Reviews for "Sky Gardening"

It has a real "classic" feel to it, not just because of the pixelart.

SourJovis responds:

Yes, I know what you mean. I don't know why that is. Perhaps because sky islands were featured a lot in Japanese rpgs. Probably because Laputa Castle in the Sky by Studio Ghibli (inspired by Gulivers Travels) popularized it. I took some inspiration from that. The clouds and the sky also look like something that could appear in classic games or animations.

i rated this one 4 the first time i saw it, and after reading your respond to Squidly, man this has so much potential with that shadow farmer down there, it adds that 4th dimension to it, if i was to made it into a game, i would make it either an action platformer or a point and click rpg. with some zoom in and out.

SourJovis responds:

It's much more interesting when there's some dual sidedness about it, than when it's just about gardening. I was afraid the shadow gardener wouldn't be so clearly visible. I wanted to make the farmer and shadow farmer larger, but the island looked better and more interesting with everything small. Good idea to have a zoom function, or to have some scenes parts of the game closer by. I had a lot of things in mind that I couldn't realize because of the large pixels. I wanted to make the water circulate like Escher stairs. But it was too difficult to pull off. Also I wanted to make a device that keeps the island afloat, like propellers, balloons. Add some mysterious steam machines. Add birds, fish and bees. But I ended up not doing any of that. Everything soon becomes too cluttered. It's probably better if there aren't too many details. The unclearity caused by the pixels leaves more to the imagination, and makes it more mysterious I hope.

I happened to stumble upon this while I was looking through some Game Jam 9 stuff. It really got me thinking how cool it could be as a number of different genres. It could fit a puzzle game in that you discover the Shadow Side at the same time the Shadow Side discovers you and you maybe have to find a way to stop it, or possibly end up switching places. It could work as a mini-RPG or platformer or even a simulator game, but puzzle would be the ideal.

It's a really cool little concept that you've got going in this picture and I hope a game based on this (I believe somebody in the game jam is trying it) really turns out well. Nice job!

SourJovis responds:

Food for the imagination. Many options on how to turn this into a game. EcoPipe is working on it yes. I hope it will turn out nicely. It probably will. He had some nice ideas, i won't spoil anything, There are many other possibilities though. Maybe it will inspire people outside the contest as well.

This is a very nice piece of art, here. :) I love the feel to it. Guy-unger is working with this screenshot too and his game seems to be even better! :) I won't spoil anything for you about his game, but i think it will win. My game will be an ok game, nothing to great, i think. I have redone the island in my own style. Keep up the good work and check Guy-unger out!

SourJovis responds:

Yes, Guy-Unger too. I noticed that later, because he announced it later. Guy-Unger's team used to be 3 times as large. Now it's split up in two teams and only the team with Guy-Unger himself will base a game of this image. A bit of a pity. We'll see which game is best next week, but it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is they're both good, interesting and different. Just try your best. Looking forward to the results. Btw if you need music let me know. You can use any of my songs. I'm not allowed to help you or be in your team, but perhaps it's still allowed for you to use a song by me. If someone else makes good songs for the game that's fine too. What kind of music do you have in mind?

SourJovis responds:

That's quite a compliment you made a song inspired by my artwork!