It's a good start though It could have been improved if you added a currency and upgrades, worked a little longer on the graphics and stopped the lava being able to close you in; I'd suggest making it so that when expanding a square it loses another at the opposite side.
This game did hold my attention for a while, all things considered. The medals were a nice touch. Just remember to not rush these things and think about the detail.
I think I've played it for about 10-25 times now.
Lava can be behind a 'drillpower block, then grew a square biger, next to me killing me at 180m... Which is my highscore for quite a while now. It also happened later at 56m.
If you want to increase re-playability you could think aboubt this and more:
Upgrading to see downward:
- see more blocks (down) to plan.
- Or sideways to have a better idea how to get around.
- Slowing down the lava expantion/"growth".
- More maximum bombs?
yeah pretty bad, its completely random as to how far you can progress and for some reason the "lava" continually grows to encompass everything for no reason. No Hull health just instant death if you touch any piece of lava.
A decent concept, but poorly implemented. There is no skill involved at all. How far you get is determined entirely by how nice the random number generator decides to be.
When I first saw this game I thought it will be either a ripoff or an improved version of Motherload, another very good drilling game with similar mechanics that can be found on newgrounds. However this is a game with very different gameplay despite similar mechanics. For anyone liking this drilling mechanics I suggest trying Motherload which is a bigger and more complex game, but not as fast paced.
The good thing about this game is medals. Having achievements is crucial to the unending kind of score grinding (no pun intended) gameplay, to have players have a goal and keep playing. The max achievement of 200 meters is very well calibrated, because it is difficult to achieve but not impossible.
Music, sounds, graphics are okay.
Things to improve:
- Most important thing to improve is to increase the screen vertically. As it is now player can't see the bottom of a hole that is made with a bomb blast, so it is always a leap of faith, and there can be lava down there. The screen must be high enough for player to see bottom of he blasted hole and aim his fall or use another bomb. This is a major issue that costs at least half a star in my rating.A
- A more minor issue is with lave spreading over items. While lave seemingly doesn't consume drills and bombs it can destroy the miner if it stands on the other side of an item, which is counter-intuitive. Either lava should just consume items too or not spread over them.
On overall a fun game