I want to like this game. The platforming is fine but there are too many things that make this sub-standard - that is not bad but just below decent. Here's why:
1. No checkpoints, no health pickups. Meaning the monotonous and tedious gameplay has to be played all over again after 30 minutes of collecting coins and defeating enemies and no respite.
2. Swimming is a joke. I'm hoping you get to upgrade it later in-game but putting so many death trap pools in starting levels is cruel especially considering point 1.
3. Shuriken attack is very odd. It doesn't fly forward as you would expect with such a projectile but acts more like a drunk Mario fireball. Exacerbated by the fact it changes physics depending if your jumping up or falling down. Plus, you get a very limited number so telling your players you *can* jump on enemies would help.
4. Having to use a mouse on signs and doors. Any other game, you press Up to read and Action to proceed.
5. Exit notifications. It would be better to tell you at the start of the level how many coins you need to exit rather than wrestling the camera off the player leaving them open to enemy attacks of pit deaths.
6. No real story. A shame as there seems to be a lot effort being put into the game.
7. Graphics are nice but lack charm or polish. 2 enemies are basically the same and gems are coloured hexagons. It's decent but you hope for a little more pizazz.
Also, is there a reason - other than exits - for collecting coins? It seems likely seeing how they're scattered all over the levels including hard-to-reach spots.