Doomo! Read the instructions or you'll fuck up! In this game, pilot the only red particle against a myriad of hellbent gray and yellow particles! Submit your scores worldwide by downloading the home edition (linked in the game menu). I got very good at this in making it, so I'm not going to try at highscores until some other people get good.
- This game arose from an attempt to recreate Asteroids. I began with a number of gray particles zooming toward a user-controlled red one. I thought I might add the ability to shoot down the other particles. The ordinary particles got boring, so I added sentient ones to follow the user rather than fly offscreen. I also decided to make versions of these that actually shot at the user. I figured these could be organized in twenty-second waves. The whole thing, of course, needed a scoring system, and why not project scores worldwide? I thought a major enemy would be cool, so I made a huge yellow particle with heavy firepower. The whole time, I stuggled with optimization and I was able to keep it under five hundred kilobytes. All acounted, I began work on this about a month ago (although the entire gameplay system was finished in ten days).
- Enemies don't come at you from the bottom border
- You can go backwards and press yourself against a wall to play defensively
- Drifters do not turn; they only aim at you when they are spawned
- Smashers can be rounded into a small group and taken out if you can get a bead
- Shooters should be dealt with offensively; if you let up, you will get hammered
- The multiparticle takes forty hits to defeat; its explosion will kill you on contact
- Occasionally, an enemy will appear in the top-left corner; when you fire, your bullet spends one frame there, so they will cancel each other out, and you won't be firing anything. Solution: fire again
- Sometimes, one shooter will have the tendency to do all the firing, while the others mill about. This isn't actually a bug, it's a natural part of their programming. The unnatural part is that this itchy trigger-fingered particle sometimes becomes invincible. I cannot for my left nut figure out why this happens. Even stranger is that this one DOES die once another has been shot. Solution: shoot everything else and pray for safety
- Biggest bug: The boss has a slight tendency to 'go bananas' (as my psychiatrist describes it) when you pause during its round, especially as it is exploding. Solution: avoid pausing during the boss round
- The pause screen's sliders sometimes get disabled and transparent copies appear behind them. Don't ask me how or why. Solution: don't fuck with the sliders too much