Reviews for "LOVEBLIMP"

nice

reminds me of a submission called "Peacetank" :p

WritersBlock responds:

I quote myself: "The style and plot is very much inspired by Dan Paladin's PEACETANK animation", so, yeah, I'm glad that worked out. =P

Happy St. Cupid's Day.

Nice music

I loved the use of Prokofiev in the build up, although I've never seen that piece as particularly hate filled, despite it being the Montagues and Capulets from Romeo & Juliet :P I've always viewed it as more industrial working, belching out smoke and steam. Mind you, you did manage to capture that essence as well.

The love blimp must have some strange sort of gas within, if it can change the attitudes of these obviously male blimps so easily. Some sort of pheromones? Do they make ones that make women drop everything and chase after you? Can you put me in touch with a supplier?

Simple drawings, but I would suggest that you zoom in and use a smaller tool to draw the images - gives you better control and more clarity when you return to the normal size and it makes your lines look better, as well.

[Review Request Club]

WritersBlock responds:

Thanks for the review. I haven't heard the song in the context of Romeo & Juliet. I just had it on CD, and I think it was a song on an old videogame (Asterix and Obelix and the Power of the Gods, or something like that =p). I kind of thought of it with the deep strings and the slow processional march feel, but the great thing about it is the interpretation. To be honest, I never actually saw the blimps as having specific genders (despite fighting and war associated with males and pink and love associated with women), so I didn't think of it as the flirtaceous loveblimp wooing over the men with her channel no. 5. And I'm sorry to say that if there were a gas that made women drop everything and run after you, you probably would have known about it by now =P.

The drawing: Yeah, I'm not the overly artistic type, I went for the undertoned rough look because it was quick and (kind of) stylish. I could have gone into more detail, but it was just a quick animation I threw together. Anything I might attempt in the future will be neater. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers.

Didn't need those capital letters. :p

- Good stuff -
Well blimps are very under-used in flashes so another star for originality. Very good for your first animation becase it had all the things a decent flash needed. Good music that suits it and all the right colourse being used, also it some unusual humourism to it. The rainbow was pretty cute and it made it all up for me. <3

- Bad stuff and improvments -
It was a bit short and could of done with a bit more of a story line because it felt a bit limited in that department. You could add more of a story with it by:
Having some bad realationship with the blimps and then something came along to brighten up their day.
Like this flash did with me.

= Review Request Club =

WritersBlock responds:

Thanks for the review. Yeah, I love the blurred rainbow on the pink background. I had a lot of fun messing with filters and gradients and junk to create all of the backgrounds, but that had a nice touch.
Yeah, the way I built it up and turned it around was pretty lame. For some reason I thought the static movement of the blimp yelling "STOP" would be funny. It's definitely not the best plot I've written, so hopefully next time I'll have a smoother plot.
Cheers for the tips.

\m/

The phrase "Make Love Not War" squeezed into a tiny little flash... and it turns out pretty well!

Even though the flash is quite short and the graphics are a bit sloppy I like this flash. The message is transported simple and well.

You chose the music very well, as every piece suits the scene it is used in.

But you should try to improve you graphics. As I've already written, they seem to be kind of sloppy. Maybe using a smaller tool can help you here. And sometimes one has to draw a line serveral times before it is perfect ;) . This is of course hard work, but I think at the end of the day it will pay off and resulting in a higher score.

{ Review Request Club }

WritersBlock responds:

Thanks, yeah, the graphics were rushed, I started and finished it on valentines day, so, very tight schedule, but with some more time I've got a better attention to neatness and detail (but even there, I'm still looking for lots of helpful tips). Flash isn't really my domain, but at the same time, I've got an affinity for all forms of media, and I like to play around in flash and see what results will come out. I'm glad you liked the message, I think that it's something that's not told enough, so I'm really glad that came through the sloppy graphics.
Thanks for your review.

Great V-Day Movie

Awesome movie, with lots of cheer of the day it represents.

Graphically not the greatest but still a fun movie to watch, seemed to me to be quite like an e-card more than a movie, but the contrast between the two sections was quite funny. Maybe a little improvement on the drawing side wouldbe good. I also noticed that when there are loads of the "evil" plimps, my computer seemed to slow down, I think too many copies were ther, just tone that down a bit.

The audio was good though, nice selection. A funny story & overal a very nice flash, good job :D

=Review Request Club=

WritersBlock responds:

Yeah, I'll definitely make an effort to improve the drawing next time. Yeah, the evil blimps lagged for me too, I went way overboard with that =P
Thanks for the comments, they've been noted.