Reviews for "DS Christmas Quiz"

Lol, sup, finally finsiehd ur christmas quiz eh?

really colorful XD think best quiz yet in quality and graphic wise

IceDragon64 responds:

Thank you SFR. I'm learning! So glad you enjoyed it!

good quiz..

pretty hard.. i had to search at wikipedia twice.. some nice faqs about x-mas:)

IceDragon64 responds:

You are the second person who had "admitted cheating" by looking on the internet for the answers. Since I am a Wikipedian (IceDragon64, of course!) this pleases me greatly. I had no idea people would be that determined! This is my top scoring sub and almost all the reviews are about how people enjoyed the quiz itself and really want to find things out- a far cry from what one might think was the all- important blood and swearing one finds so much of here!

game of the month

+++++ As always, the questions are intelligently posed and the responses are well written, both informative and mildly amusing.
You start off with a couple of easy questions to get us in the mood, then soon go into realms where we'll be more unsure.

+++ Some great reference photos, etc. throughout.

+++ Level indicators show well that we've passed a checkpoint. All too often, checkpoints in these games aren't apparent.

+++ You prevented cheating!

++ 'level' text is fairly well drawn. Specially as it seems to be brush-drawn. I suggest you learn the sub-select tool and use that to clean up such things to make them cleaner though. Also, the numbers should have been drawn by yourself too, to match better.

+ I like being mentioned. Not as much as being caricatured, but still makes me smile. Thanks!

+ I do like the cheerful animations.

- I think the graphics are slightly messy Just the way the pictures of the buttons overlap, the text overlaps with the pics... and the final frame is way too messy - looks appealing and maybe good for a sketchbook page, but not for a menu. The constant animation means we notice the rollOver changes less, so it's ever-so-slightly tricky finding the buttons.
I just felt it could have been laid out better, generally.

-- I don't like the text for question 2 - specially the 'explanation' afterwards. Got it right, but you use a couple of terms that it'd be nice to explain.

--- The text working as the hitbox annoys me because the text doesn't change colour. I think it should, as that's where our focus is and you need to show more clearly what exactly we're interacting with.

----- tab still works.
hint: paste this onto your init frame (first frame, which should initialise stuff)
//right-click menu doesn't show.
Stage.showMenu = false;
//yellow rectangle doesn't show
_root._focusrect = false;

?????? Seriously, dude. It's about time you learnt how to use variables. Even if you want to keep it so that we go back after an incorrect answer (which would be maybe a fair enough design decision. With obvious, well-spaced checkpoints, interesting animations and responses, it's not annoying here) you could maybe show a score at the end.

==
Played, getting 4 questions wrong. A couple of lucky guesses. Played a 2nd time, getting all right.

Really enjoyed it. Learnt some stuff (Silent Night<=Hungary; Fat Santa<=US cartoonist) and enjoyed it all. It just has a kinda messy, unpolished vibe to it, that lets it down slightly.

Oh, and the headless chicken story was amazing! I notice they don't have any festivities for 2007 listed. I'd like to go to the US for a year maybe. Maybe I could go to Colorado for that festival...

Probably my second favourite game of the month, after James the Christmas Zebra.

IceDragon64 responds:

"Jesus Christ!" I exclaimed, appropriately, when I saw the length of this one!
I created this quiz partly with you in mind, so I am very pleased to have hit the spot with it.
- level text is NOT hand drawn its "Trendy" and its supposed to look like that- including the non matching numerals- I might change it cos I agree with you anyway!
-I spend hours trying to get all the pic and text in size and place, but as I keep inserting new ideas it gets hard! I will review these issues.
-i realise that the final Congrats page is not going to be to everyone's taste, but it fits with the image in my mind of the culmination of the 12 days of christmas theme- the manic horde of birds etc. on the final day. I confess I don't always plan where the menu should be and this time I deicded to go crazy and put it all together as part of the easter egg challenge- the result is designed to make the assembled Dragons & Spirits go bananas at the Official Viewing!
-I'm open to suggestions on Q 2. I take your point; I couldn't think of a better way to phrase the question without giving away the answer. The source facts are mostly from Wiki "Christmas".
-Text is never supposed to be my hitbox. I hate that- you click the area and miss the text so it doesnt work! Where is it? My text usually changes colour - only when the text is an overlay and not part of the button is it supposed to not change. I will hunt down any that don't change. I will try and work on the details of hit area and button interaction.
-I don't understand the reference to tab- I assume this is another method of cheating. I figured out the anti- cheat for DS Halloween for myself but thanks for the coding. I will ask Codester to explain it to me.
-I really have no experience of coding/programming and know no more codes than I use here, so 'variables' means little to me. Obviously this is how you keep scores and I think your idea of scoring whilst dying is good!
-Thanks for letting me know your score. It is useful for us.
-you're too young to forget in 5 minutes: Silent Night is Austria and baby Jesus giftbringer is Hungary!
Never mind!
It IS a bit unpolished. I am still working at the edge of my ability and everything that I change changes something else so it takes hours and hours to get it right!
SO glad you liked Mike- The D&S discuss it over and over again!
I am honoured to be mentioned in the same sentance as James the Christmas Zebra. Why do we like JCZ so much? its a really fairly simple game. Its because its called James the Christmas Zebra, really, with that perfect intro!
Ice

Another great quiz from ice

Here you outdid yourself again! The animations you used were smooth and excellent looking. The info you add at the end is always most informative as well, i think i might have learned some things. Hope to see more keep up the great work.

IceDragon64 responds:

Thank you for your continued support! I will continue with the Quiz series- DS Oral Hygiene is due out in Jan. Follow the hyperlink in More Info to see an Alpha preview.

Nice Quiz

I liked this quiz quite a bit. The music was quite good and the questions were pretty well-thought out. I still don't get how the 1st day of Christmas is the 26th. the day AFTER Christmas Day, but whatever.

I will say that you need to loop the music. It stops if you play too long and I was left there with nothing ot listen to. =(

Great job overall. I like the way you did the buttons, intros to the levels, had extra information and threw in jokes for wrong answers.

5/5!

IceDragon64 responds:

So glad you liked it, I wasn't sure what you would think.
I am told it has something to do with an very old tradition that means the day ends at sunset; Jesus born at night; 25th is the first NIGHT; Jan 5th is the 12th NIGHT Jan 6th is the 12th DAY of Xmas. whatever!
Yes I DO need to loop the music. For some reason the sound wouldn't work so I got help from my DS colleagues, who put the music in a piece of AS and I couldnt make it loop. I need to find out why in htis quiz the sound stopped at stops when it doesn't in my other quizzes. I also need to learn to make sound off buttons, I have asked others for them often enough in my 700 reviews!