Fun, but frustrating
- Hack'n'slash games are all right, but they tend to have "cheap ai subroutines": doing the same one or two moves repeatedly, often relying on quick animation, high damage, or a large "area of effect". This game kinda of reminds me of the boss fight with Bloody Malth in Ninja Gainden 1: it's basically a slugfest to the death. While the randomness of the game (levels and monster spawning) is a REALLY nice touch, the battle system is one-dimensional. Perhaps that was the idea; I'm just not into that aspect of the game.
- I wish the player characters could jump.
- Too bad monsters don't drop things when you kill them. Maybe just the humanoid guys. I don't think I'd want food from some slime; goodness knows where he might have had it. :P
- Having an AI ally is great, but the AI could be better. I get annoyed having to switch to the ally just to save him/her, or wasting potions just for the ally.
- Some additional equipment as someone pointed out earlier, would have been cool.
- Being able to use mana for things other than offense might have taked out some of the one-dimensionalness of the battle system.
- Your music sounds nice. I just wish there was an easier way to make a seamless loop with MP3s. (Not your fault; I just hate that in Flash.)
- Adding a few different sounds for the hit impact would have been better. The same sound gets monotonous. Also, different sounds when you hit different monsters would have been cool too. For example, when you hit the slimes, it could sound kinda mushy, hitting those armadillo thinges could sound like hitting a pile of rocks or something, lol. (:
- The sound effect for smashing a barrel is considerably louder than the rest of the sounds.
- Give the game characters different death sounds. They all have the same sound. :P
- I don't like how all the attacks are performed with one button. Other than that, its easy to control the characters.
- I think the pixel art is all right. There are, however, a few inconsistencies, such as the barriers on the doors. I also thought the mana bar could be improved. It should have a consistent look with the health bars (they look good, by the way).
- For the most part, the animation looks good. The walk animations of the player's characters don't look right. They should also have a run animation. Making them move fast with the walk animation really looks weird. :P
Notes / Polish / Other
- Noticed that the barrels could be bumped around heh. (-:
- Wish I could save my game somehow.
- There seems to be a glitch with your computer ally. When you first enter a room with monsters, your ally will attack, even if there are no monsters in the the immediate area.
- Screen transition effect doesn't look right. A simple scroll to the next room would have looked better.
- Sometimes, the floating eye will just sit there and not attack. Not sure if that's by design or not.
- When the instructions are open while in-game, you should pause the game. It should be the same as when you pull up your map.
- Sometimes, the ally's movement jerks around when following you. This happens when I run in one direction, then stop running, and just walk in that same direction.
- I like how you can mute music and sounds separately. (:
I really would like to get into this game, but there just isn't enough there. If you ever make another, or improve on this one, let me know. (:
* salutes *
- Ziro out.