Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Into The Eclipse"

Thoroughly enjoyed

That was one beautiful piece of art.

I like the recording at the start, but I'm just curious; where did you record that? It sounds like some sort of hallway next to a machine room, somehow. It does sound great as an introduction to the smoother pads etcetera, although I don't really understand how these machine sounds fit in with the story behind the song. Nonetheless, it works.

I really appreciate your recording work here, you've nicely laid out the sounds in the stereo spectrum, and at some points even in another dimension-I got the feeling there were sounds behind me at times. Excellent re-verb work as well, it shows that you've spent time getting those effects set up properly, to achieve the right depth to your sounds. Either that, or you've actually recorded those in a space with that kind of re-verb qualities.

Anyway, the song gives of quite a peaceful feeling throughout the first 5 minutes, the person dying is lying at peace in a bed. Then at 5 minutes into the song, the theme darkens in a scary way. Everything works smoothly, yet somehow, everything gets dark, things pitch down, more raw sounding synthesizers come in (I hear a faint little saw in there), and it gives an overall scary, doomed feeling. You know the end is near.

Then the more bass-y sounds make way for a couple of lighter synthesizers, to indicate that the suffering is pretty much over, we can be at peace again, on the other side of the door. We've walked into the light, and all is, however quite sad, okay.

Here's where the breathing doesn't make too much sense to me, since the person has passed away, they shouldn't be breathing. Then again, it may be one sitting by the deathbed, who has felt what just happened, and is now breathing heavily partly in relief, for the now deceased person is no longer suffering; and partly in sadness, for they are no longer with them.

That about rounds it up. This is not quite a piece I'd like listening to when going to bad, given the story behind it. It does manage to inflict emotions in the listener very well, and I suppose they are the emotions you intended to inflict as well. That makes it a succeeded mission. Great job.

FatKidWitAJetPak responds:

I really do appreciate your extensive review! As I said in the authors comments, this song is about a man dying in its literal sense. It goes through a complex wave of emotions as he lies in bed, perhaps feeling his body lifting into the air as everything around him slows down to a peaceful harmony. Because he is dying, time around him does not make much sense. Therefore, the sounds that come in are not necessarily in time order. He breathes at the end because it is a sort of flashback in time of him breathing, as he closes his eyes for the final time. It is kind of hard to explain, but most of this song digs deep into the subconscious. However, the very ending is him simply staring into nothing, realizing that he is about to die after experiencing that last second of whatever he is experiencing.

Now that all that mumbo jumbo is out of the way, here is some technical information:

I played it all on my mac keyboard in garageband with hand crafted pads.
I recorded many sounds including the inside of a plane flying over arkansas, my fingers popping out of a bottle, me typing on my keyboard, breathing, and talking to people. i wanted it to be a sort of trippy experience with sounds that could be anything, but at the same time the sounds going on around this man as he is dying in his bed.

I mixed the reverb and stuff using a great VST for the mac called "Ambient" and "Kore Player" with the helpful audio units inside Garageband called "Reverb" and "Echo" for an extra dash of background.

Thanks again. :)

Downloaded immediately!

Do be honest, I have no idea how to review Ambient music since I rarely listen to it, but this...was amazing! It was very relaxing. Now, I didn't listen to it in the "right" mood (cheap iPod headphones, lights on, eyes open until the end) but I still found it very relaxing and wonderful to listen to. This is going straight on my iPod for when I have trouble sleeping, want to relax after a stressful day or hard workout, or whenever.

I liked the breathing at the end too. Somehow I was already in syn with the old man dying before he even started to breathe. Very well done.

I can't wait to hear your album!

FatKidWitAJetPak responds:

Thanks man! The album will be out soon, and will have abour 12 tracks, fresh album art, some some extras and junk for ten bucks :P

I just tried this.

It was great. No lights, headphones on, and an open mind and I was to say in a world in of my own. Some crazy stuff happened but I just want the whole album if this is one of the songs, because it was great. Downloaded and 5'd.

good

it sounds like somtin u hear in the end of a movie when there is a long path that people are walking down its a 10

Staring into a particular abyss...

I have a fondness for this particular sound after the beginning casm fades away, which I can tell is an authentic sample, because once the first pad starts kicking in, I had a flashback to 80s movies, where they have ambience like this post-character-trauma, the montages they show of a character's disbelief of an event, but moving ahead. Very good manipulations at work here. Haunting, eerie, but not overly so, there is a kind of reassurance in the background, like angels singing out notes.

John Cage would be pleased.

FatKidWitAJetPak responds:

I made everything from scratch actually. It isn't a sample, I recorded it on an airplane :D

John Cage wow