00:00
00:00

Looking for a Veteran Programmer

2,624 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 05:24:49

hello i'm looking for a very experienced and/or all around knowledgeable programmer for a game i'm making.

No this is not me half ass asking around for a programmer because i'm bored and want to attempt a game, i actually need someone who knows what they are doing because i have a semi large game mapped out for the most part and graphics on their way. I tried to get as much of the game concrete before even attempting to ask so i wouldn't set myself up for a half finished game thrown into the unsightly "will never be completed" bin... So i'm looking for YOU!!! Mr. hardcore flash game programmer. What i need from you is to work hard and want to finish this game, and to expect the same from me. If you have problems with my work or have criticism i'd hope you give it to me and want constructive feedback from me as well. (point of that is that we are on the same page with things)

what i don't want is an online game tutorial whore who can copy and paste and doesn't really understand what he/she's coding because that's what i would do lol Because if we need to tweak something and you don't have a grasp of what you're doing... all hell breaks loose.

anyway as for the game ill give you all the details when we are working together. I am completely fine with 50/50 for all income, and only ask that you do the scripting.

Things that are a plus,
someone who's has free time and is online often/ or responds quickly
someone with examples
not extremely immature
has played mario rpg lol

a few details about the game so you can't say i didn't tell you anything beforehand
a full party RPG adventure
colorful style (i hope, at least on my end)
the dreaded random encounter battle system (somewhat dynamic with location...)
2D platforming in the levels.
Story, but definitely not a game that is more reading than playing.......

i know this sounds like i'm asking the world and not giving you anything but i have really high hopes for this and want nothing more than for this to work and i think i have enough work complete to prove i'm dedicated at least.

the graphics are NOT what you might expect in a normal "IM A KNIGHT GOING ON AN ADVENTURE!! LETS SLAY A DRAGON" game. it's a bit imaginative and out there. I wouldn't go close to saying cell shaded but if you are familiar with games with that i hate to say childish? feel.
what my point is if you don't like or don't want to be a part of a game like that, then the choice is up to you.

ok well here is my small list to show what i can do, or a glimpse at my style.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/4008/162 56_LOOKING_FOR_YOU.php
this is a small section of a level Background idea for the first stage after the opening scene and "training" just a simple looking set of hills
(note that it's not finished but it gives you an idea of the feel)
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/4008/162 56_LOOKING_FOR_YOU.swf
same thing... this is just the lightbox version or something... i have no idea what that means, it's just bigger.

this is something i worked on for the better part of 2007-2008 off and on... and even earlier. This is out there but gives you more of an idea of what the style could have.

and again another short example. whipped this up in a couple days.

at this point in time i have a story, 14 enemies colored and shaded and plenty more sketched. (unfortunately this does NOT include attack animations etc... but this is early dev) and a bunch of dialogue written out. This game is NOT completed in terms of ideas but with what i have it's a big game but i've given breathing room.

I told myself i'd get as MUCH done before asking, but I'd like to share the fun (and burden... not going to lie) so i can see this bad boy through.

thanks to those who are interested... now get posting !

contact through PM, here, or AIM
aim = acewild612

go go go

-Jones

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 05:42:55

This guy is awesome. ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 05:47:40

At 11/29/08 05:42 AM, GustTheASGuy wrote: This guy is awesome. ;D

no u.
<3

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 05:53:56

At 11/29/08 05:42 AM, GustTheASGuy wrote: This guy is awesome. ;D

You are the best programmer here.
Just wondering why you never actually make anything or take on any projects.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 13:57:59

back again today.

on a side note... L4D is nasty on expert...

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 16:10:52

here's an example of what you might see in this game :O

only showing this dude because i've shown it before so it's not like revealing anything super big.
so you are not confused beyond belief...

this is a witch doctor who had his mind/soul/everything transferred into his pet snake. (yes there is an evil hand at work) random, but makes more sense in the game. Here is "Doovoo"

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 16:46:55

TLDR, just clicked ur submissions... and absolutely loved them!

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 17:26:10

At 11/29/08 04:46 PM, mooseisloose wrote: TLDR, just clicked ur submissions... and absolutely loved them!

TLDR (too long didn't read) never heard of that, but it makes sense haha.
yeah i just wanted people to know the details because i'm serious about this, so i put it all out on the table.

but thanks for checking out the submissions none the less :D

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 18:12:27

Can you tell us a little more about the game? What do you mean by RPG? I would assume FF style top-down RPG, but since there's platforming to it I'm kind of confused as to what you want this game to be.. x_x

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 18:18:34

Wow!
Your game art is great!

If only I could program well...
Anyways...
Good Luck with your project! :D

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 18:36:32

At 11/29/08 06:12 PM, Wurmy wrote: Can you tell us a little more about the game? What do you mean by RPG? I would assume FF style top-down RPG, but since there's platforming to it I'm kind of confused as to what you want this game to be.. x_x

to try to clear this up here's the idea:

world map: dots with lines connecting (you know the normal world map but i'm using a revolving world kind of like the menu the submission "monster's dream" but obviously not as dramatic.

once you select a level you will start in a 2d platform type level. Movement will be similar to most platform games

arrows to move. sprint button / jump button / "use" button (which will be dynamic with surrounding. example when next to a character you will start a convo. near a door you will go in. near an item you will pick it up. near an object you will interact with it.

so far this sounds like a 2d platformer. but the RPG element comes in with random battles while in a hostile environment.

so here you are walking along 2d then you get attacked and now you are in a fight window with your character (and team once they tag along) and your enemies.
So think FF but moving around is 2d plat.

