I see what your doing
Good try but needs a menu and physics are lagging at times! Also give the player some time after he scores or vise versa
You said yourself that this is an exercise. You seem to have done a good job with your AS3, and that's great but you are giving the community a "sketch" of a game not anything that you might consider finished. It was my impression (and if I'm wrong please tell me) that this is where you show finished work.
Work in some theme and sound next time and I will score you much higher. this is not enough to go on.
This was indeed a exercise, as a fact I believe it was a great way to practice my long awaited (and forgotten) passion of programming. I've been away from programming with actionscript and needed a project like this to bring myself back in and learn the way ActionScript 3 works (As I used AS2). My next 'game' will be alot better.
Thanks for the review.
For those who didn't realize
This game is simple and plain boring? Well, yes...if you are on your computer just to do nothing. However, if you are working, on an interval, or a bit of free time in a hectic day, this game is perfect. Discrete, quick, relaxing and a great time eater.
Don't let those who don't work fool you, this is wonderful for a relaxation. I would personally suggest adding a relaxing mode with no score limit, to avoid the workers to quit after the repetition (With a "type Q to quit this mode").
Thank alot my friend.
I really appreciate the comments and the score there. I will get around to putting a Relax mode with unlimited score limit just for you, when I get around to it. I will even PM you once done =]
Thanks again mate
Meh, there are too many of these.
I totally agree with you, There are to many games like this and its not anything special. Hopefully my next game will be more to your liking =]
Here are some ideas on how to improve this otherwise, boring game. :)
1. Add sound effects for the following: Ball collision with the paddles, Point scoring for the enemy and the player.
2. Improve the visuals. Pretty things up. Give a theme to it. Or give the player the choice of different themes; each one changing the background, paddles, and ball, and maybe including some extra stuff that is pleasing to the eye, yet doesn't distract the player.
3. Add multiple levels. Have there be a new level every 5 points the player gets.
4. Increase the difficulty over time, and or give multiple difficulty options.
5. Add some background music. Give the player a few songs to choose from, all upbeat and catchy. I'm sure there are some nice songs in the Audio Portal.
6. Add a main menu.
I hope these suggestions help. As of right now, I don't think it's good enough to pass judgment as it is. :c
I'm sorry you found it boring, But not everyone is going to like it, of course its not the best game around or best ping pong type game at any stretch of the imagination. But hey, Thanks for your review as well as the suggestions, It all helps me to improve and I couldn't ask for anything else.