Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Detailed RPG Tutorial"

great work!

wow. I was amazed. great work!!! And for the review right below me, change your actionscript settings to "actionscript 1.0"

hey i need some help.

right. where theres the AS to stop the payer walking . i put each AS for every mini moviclip but it still walks it just says

**Error** Symbol=player, layer=Layer 1, frame=8:Line 1: Clip events are permitted only for movie clip instances
stop();onClipEvent(enterFrame){

Total ActionScript Errors: 4 Reported Errors: 4

im not sure what to do...ive tried a few things but none work.
plz get back 2 me a.s.a.p

the solution to get xp :p

this tutorial is old i would say dont just copy paste look into the code and everything should work perfectly

ps: if you have problems with the xp i had very much trouble with i got the code

put this code in the xp movie clip

onClipEvent (load) {

this._xscale=0;
if(this.remaining<1){
this.remaining=0;
}

_root.xp.totalxp+=whateveryouget; use this in every thing that gives you xp

Hoeloe responds:

You shouldn't reset totalxp, because that is the variable that shows you how much xp you have IN TOTAL. You should reset regular xp, but not set it to 0, minus next instead. Anyway, this tutorial is quite old, when I get round to it, I'll make a newer version

Thank you..

Although i didnt manage to get the exp bar fully done and dusted(it was slightly buggy, when i got exp the bar disappeared).This was an awesome tutorial, fit for my RPG making needs, i congratulate you!

things to note:
you might actually want to do an RPG battle scenario, because the ones i found didnt have it where it displayed damage.
all you have to do for that though, is make the random a variable and put it into a dynamic textbox,(this may be interpreted wrongly).
also it would save time looking one up :S, considering you could add a healing scene too, or perhaps an MP move?

um sorry for nagging too much, it comes from thinking of improvements too often. Dont get me wrong this was, i mean IS an AWESOME tutorial :D

Awesome tutorial except..

You lost me at the xp bar, whenever I gained xp it didnt move the bar up. Also when i gave the instance names to the hp and mg bar they automatically sized themselves? But it's the bets tut by far RPG wise... :)