bad guys :(

ugur responds:

You can also move the ship with the arrow keys and ou can also change the key setup in the settings menu. Not sure about mouse control, its a good idea but i´m worried it would affect the game balance too heavily against people playing with the keyboard.

A tight game, defeated by clunky controls.

Let's get the "Clunky controls" bit over with right away. The controls don't seem to like more than two similtanious commands (ie: shoot, left, up; or shoot, down, shift) If the player gives the game more than two commands it ignores all but one of them. This is frustrating since much of the gameplay is centred around multi-tasking. I like cursor based controls, but I reccomend against following previous suggestions to change the entire control scheme. That's too much work and might create new gameplay issues. Besides, the real problem here is not the chosen control scheme, but its execution changing the scheme may just leave us with a poorly executed cursor based control scheme, which wouldn't improve the game's playability. In a keyboard scheme however, you have to structure your commands so they won't lock up. This requires copious amounts of play-testing and abusing the controls.

The "shot polarity" feature has immasculated the poor bosses. All the player has to do is shift polarity to absorb their fire since the bosses only fire intricate vollies of red and blue fireballs. A player can defeat a boss by just standing and shooting. A quick solution might be accompanying bosses with standard fighters that continue to come in waves during the battle.

Graphics are amazng. I particularly apprieciate the full cut scenes, and complete flight animations, elements too-often ignored in flash shooters. The polarity feature doens't quite go far enough to stop this game from feeling like "another space shooter", so don't count on shooter haters being converted by this game.

We, the old gamers who like our space shooters can apprieciate this one. The best feature you have however is not the polarity-shifting thingy, but your stacking power-up scheme. Unlike so many other shooters ie: Terraburst of R-Type, Polarity maintains game balance by imposing harshlimits on power-ups, but allowing them to stack. So a player can't power up their ship to the point where it becomes an invincible engine of destruction, but if she judiciously collects power-ups, she can have brief shining moments of phenominal power and she gets multiple chances in a given level to play with combinations.

Ultimately the score I have to give this game makes me sad. There's such potential here, but it's sapped away by frustrating controls, and an appallingly low difficulty level (hint: the player appears to work for the richest military star-force ever. They have a seemingly inexhaustable supply of ships to waste on pilots who can't fly and shoot at the same time. You might want to up the score needed for an extra life, just a bit). The bones are good, the enemy AI seems well doone for a scrolling shooter, and the graphics are the best I've ever seen in flash, especially in shooter games.

PS: One final suggestion, since I'm sure you're capable of doing this. A feature I really love to see in shooters is angled shooting (ie: Alpha Bounty). Adding that feature to this particular game would give the player the option to snipe enemies of a certain polarity, and make it easier to fire around other enemies, making better use of that chain feature.

ugur responds:

About the controls:
Its sad about the input not handling 4 keys pressed at once, sadly there´s not much i can do about that i think. Its a general problem with flash and certain keyboards that when pressing certain keys together it doesn´t detect more than 3 inputs at once. I´m not sure if this has been solved in AS3/F10 layer export, but yeah, sadly i can´t do much about it in this AS2 game. You can customize the controls in the settings menu and see if it works better with your keyboard when you set it to different keys for the actions.

Regarding what you said on the bosses:
Well put, i´ll work on your suggestions.

On the rest of your post:
Yeah, you´re right, obviously people who like classic space shooters (and also ones heavily inspired by Ikaruga :) ) dig it and people who don´t like this type of game or just yell Ikaruga ripoff without giving it a propper try to see the differences will not like it anyway.
On the power up stacking: Yeah, i saw it like you but most people seemed to not like timing out powerups, so i changed that some now. Still not perfectly happy with how it is now, will think of something there :)
Also still balancing the difficulty forth and back :)
Angled shooting is a nice idea, will work on that :)

Overall:
Thanks a lot for your indepth review, not just praising or bashing it but nitpicking where its due, talking about the good sides too and giving great suggestions, really helpful and appreciated a lot :)

Not exactly an original idea...

Well, graphics wise i thought they were not bad! But i do have to say that I've seen this game in arcade centres before. It's a pretty popular japanese airplane shooter with white/black shields, same concept. I would say this wasn't a bad adaptation but the arcade version is way slicker. Not a bad try though. Most of what the arcade version had came through.

r-r-r-r-rrepe-pe-pe-titive

Apart from the repetitive gameplay it's alright. Repetitive gameplay alright.
Apart from the repetitive gameplay it's alright. Apart from the.
Apart from the repetitive gameplay it's alright. It's alright
Apart from the repetitive gameplay it's alright. The repetitive gameplay.
Apart from the repetitive gameplay it's alright. From the repetitive

map to small

i don't mind the red or the blue weapons or the simularity between this and so many other games but it seems like 4 sec into this i got 10 enemies on the board and thier coming from everywhere but behind cause you can't slow the scroll down. I played this for 3 min and got frustrated by the number of enemies that shot me from the side where i can't defend myself other then that it's ok