It's nice that you made a sequel... but it's more a graphical upgrade than anything else...
For starting, the perks... some are useless, and some usefull... but maybe not as perks but as evolutions of the ship.
- 5 lives: certainly useless, or if the player isn't good but he will go into the defensive way for finishing the game. When you know how to graze, it become useless.
- Double XP: Good perk, but maybe for later in the ranks, when it become harder to level up in rank. I've been fast rank 20 in 1 complete run.
- Double graze: Well, useless (or usefull) if you know how to graze, usefull (or useless) when it's hard. (depends of the player...)
- Double shield: Useless if you don't take the shield...
- Rear diagonal & Homing missiles: Shouldn't be perks... maybe they should be in the evolutions.
Then come the evolving tree... nothing new to the first DN8. And that's a bad point for people like me who played the first one and maybe wanted something new:
- There's, again, the Super Redrum... why don't we got other ultimate depending of the tree line? Like a "Slow-mo mode", "Triple Fire", "Atomic Explosion" or anything else...
- Maybe another treeline like "Utilitary", giving defensive & offensive power at the same time, and there goes the Homing Missile and Rear diagonal, where we can adds Tail Drones firing lasers front/side/back, Pulsating shield that send back bullets for 1.5 second when touched but less charge that the original shield (2 maximum)... only exemples, but it's certainly possible to have more evolutions
- Offensive tree can be defensive and defensive can be really offensive... I'm speaking about the defensive drones and the side/rear drones. Maybe the defensive drones should be in the defensive tree (letting the player having a ship really hard to touch) and the side/rear drones in the offensive tree (more bullets fired -> more destruction).
The challenges... has more challenges, but they're a lot faster to fill compared to the first DN8. The only one not filled yet when tipping this message is the "Combo King" challenge. (but I gonna have it fast too...)
The levels, at the start, are nearly like the first DN8... maybe have an all new serie of levels? (or randomly generated levels... it can be great and make every new game unique)
Well... I think that's al I have in mind. Maybe a next game with all this could be really nice. (it can be risky if the players prefer having the same old tech-tree...)
Also add an "old-school" option... for having the same graphism of the first one. It would be nice. ^^ (Not that I hate the new graphism... but I prefered the old ones...)
Excellent review, thank you.
Yep, being perfectly honest it was a way to learn the new 3D tech in Flash rather than a full blown sequel. We had no clue what the outcome would be regards compatibility etc. ( Turns out 80% or so of players can actually play it properly ), and we really couldn't afford spending too much time on a game using brand new tech with no knowledge how it would be received.
As it turns out, it was difficult to sell and it's not spread well, so I think it took about 8 weeks to do and that's with re-using a lot from DN8 ( Very little code, but things like the level tree / power-ups etc. ) so I think we took the right decision. If we'd have done a full blown DN8 II and it went like it has then I'd have lost even more money on the game.
So yeah, we were a "Little" bit cheeky with this one as we had to balance out the risk of using stage3D, and I'm glad we did to be honest.
Maybe next year when stage3D games are more common and if we've got enough ideas we could do a proper sequel, but there's nothing planned right now.
Thanks again for the review.
Awesome game..... Thank you....
Thank you mate for taking the time to play it and comment. Glad you enjoyed it.
i played it twice just to see what kind of power ups / upgrades i would get
Awesome game. I always used to hate this type of game because I wasnt very good at it, but you made it fun and gave it a learning curve. I just beat the game <--easy mode lol my favourite part was the boss rush, freaking insane!! 5 stars :D
Excellent, that's great to hear, thanks.
Yeah "Proper" bullet hell shooters are just pattern learning and painfully hard. We wanted a ton of bullets but to give you a chance, there's no point making a game that only a handful of people can complete.
i enjoyed the game. the grafix is outstanding and smooth with 60fps FS. at least i never seen a 3d-space-shooter with gfx like this (flash based). full respect. the fullscreen option is a nice feature - loved it.
the music is nice too for a flashgame.
means: full 5 for me
Cool, thanks mate.
Yep full screen mode was just an experiment to see how it would play ( My machine can only handle 30fps at full screen ). The game has done most of the traffic it's going to do now anyway, so it was a case of fuck it, if people have got decent graphics cards lets turn it up and see how that goes.