Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Orchestral Metal Piece 1"

The drums need work

It sounds like you used the presets and first drum samples you came across right out of EZ drummer or something. The kick drum sounds like someone tapping their finger on plastic, it needs more bass/boom to it. The snare sounds even worse, it doesn't sound like a snare at all :/
Wahnsinn has well produced drums in his metal songs, he's a good example of how they should sound.

The guitar tone could also use some improvement. It sounds a bit weak and could be louder in the mix (although that's probably because you're more for the orchestration then the metal side of the song).

Outside of the drum and guitar tones, everything else sounds great in the song. The orchestration is good as well as the composition and guitar riffs.

Gravey responds:

In all honesty, yes the kit is an EZDrummer sample library. But it's not the Drummer From Hell library, but rather the Meshuggah kit. And I EQ'd and compressed all the drums separately.

What I did was write down what I wanted the drums to play, and then every drum I rendered individually. Then I compressed and EQ'd each one separately. After this I then mixed them down into a full kit once again and imported the kit into my final mixing session.

So in all honesty, they sound quite a bit differently from what the original EZDummer samples sound like. Congrats on guessing the program correctly. But in all honesty, I'm guessing that was more based on the cymbals than the snare or kick. Because the snare and kick were EQ'd and compressed in order to make them sound much fuller than the original EZDrummer library offered.

I do appreciate the criticism, but I can't agree with it when it comes to the snare and kick. Because they are substantially different from the original library due to my EQ and compression work on each individual drum.

The orchestration was definitely a point in which I'm trying to emphasize with my upcoming album. Nearly all my songs so far for it have at least one orchestral break, if not two or three. So it makes me feel good you found the orchestral side of things to be substantial.

As for the guitars, I agree with you totally. As I mentioned in my author's comments, I plan on replacing them for the album. ;-)

Thanks for the review, and the criticism. Definitely always good to get a critical point of view on my music.

Not to shabby

I didn't like how the double bass sounded. It wasn't anything spectacular but better than a lot of stuff on here.

Thanks.

Hmmmm...

Not bad. :)

Thanks.

More orchestra+metal ftw!

It's always a great combination... But please, turn down the freaking drums! XP

Gravey responds:

Thanks. And sorry, but I won't be turning the drums down. I like where they sit in the mix.

-Gravey-

Too technical for my liking

I can't deny your skill, your talent, your willingness to give yourself carpal tunnel. Your song has a sort of lo-fi feel to it, but still very in your face. But the entire song is almost all rhythm, and that gets a little annoying when it's repeated and repeated. There were a few times where it seemed to build into something interesting, and the melodies played by the strings and piano were fascinating to listen to. Still, your technical skill not withstanding, this song doesn't reach out to me.

Gravey responds:

Sorry you didn't like it. Can't please everyone.