don't people realise that the 'shit all over the screen' 2d space shooters have been WAAAAAAAAAAAY overdone?
this wasn't even an original idea of this genre, atleast some in this genre like the boss only one have some originality and fun
there's literally thousands of these games all over the internet and you decided that for some reason there should be another? what were you thinking?
1 star coz the music was alright
Trace's Review - Frantic III
The game really evolved from the beginning to now, I must give it 5/5. You did very well in making this, congratulations to all who supported Poly in making this.
Keep up the good work.
5/5 Perfect. Until next time, see ya.
Well, this is probably going to sound strange, but I actually really enjoyed this game! It was most likely because the gameplay was just so easy to understand. It's not one of my favorites from you, but still really cool. I basically just had to move around all the time because firing was automatic. The sounds were pretty cool too. The one I died on was Stage 2 of the second area with the giant boss.
It's bad enough when a boss has a big bar of health. The bigger bosses have three bars of health! While it wasn't that imaginative, I thought the designs were pretty good. It probably could have used some better graphics, though. It's a fun game for fans like me.
... I love this series, but sadly, this instalment is, at the time of this review, suffering from slow-down issues, although that could be the results of my ageing computer. Still, of all the bullet hell games I've ever played, and I've played quite a few, frantic remains amongst the absolute very best, this one included!
This is an early review, based on the few elements I've seen so far (i.e., I've barely scratched the surface of what seems to be a very large game!), but I'm doing it now because I enjoy the series so much and I felt it was about time to leave a review for at least one of the games, specially since they share so many (good) elements, and I certainly don't want to forget to do this. Allow me to detail me analysis:
- Graphics remain top-notch. I like the clean design you use for everything, and the overall aesthetics of the ships, and that you purposely use plain backgrounds so as to allow for better contrast. I also like the shot patterns and the small animations throughout, it's pleasing on the eye.
- The music selection is very good, although not quite as blood-pumping as the songs from the original game, which I feel fit the game better (but maybe that's because I haven't gone far enough yet). Sounds effects, whilst sparse, are well used and feel about right.
- Controls are perfect. Seriously. This is what makes this game so good, the keyboard controls are very good, but the mouse controls feel just so natural and well developed that it's always been a stand-out element the games. And, given the nature of these games, this is probably the single most element of all, so huge kudos for continuing to get it right!
- Gameplay remains as challenging and as interesting as ever, with lots of enemies and ways to play. Thanks to the immense amount of customization, this game always provides so many different ways to tackle it and lots of interesting, self imposed challenges, that it's huge asset. Love the addition of a one-hit shield mode too! This flexibility comes at the cost of any narrative, but frankly, who gives a damn; gameplay is king.
- Sadly, I've suffered significant slowdown whilst playing this time around, which is a significant problem for a game like, particularly when the game then suddenly speeds up! I.e., if it was consistently slow, it'd be a shame, but still enjoyable; but inconsistent game speeds is a big issue, when finesse is such an important part of the game.
still, overall, this is an fine addition to the series and I look forward to your future games, in addition to, hopefully a frantic 4!
Excellent shoot-em-up bulletfest, but really quite challenging!
Loved Frantic and Frantic II, to be honest wasn't too keen on this at first - but it grows on you :)
Got as far as Area4 and submitted a few decent scores, the Bonus levels are ludicrously difficult!
Getting high multipliers is a bit tricky - having to scrape to get full energy then 'playing' with bosses so the multiplier ticks up. Personally I prefer multiplier pickups (like Starmageddon).
Would have liked some 1-use powerup/skill which could wipe out enemy bullets to give a little breathing space when you're trapped by 10^9 enemy bullets. However, that might make it a bit less frantic ;-)