This game has a very nice retro NES feel. I haven't played many NES games, but from those I have, this reminds me of Rush'n'Attack the most. Altrough the gameplay is different the graphic style is very similar.
The mechanics and balance of this game are great. I urge the author not to listen to reviews where people complain about overheat or landmine-bots or respawn or something else being too hard. These people leaving these reviews are just spoiled by the modern abundance of free browser games. They don't have patience to understand the game's timing and mechanics like people did in times of NES when games were scarce. I too couldn't get more then 60-70 kills at beginning, but when I realized you are supposed to tap the fire key instead of holding it and that the robots are already dead before their explosion animation begins and you don't have to wait for them to visibly blow up, the game became much easier and I raised my highscore from 72 to 233 kills in a single try!
The game is great as it is and not much has to be changed, small improvements and tweaks could have been done trough and they are the reason why my rating is 4 stars and not 5. The fallowing minor issues could make this better:
1) This looks like an endless game with aim to reach a highscore. All games like that benefit from public highscore system for players to compete. For all endless games without this feature I reduce half a star from the baseline rating.
2) Fullscreen mode
3) A certain rare combination of enemies is unavoidable - a landmine bot followed straight by a rocket
- It is too wide and cannot be jumped over
- You cannot retreat and wait for them to align because they move at the same speed.
- You cannot shoot the rocket because the indestructible landmine bot absorbs all the fire.
To solve this issue I suggest removing the possibility for landmines to shield other bots or at least greatly reduce that.
4)Is there another level after Construction Bridge? Doesn't look like there is. Therefore the black screen naming the only level should be cut out. The game takes too much time to restart after dying, which can be annoying when you just learn how to play and get used to timing of this game. Maybe the dropping letters of game's title could also be skipped. Although they do contribute to oldschool feel, so that could remain. But the Construction Bridge black screen is totally unnecessary. If there is another level trough then it takes damn too much kills to reach it.
Very fun action on overall.