Reviews for "Captain Zorro"

ok...

try to add pitch and sway to the movements, and put in advanced options of speed, and difficulty.

This game is not Raiden

Everyone needs to stop comparing this game to it and look at it as it's own game. If everyone made games to be like Raiden, then it would get pretty boring :-P

Anyways, imo, the graphics were excellent. To me, the main problem was the pace of the game. It felt extremely slow. Increase the pace of the game, and players would get more excited.

Other than that, it's not a bad game.

decent graphics, poor gameplay

The production values on this are obviously pretty good. The ship design and grahical quality are pretty good. There's even shadows for the ships. However, to compare this game to Raiden X is kinda silly.

Weapon Variety: there's only one weapon type (compare to Raiden X's three). There's not even a secondary weapon until the final shot upgrade, which turns out to be useless anyway (compare to Raiden X's 2).

Upgrading System: pretty much standard fare until you get to the last upgrade - instead of your weapon system becoming stronger, it actually gets significantly weaker! I don't know what games you, the author, has been playing, but typically, when you get upgrades, your weapon system is supposed to get stronger. And what's with the final upgrade anyway? You have the single angled shots on either side, a very slow firing triple shot in the middle (especially compared to the prevvious upgrade, which shot significantly faster!), and two very weak homing missiles. I could see that as one of the lower/middle upgrades maybe, but the final upgrade? Usually, in this kind of game, the final upgrade is screen-clearing awesomeness (compare to Raiden X's final red shot upgrade ), or super concentrated beam of death (compare to Raiden X's final blue upgrade or final purple upgrade). But this? With the final upgrade, there were times where I sat there in front of a ship, shooting it with my forward shots and the missiles as soon as it came on screen up until it left, and I was unable to kill it. This makes no sense. The final upgrade should allow you to kill any ship you aim at. Ridiculous.

Collision Model: the ship is huge, and everything that collides with the whole image damages you. This is simply unacceptable. Dodging shots really isn't a matter of skill, but a matter of luck - choosing which side of the screen to be on when the boss randomly decides to fill the screen with shots. It should be possible to get through the entire game without getting hit once if you're skilled enough. But in this game, it's impossible to get through a single level without getting hit a few times due to the collision model.

Sound: Typically, I don't find sound to be that important, and I oftentimes just take my headphones off, but i have to comment here. When your bullets hit something, it's like you've won a quarter at a slot machine. WTF? If you're going to take sounds from flashkit, you could have at least used one that's more, I don't know, explosion-y? At least something where it sounds like the weapons are actually doing damage.

More on Graphics: When you kill enemies, they disappear in a little black puff of smoke. No wreckage, no corpse, nothing. They're just gone. (compare to Raiden X - enemies crash into ground, leaving a flaming crater of wreckage) This is true even of the turret buildings! Even if you were to leave out the flying units, I would at least expect there to be something left of the turrets.

Other things to destroy: In top-down shooters like this, usually, there's things to destroy other than the flying enemies and turrets. Things like houses, buildings, storage tanks, bunkers, etc. See games like Aerofighters, every Raiden game, Tyrian, Raptor, etc. In this game, there's nothing.

In my opinion, all of these things can be fixed. I think you can figure out the first two. For the collision model, the ship is too wide to use the whole ship for collision purposes. So, either use a much thinner ship, or make the collision area thinner. For sound, just replace it with a better one. I'm sure there's one on flashkit. For the graphics, whenever something dies, instead of replacing it with the explosion animation, which then self-deletes upon completion, you could have a flaming wreckage animation dependant on the ship, which crashes and leaves a crater, which self-deletes once its off screen. For other things to destroy, just do it like you do turrets, but don't make them fire or otherwise do anything.

Pretty good

Almost better than Raiden X, only thing that bugged the crap out of me was the loose controls. I would move my cursor to the other side of the screen and it would take like 10 seconds for the ship to reach there. Other than that major flaw this game is pretty good.

EHhh

Ok seriously all you have to do is move the arrow keys boring! also i really really really hated the sound when i shot something all i hear is a ding like little coins hitting the floor i expected something a little louder and more destructive......