Reviews for "Throwback the Duck Ep. 1B"

...

That was SO slow I've given up of watching new episodes.
Insanely boring.

'eh.

It's not funny, and as a result, it's not entertaining.

Of course, the art is wonderful. Shading in a flash movie with traditional animation? Amazing. I can't imagine how much time you spent on those sequences.

However whatever goal you were trying to achieve, whether it was to be this "tongue-in-cheek" humor you keep mentioning, a parody of 80's/90's cartoons, or whatever, you didn't achieve it. One of the concepts of parodying something is to poke fun at it by pointing out its flaws and goofiness and then making it apparent how flawed and goofy it is. This cartoon doesn't do that. The whole "bad acting on purpose" thing doesn't work, because instead of the viewer saying "oh I see, they're making the voice acting bad on purpose haha," he or she instead says "... the acting is bad." There's no indication in the movie that the acting is poor on purpose, and even when you know that, the way its done does nothing for that theme. The acting is just bad. It's not funny bad, it's just bad bad. There's a point where you still need to establish personalities for the characters, and dialogue alone won't cut it.

The premise of this series has insane amounts of potential. When I saw the zero episode I remember thinking "well, it's kind of boring but I can't wait for the real first episode." I could imagine how many jokes and situations could arise from digging up old has-been video game mascots and seeing how their situations apply their relevance to video gaming. Instead I was met with boring, clich├ęd situations. Bubsy working at a minimum wage job and is the target of assassination attempts? Why Bubsy? Why not any other washed up mascot in existance? His situation has no relevance to his character except for that solitary catfood joke. I can hope that episode 2 will individualize Bubsy's situation from anyone else's by the unveiling of the assassins and their reasoning, but from how it's going I can't imagine it'd be anything that has to do with his character at all.

You could have so much material for Bubsy. He was obviously a huge ripoff of the Sonic games, but the SNES didn't have any of the speed to match Sonic. Plus the game engine was horribly made. Not to mention all the Bubsy related injokes from the game itself.

This series just seems like the epitome of wasted potential. You've got this hard work ethic, incredible flash skills, a really funny premise, but the execution of it all is really lame. Please work on it, find some co-writers or something because I really want to like this series. It's just, at this current rate, I can tell I'm just gunna hate it.

What a waste of effort

The animator has some talent but the voice acting and script was absolutely horrible. That Asian man just pissed me off to the maximum level. It wasn't even the slightest bit funny. Throwback has potential, but not with the current voice actors/script writers. Very annoying voice acting. It was dull and it didn't even suit the animation at all. Throwback sounded like he had a disgusting nasal infection.

Wait... you're actually PROUD of this tripe?

Okay, fine, you can animate and draw fairly decently. Does that make this entertaining? Not in the slightest. All I saw here was an extremely bland animation about a generic, boring cartoon duck that went absolutely nowhere. It was just loaded with filler. I can honestly say you're going nowhere with this series if all the episodes are going to consist of too many pointless montages and dull, jokeless dialogue (peppered with constant video game-related namedropping, mainly consisting of "Nintendo" and "Bubsy"). It just drones on and on about nothing and I really got tired of hearing Generic Cartoon Duck #0061-7415B talk after the first minute of Part A, let alone all the remaining 10 or so minutes of this heap, and it wasn't at all helped by the extremely subpar voice acting job by the guy who does him. I can only assume future episodes will have more and more boring transitional moments and lousy scriptwriting until at its culmination the duck's speech consists of nothing but names of game consoles and internet memes.

Seriously, way to end the episode: on a 4chan phrase. FTW!!!! LOL!!!! God, I fear the worst for this series.

This series is sinking to the bottom of the ocean!

It lacks 2 things:

1. Quality voice actors

2. Actual writers

If you do not grab Throwback's voice actor by the neck and toss him to the moon, then this series will continue its skid of mixed reviews that will ultimately brand this series as just another mediocre attempt at bringing something interesting to Newgrounds. The people who are scoring Part 1A and 1B high are the ones reaalllly wanting to like this series and are being kind enough to overlook the poor voice acting, the lack of humor, and the long boring stretches of filler thats meant to do nothing more than suck up time because they believe the animation is of good quality. =(

Needless to say, I am not "really" trying to like this series and neither should any of these people giving high scores without a second thought. Why should crappy television shows be given the benefit of the doubt for any longer than they deserve? Do the people not stop watching shows they deem crappy to help ensure that said show is cancelled, preventing the show from polluting the t.v. screens with its mediocrity again? Why then do these very same people all of a sudden find it in themselves to try to like something that they do not really like, simply for the reason that it offers an idea, poorly executed as it may be, that is fresh and somewhat original.

When I first saw Throwback the duck, first thing that popped into my head was "I'm 8 years old and its Saturday morning". I guess that must have been the feel you were going for, but even those Saturday morning cartoons had their fair share of writers and good voice actors. You would do well to learn a few things from the cartoons which you mock, maybe then your series would be a relevant one on Newgrounds.