Reviews for "Pandora's Book"

Truly amazing

As the person above me said, the details in the feet and in the movement of the grass were just things that could be spotted. There was only about two parts of the grass that look lifelike- the rest, animated. But hey im just impressed by the quality of this animation, its right at the top there! However i do have to say the story line was a bit..pathetic. Well done i was really impressed and liked this animation.

you have a promising talent

The character animation here is quite good - you did an admirable job showing many of the little movements and gestures that are so hard to animate. It's not the best I've ever seen of course, but it was good - keep having an attentive attitude to the world and I'm sure you'll get better. You skipped showing details like toes, which would've been nice of course, but it does take more time. I really liked how you got a sense of the characters' personalities.

One thing to definitely work on is your animation of nature. It seems like it was a bit of an afterthought here, but I think it would be a good idea next time to pay attention to how the grass REALLY moves in the wind. The here was simply not very good (just having sections of grass statically rock back and forth). The best animated grass I've ever seen in animation (gave me goosebumps) was in the film "The Humpbacked Horse" from 1947 (there's a page for it on wikipedia). Another good example to use for reference would the banner at the forums of the website "goober.nu" (the "Nim's Journey" logo).

That's about it. Good work, overall.

One of my favorites so far

Wow, I found this after watching Birds of a Feather, and I think I actually like this one better. The animation and music was rougher, but I really liked the atmosphere and snapshot of a wider story that this animation conveyed.

Really the only bad part was the tweened grass waving in the wind. It went back and forth way too fast, and rotated around the wrong point, which was enough to jar me out of the story a bit. If you fixed that little part, I would probably give this a 10.

The character design is nice; the whole situation reminded me of Lilo & Stitch, which is the best Disney movie ever. The facial expressions and interaction were well done.

I liked the little camera angle switch where you're looking into the dragon's face. That was a nice touch, which I think really added to the immersiveness of the environment. The dappled light was good too.

The music was okay, but a little too obtrusive. It wasn't bad though, and part of it sounded like a Turkish ney or maybe some Asian type of flute, which is cool. I like flutes, so it was kind of interesting to hear background music mostly consisting of different flutes.

Overall, I found this animation inspiring, in showing what is possible with fairly simple graphic techniques. I'd love to make a game or some sort of interactive artwork with this kind of display. I just finished watching Princess Mononoke, which was very inspiring, but kind of intimidating by its high level of detail. Pandora's Book showed me that you can have the same effect with simpler graphics more appropriate to Flash. Thank you!

best thing i have seen in 24 hours

really groundsbreaking stuff

Very good

I think that this is a great animation. The graphics were excellent, the style was quite original, and I admire anyone who can make thier own ideas come to life like this. Excellent choice of music as well, despite the fact that part of it is from Return of the Jedi (Yes, I am a geek and proud) it fits perfectly. Also, for a reason that I don't yet understand, it cracks me up every time. So, I applaud your work. Very good job and keep up the good work.