Be a Supporter!

The Forgotten Art

rated 3.42 / 5 stars
Share Links:
Action - Fighting - VS

Click on an icon to vote on this!

Credits & Info

Aug 11, 2017 | 4:19 AM EDT

If you liked this, check these out!

Author Comments

The Forgotten Art is a game about the art of fencing.
But not the usual things you see in the movies, it looks authentic. The fencing was researched and the moves in the game were studied by me from medieval manuscripts.

The default keys (buttons) are,
Player 1:
A,S - to move
Y - duck (only from specific stances)
T,F,G,H - attack directions
Player 2:
K,L - to move
O - duck (only from specific stances)
Arrow keys - attack directions

Each attack direction does a different action depends on the current stance. See the tutorials for all the moves possible.



Rated 5 / 5 stars

A great game and i like the fact you tackle historical sword fighting from medieval manuals, of course doing that in itself is a hard task which leads to some annoying moments from time to time. but that might just be me.

The only problem i have is the fact that there is no tutorial teaching you how to apply simple moves in combat, while it's nice to know how to do them in the first place it can sometimes take a bit of time to decipher what to do in what situation.

In the end, i love the idea and you should keep going with this.

DolphiusWhaleman responds:

Thank you for your feedback and rating.
Yes I agree, sometimes the combat system can be very frustrating.
Personally I think I should have done some things a little bit differently. Such as doing zwerchhau as counter to oberhau, slower animations...
Hopefully it will only get better in the future games.


Rated 1.5 / 5 stars

Your controls lag if you inpput too many moves but unfortunately your enemies aren't bound to the same schackles. The will constantly dish out moves at a rate you just can't keep up with, thus overpowering you and killing you. unless you get a lucky shot in at the first second, you will most likely die. Taking on one or maaaybe two opponents like this is just a matter of trial and error, but eventually, you'll need to kill six or more at once. Wtihout getting hit even once. There is, however, an extensive amount of customization and a story mode, so i can't rate it too low.

DolphiusWhaleman responds:

That's not true. You don't have to click too fast to outsmart the bot.
And trust me, I play a lot my own game. You can keep up easily.
For instance, let's say your sword is forward - they might go with their sword down and do with their super-bot-efficiency a move as fast as possible. That's why you should manage your distance. By the way, I won my own campaign - I know it's possible.
I taken 8 opponents at once. You have to get good in order to do well in the story.
Thanks for your feedback anyway.


Rated 3 / 5 stars

Fun game, if a bit too easy. Poor control scheme and terrible tutorial.

Cheers for the ambition to make such a game.

People find this review helpful!
DolphiusWhaleman responds:

Thanks for your feedback and rating!
(also if you think it's too easy, try beating the quest mode, it's a little bit harder)


Rated 0 / 5 stars

i honestly cannot play this game ive been trying for hours now to figure out why 75% of the time i lose control over my sword like literally my character will be holding it in front of him and none of the controls do anything the other 25% of the time im trying to figure out why i cant stab while not in a bind or when my opponent has his sword in the resting position this is a great idea but the execution of the controls is god awful maybe id know what i was doing wrong if the tutorial explained how different moves interact and how to avoid losing complete control of your sword for a full 5 seconds (enough time to play 5 duels ) i dont care it this game is ment to be "hard core" there is something fundamental wrong when after literally 4 hours i cant get past a random encounter with bandits

People find this review helpful!
DolphiusWhaleman responds:

Before you play the campaign, you should get good with the fighting system. I don't know what's wrong with the buttons :) they are very comfortable for me. And I won my own quest mode, it's not that hard honestly (without exploiting any mechanic by the way).
The tutorial is made in order to show you what moves are there, not explain how to play.
By the way, if you spam your buttons your controls will react slower. Also when the opponent sword is on your sword you can't do anything unless your sword goes around his to make him being in the state you just were and having an advantage on him.
This game does not function like every other fighting game, you have to learn it in order to get good. But thanks for your feedback.


Rated 4.5 / 5 stars


DolphiusWhaleman responds: