Reviews for "The Rise of a Knight"

Has potential

The game got monotonous quick, and didn't help that you sort of made the guard character a pecker. I mean, he would just hack anyone instead of showing any mercy. What kind of good guy is that/

SeethingSwarm responds:

Who said the guard was perfect or even a good guy? Humans arent perfect in real life, I wanted to make it a bit different than the usual game where the main character is always a goody tooshoes. This is medieval times where people are not as "civilised" as we are, and they see goblins as a menace.

Anyway, sorry you didnt like that. The guard is just doing what he thinks is best. Sometimes he is a bit unmerciful, but comparing to what they did to the other guard and also how important the princess is, I think his actions can be justified. I mean, he's under a LOT of stress. There's always the factor that he can also see his situation in the game as an opportunity. If he can rescue the princess, there might be big rewards. I'll let the gamer decide on what goes on in the guard's head and justify his actions by using an age old thing called imagination.

Very nice..but...

The gameplay was fun and the music was great. The only problem I had was that you couldn't do anything if two enemies happened to be hitting you at the right times. If you get out from behind your shield to try to run or jump or hit after one attacked you, the other would hit right then. Otherwise it was great =]

SeethingSwarm responds:

That rarely happens, but yes, it has happened to me and at least to a few other reviewers, and the combat system definitely needs improvement. This was the best I could do at the time and Im pretty proud of it seeing as I am still pretty new with making games. The sequel is under construction and I think Im good enough to fix the anoying flaws in the game and add some more exciting stuff to it. Glad you liked the game, thanks!

Great feeling, bad execution.

For initial criticism, I have to say that too much of the game involved running. I swear, there was a 15 minute long run with only three monsters (slight exaggeration, but you get the point).

The intro idea was great. I'd go as far to say it was a perfect concept. It just took too long. I just watched tv while holding down the right arrow key until I got to something interesting.

One thing that stands out is that the special attack bar refills too quickly. When you use it, it's practically at 25% already from the one monster you just killed with it. Also, the quick-attack is far more powerful than the "strong" attack. Since the enemy has poor hit-recovery, it's just too easy to spam A (holding it down, even) putting the target effectively in a stun-lock.

On a more major issue: when trying to jump over arrows or axes thrown at you, it would never work properly. The projectile would go underneath me, but suddenly it skipped to an animation of me being hit. Terrible collision detection.

For a melee-combat side scroller, having to hold down the arrow key was annoying. It should've been more like the old arcade versions of Simpsons, Ninja Turtles, Xmen, Gauntlet, etc where you move a bit, get attacked, move on, etc.

More customization content needed to be added to the game. It's very, very easy to include item drops, different weapons, and/or a skill system with the foundation that you have in the game so far. Why do you think World of Warcraft is so popular? It's because you get a sense of instant gratification when gaining levels, experience, or points. In any event, some instance of this would be nice in this type of game.

Great review, thanks!
I agree with all your points and will try to improve on the flaws and include some new elements into the sequel for this game. The foundation is set, and I can build on it and try to fix some annoying bugs like the flaw with jumping and the terrible hit detection...

Alright, not great...

First thing no one ever expects to see an acually good side scroller. You accomplished that. But there was so much you could put in.
--Armory for new weapons.
--The gay thing about if you get hit you cant hit back or move, your're stuck until they stop.
--Having exp so you can lvl up and learn better spells and stronger atk
--Quest modes, after the princess you extingish a great monster or something
--Easy to hard or godlike modes
-- You could keep swinging and not get hit.

But all in all thats an alright game so you get an 8. I really liked graphics quality and storyline.

SeethingSwarm responds:

Thanks. You have some good points like most people who have written reviews and I'll keep them in consideration. Glad you liked the game!

Awesome but not.

Great graphics.
The gameplay was simple but fun.
I didn't like how it was the same thing over and over again. And there was no pause button, need one of those next time. Also you should have some special move when you jump and attack. And when you jump you should be able to dodge attacks. I tried jumping over arrows and attacking goblins and got hit and was immediately teleported onto the ground.

SeethingSwarm responds:

Yeah, true, the jumping is a bit flawed and needs work. I think I have improved enough while making this game to prevent silly thing like that in the sequel. Im glad you liked the graphics. It was hard work. Thanks for the review!