Attention! We're rallying new Supporters to help us keep ads off Newgrounds!

Please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "/M: Enrichment"

reminds me....

reminds me of old school basshunter

i swear to god i mean that in the best way possible

Mich responds:

Hah, I know. Don't worry, I know Basshunter used to produce good stuff until he got swallowed up in the mainstream.

Thanks!

Bopping around

Damn, I've been slow the entire day, but I have to admit that this one really brought me up! I'm not usually a large fan of dance music, but this one is just so oozing with happy that I can't even try not to like it.

As I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to this genre, I can only say a couple of things: I really liked the exchange between the softer parts that served as build-up, as well as the bouncing bass parts they led up to. The synths didn't really sound as something extremely original to me, but they fit the song perfectly and rounded the feeling of it rather nicely, so I couldn't really care less. Both the main melody and the fills were really satisfying in their place, and I wouldn't change absolutely anything about them.

The picked sound you mentioned was really nice, actually - it has that nice celtic harp-ish feel that I could often use in many of my songs. It also added a nice finale that differed a bit from the standard evolution of the song up to that point, which is always a welcome addition.

As I said, really liked this one; favorited and showered with all the numbers dividable by 5 I could get my hands on.

Mich responds:

I'm glad the song Enriched your mood ;-)

As I recall, I've put quite some time in making those transitions work, so I'm glad it's appreciated.
Synths not sounding very original: you're right about that. The song was originally intended to be fairly generic sounding, so it would sell better(for that album). I've committed to delivering good production though, and I hope that can be heard. :p

I'm glad you enjoy the melodies; I was happy to manage to write them, I've always seen it as one of my weaker points in music.

It frustrates me that I can't think of the name of the VSTi. I'm glad you liked it though. I believe it was a free plugin, I'll PM you the name and perhaps a link when I can remember.

Thanks for the review and the appreciation! I'm happy. :3

Good Reason

You're right about an artist never being 100% content with their work, I'm always tweaking "final cuts" thinking I can make them better, but it's for the better I leave them alone.
I gave up on trying to put together an album because I could never get it the way I thought it should go, but this song is beautifully mixed and couldn't find anything wrong with it. In fact, it inspired me to get back into doing what I ultimately love...MAKING SICK MUSIC!
(hopefully one day I'll grow the ballz to actually post some of my work somewhere)

In short: keep on keepin' on!

Mich responds:

Well, glad you're inspired again!
I'll do my best to keep on keepin' on. :3

Thanks for the appreciation. :)

Enjoyable!

I had no problems at all. I can totally imagine dancing to this, playing it at a party or playing some racing/fun video game to it. Have you considered making music for video games? you should, that would be beast. =P

Mich responds:

Thanks for the compliments! I've considered putting more time in writing loops that would fit for flash games, but I haven't really got around to it. I'm more occupied with programming to be honest.

Again, thanks!

Excellent sound

"I'm not 100% satisfied with the outcome of this; but then again, what artist is ever content with their work?"
True stuff!
First off, veryyy nice intro. I really like your transitions...they're not in-your-face and obnoxious, but nicely developed. What isn't nearly as smooth as the rest of the piece is your outtro. It did clear up toward the end, but that last note kind of left me hanging in a not good way. The bass is pretty nice, which I can especially appreciate. Effects and filtering are excellent and helped keep the variety in your song. Your melodies loop smoothly for every repetition, and they're not too catchy, but 'just right' in a way. So like, when I have my next term paper due, I think I'll be listening to this btw :)

Mich responds:

I did take my time to make the transitions smooth, so I'm glad you noticed that. AS you may notice, I actually made sure to introduce another riff when the melody was fading out, which makes things seem less empty. :)

I do have a bit of trouble making decent outros now you mention it. I usually don't like fading what's going on out, so I try to make some sort of "ending variation" on what I had playing... which doesn't always seem to put an end to the song in that much of a good way, I suppose.

Glad you like the bass, although it's one of the things I wasn't really content with; I think I sidechained it too deeply to sound 'natural'. This can especially be heard near the end of the song, when the mix isn't so filled up with other things to conceal it.

I spent quite some time automating those filters and whatnot, so I'm glad that didn't go unnoticed.

The melodies not being that catchy may be because I strayed from the typical dance chord progression (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about), so they might be less memorable. However, after having listened to the track to quite a few times, the main melody does tend to stick around (at least for me).

Good luck with your paper, and thanks for the review!