Reviews for "Squares and Blades"

Knight2 decapitates Rook1!

The first turn-based strategy game of 2008 finally makes it's appearance. Squares and Blades hurls you back into the mideval ages as one of four main characters whom you get to choose. This main character has juggle the sacred duty of narrating the story as well as the responsibility of being the Leader of a rag-tag group of warriors, so choose wisely. So, what is there for wandering hero to do in an era where personal hygiene hasn't made it to the "Top Priorities" list yet? Fight turn-based battles on giant chess boards, of course! And there's PLENTY of those.....well, 18 days worth. See, you only have 18 days to stop this "Dark Lady" from completing a ritual which will turn the entire world into.....You guessed it: A living hell! And EVERYTHING cost a day. Wanna rest and heal: 1 day, wanna re-do a battle: 1 day, wanna answer nature's call behind a tree: Yep! 1 day. The only thing stopping you from just catching a cab and cruising over to the light-deprived woman is an army of evil orcs. Now I know what you're thinking: "Orcs?! Again?" And I say, have a little compassion. Many orcs come from poor families and have to sneak into the country illegally just to make a living. For many orcs, this is the only job they can get. Well, besides working at the family resturant. Anywho! After a few skirmishes you begin a quest that will take you down the yellow-brick road of Nostalgia, especially if you've ever played any of the Fire Emblem games. The battle system will also bring back memories of radiant dawns. What IS unique about this game is Retreat system. Between an enemy's attack you have the ability to move your character piece, thus, getting them outta Dodge and sparring them for another round. Another familiar feature of the game is permanently losing characters defeated in battle. Liked that Suit Guard from the temple level that just got killed? Too bad! He's deader than Jimmy Hoffa! But, thanks to the Random Fight option, you'll manage to get your T.B.S fix without getting attached to your little hand-drawn character. Overall, a nice game with nice music and familiar game engine. Squares and Blades gets 7 orc burritos out of 10

Thunder-Hawk responds:

Bombastic!

Found a bug

Nice game. I noticed when playing story mode that whenever I re fought a battle I'd lose a day. I don't know if this is a bug or if it was intended but I thought I should bring it to your attention

Very nice but short

You made a very good and addicting game here; it tangled me and it's a cool concept, combining chess with FFTactics. Too bad that the story mode is so short. You should make more missions, and perhaps implement a save function.
The random battles are nice but I did not play them that much.

Overall a good game, 7/10

Found a glitch :P

Fun game for what I played of it. I don't know if it was reported or not but I did find a glitch. In the first mission you are allowed to have an ally (the monestary with the guard) I moved the guard back one space and trapped my main character in the corner, then clicked off so that the soldier could not move anymore. My main was trapped in the corner and unable to move, even when I tried to select/de-select her to end my turn.

I could not advance, and so turned the game off :P

Great I Like That