Reviews for "Squares and Blades"

Knight2 decapitates Rook1!

The first turn-based strategy game of 2008 finally makes it's appearance. Squares and Blades hurls you back into the mideval ages as one of four main characters whom you get to choose. This main character has juggle the sacred duty of narrating the story as well as the responsibility of being the Leader of a rag-tag group of warriors, so choose wisely. So, what is there for wandering hero to do in an era where personal hygiene hasn't made it to the "Top Priorities" list yet? Fight turn-based battles on giant chess boards, of course! And there's PLENTY of those.....well, 18 days worth. See, you only have 18 days to stop this "Dark Lady" from completing a ritual which will turn the entire world into.....You guessed it: A living hell! And EVERYTHING cost a day. Wanna rest and heal: 1 day, wanna re-do a battle: 1 day, wanna answer nature's call behind a tree: Yep! 1 day. The only thing stopping you from just catching a cab and cruising over to the light-deprived woman is an army of evil orcs. Now I know what you're thinking: "Orcs?! Again?" And I say, have a little compassion. Many orcs come from poor families and have to sneak into the country illegally just to make a living. For many orcs, this is the only job they can get. Well, besides working at the family resturant. Anywho! After a few skirmishes you begin a quest that will take you down the yellow-brick road of Nostalgia, especially if you've ever played any of the Fire Emblem games. The battle system will also bring back memories of radiant dawns. What IS unique about this game is Retreat system. Between an enemy's attack you have the ability to move your character piece, thus, getting them outta Dodge and sparring them for another round. Another familiar feature of the game is permanently losing characters defeated in battle. Liked that Suit Guard from the temple level that just got killed? Too bad! He's deader than Jimmy Hoffa! But, thanks to the Random Fight option, you'll manage to get your T.B.S fix without getting attached to your little hand-drawn character. Overall, a nice game with nice music and familiar game engine. Squares and Blades gets 7 orc burritos out of 10

Thunder-Hawk responds:

Bombastic!

Nice!

Music was kinda nice, and the game play was not too boring, and although it was a chess based battle style, the action was pretty fast paced. Good work!

hhhmmm pretty fun but i got my hero killed

This game is great but i would like some more playable charactors like mage

Pretty sweet =]

I really liekd this game as i am a fan of chess overall i give it a 9/10

Rather fun

The story was OK, alot better than those I have seen in most flash games, and the animation was rather good aswell. I have noticed that some dislike the gameplay yet I found it brilliant. It had more of an Exile feel to it. I felt it was entertaining, and tactical. At first I felt it had no tactics, but it's only when you work out the ai (which I must say was a bit bad, why was there no tactics on their side, it felt like almost random movement) you could gain an advantage. I would have liked more spells etc. possibly a longer one, more complex story, with the extra people and temporary allies. And a spellcaster and rogue class. The clases were a bit lacking in my opinion, and they were all based around the same thing, with no real point in all of them.
Overall I found the game good fun, and I hope you make more like it.