Create a free account to unlock the full magic and wonder of Newgrounds!

Reviews for "Helix - The Condition"

I can't beleive it!

This was submitted on my birthday, and it reminded me of an intense firefight in a street, I've been wanting to say this for a long time. You are a god of industrial music!

Helix6 responds:

I don't think it's "industrial" - see above. The action would have to definitely go between slow and fast motion to match with the song.

Amazing

This was just great, awesome work man. This puts your other works to shame, to shame!

P.S. I have to say this because it's seriously disturbing me, please don't consider this flaming. Almost all of your previous works have a repeating beat in them that is nearly exactly the same throughout every song, I'm surprised nobody else has pointed this out yet. Maybe I'm just being paranoid for some reason, I wish I could isolate this beat and send it to you so you could hear what I'm talking about.

Helix6 responds:

I'm not sure which one you are talking about... is it just a general "rhythm" or a specific loop? PM me, but I'm pretty sure all most every track should have unique rhythm loops, although some of the beats may sound very similar. Thanks for the 10.

I think this should be in a movie

I really like this, it makes me think of a movie that shows how to nuclear warheads are produced, and going through the factory. Keep up the good work!

Helix6 responds:

That was definitely not the image in my mind, but I got a good laugh when I read your review. Thanks! I always try to listen to the track while I'm responding to reviews for it, and frankly now I'm not sure what it is conjuring up for me... I am glad that it created some image for you - I always want my music to draw on some sort of deep association. It seems that is why some people dislike it (don't like the image being "drawn" out) and some people love it.

Daarkness in Shadow

Over these last couple of weeks I have been listening to your music and have noticed a slight strain of repeatition.

This shows absolutely no signs of that.

This peice actually transcends your other peices beacause of the rythm of it. It is great in it's quality and as always such an original score. Even though it is slower then your other works. This one definitely pumps it up a notch!
10/10
5/5
Post Script: Where do you get your vocals?

Helix6 responds:

I try to find all of my vocal clips from things I am actually engaged in - the particular sound sample in this song came from the *incredible* film "America: Freedom to Fascism;" a must see! I am glad you believed that this song was an improvement, my personal feeling was that it might actually be a step backward. This is due to the fact that I am trying to move in a more "mellow" musical direction. I'm not sure if I am succeeding and in turn some of my normal listeners might be a little turned off, but whatever.

Awesome!

Wow, my vote actually made a difference! (4.2 + .031 %u2248 4.23)

This is great. I'm guessing that you use Audition for the effects, while you create the raw patterns with FL and arrange them with Acid. As other people have said, this song is rough, and yet flows really well. Panning was great, too. The bass at the start is really cool; it sounds layered, with a deep triangle waveform and technoish beepy sounds arpeggiating through it. The pad that you used sounded a lot like the one in Atlantis. All the different instruments had their own tune, and yet fit perfectly. The only part I didn't really like was the bit at 3:50 with the pedal hihats and the vocals. It went a bit too long and sounded awkward. Otherwise, I loved the whole thing. The style reminded me a bit of Unless You're Free..., but as always, it stands on its own as an original great piece of music. (I prefer more buildup-style endings, though.) You must have a whole arsenal of samples at your fingertips to create these effects.
Good Job. 5/5
ND
P.S. Have you got my PM about your full tracks yet? I sent it a while ago. :)

Helix6 responds:

Actually - FruityLoops provides all sampling/effects/synth, etc. Audition is simply for chopping/cleaning/mastering each sample (and some minor alterations, reverses, fades, etc.). Acid is used to compose the final track (chopping/beats, etc.) and do some fading/panning. I have a pretty straightforward group of samples (which is evidenced in some of my older tracks), but I am starting to use effects in a lot of new ways which I've found opens up limitless possibilities for new sounds. I will check my inbox - I am *horrible* at responding to online messages. I have a hard enough time responding to all my work e-mail, and I'm paid for that.