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 20:20:28

Hey I'll try :3 can I?

JAYE 19 | Flash | Advertise Here |

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 20:21:37

hello

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 20:30:01

At 11/29/08 06:36 PM, animatorjones wrote:
At 11/29/08 06:12 PM, Wurmy wrote: Can you tell us a little more about the game? What do you mean by RPG? I would assume FF style top-down RPG, but since there's platforming to it I'm kind of confused as to what you want this game to be.. x_x
to try to clear this up here's the idea:

world map: dots with lines connecting (you know the normal world map but i'm using a revolving world kind of like the menu the submission "monster's dream" but obviously not as dramatic.

That kinda "sounds" easy

once you select a level you will start in a 2d platform type level. Movement will be similar to most platform games

So you just left and right button then the BG moves with thats a piece of cake *yum^

arrows to move. sprint button / jump button / "use" button (which will be dynamic with surrounding. example when next to a character you will start a convo. near a door you will go in. near an item you will pick it up. near an object you will interact with it.

Just some basic hittest seriously there tons of tutorials out there to make this game

so far this sounds like a 2d platformer. but the RPG element comes in with random battles while in a hostile environment.

Oh.......

so here you are walking along 2d then you get attacked and now you are in a fight window with your character (and team once they tag along) and your enemies.

Just like the game "Sonny"?

So think FF but moving around is 2d plat.

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 20:40:13

i never played sonny very far but what i do remember was clicking a fight then playing. do you ever actually walk around? I really should play it, it's got great reviews i just never got around to it.

the game i would most closely relate this to in terms of playstyle would be mario rpg / paper mario

but with 2d out of battle movement.

if you are interested though i'd love to see some examples of your work :D

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 21:15:00

I got a pretty good engine similar to Sonny but it's on a flying carpet in pakistan.

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-29 23:01:07

sorry ill be back on in a bit. Thanks for those who were interested

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 01:21:08

Contact me. Here is a preview of a basic platform engine. Just a few platforms and jumping. I could take it a lot farther.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/4008/734 45_Platform_Engine.fla

Just to show I can code this for you.

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 01:47:23

Hey jones, I am terrible with programming, but if you need and backgrounds or any sort of doodads (crates weapons) I would gladly help you!

Im here to help!

Check out my art!

Certified Art Patrol

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 02:13:26

That monsters dream movie was awesome. I'd be happy to work with you if the project wasn't so big. An rpg is gonna have alot of art and no doubt alot of programming. If you ever decide you'd like to make a smaller game let me know.

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 03:49:16

At 11/30/08 02:13 AM, Chainsawasaurus wrote: That monsters dream movie was awesome. I'd be happy to work with you if the project wasn't so big. An rpg is gonna have alot of art and no doubt alot of programming. If you ever decide you'd like to make a smaller game let me know.

thanks haha, yeah it's going to require plenty of art and scripting (although i honestly don't know from my end what the scripting work level is going to be but guessing you'd be busy) my tablet is getting abused... thanks for the smaller game offer though will def keep that in mind, although i'm part of a 3 man crew atm for smaller games.

Show-R-stud thanks as well. i watched some of your movies, good stuff :D

i responded to the PMs just waiting for you all to be online so i can see some examples and what not.

thanks everyone

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 04:06:32

dude I remember you from back in the day

unfortunately I'm rather busy lately

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 04:53:44

if you need someone to make some voice clips for you id be glad to help for nothing more than a name somewhere unimportant, nothing so far to show i can do some voices but its something to consider...people have to start somewhere and id gladly give it my all

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 05:08:32

At 11/30/08 04:06 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: dude I remember you from back in the day

unfortunately I'm rather busy lately

hey, yeah haven't been all too active until 2008.

:C you're busy... that's a shame, you have quite the portfolio now! love your games... keep them coming

theomancer thanks, but i think i'd like to keep it old school with the text box (or something close to that) good luck though, and i'm sure you will find work. People are always looking for good voices!

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 05:11:40

At 11/30/08 05:08 AM, animatorjones wrote:
theomancer thanks, but i think i'd like to keep it old school with the text box (or something close to that) good luck though, and i'm sure you will find work. People are always looking for good voices!

well if you need a voice for anything in the future i should be around

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 05:44:50

At 11/29/08 08:40 PM, animatorjones wrote: i never played sonny very far but what i do remember was clicking a fight then playing. do you ever actually walk around? I really should play it, it's got great reviews i just never got around to it.

the game i would most closely relate this to in terms of playstyle would be mario rpg / paper mario

but with 2d out of battle movement.

if you are interested though i'd love to see some examples of your work :D

Damn, I am really busy with some work at school but I got some pretty old work flash here but that was way time ago and there there where really lots of bugs that I didnt bother to fix but here dont worry I dont suck that much by just looking at this game I grown better now :3

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 10:37:51

Here is a sample background and a crate for ya.

Im here to help!

Check out my art!

Certified Art Patrol

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 10:45:35

Then we add in a character! =D

Im here to help!

Check out my art!

Certified Art Patrol

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 11:12:23

At 11/29/08 04:10 PM, animatorjones wrote:
this is a witch doctor who had his mind/soul/everything transferred into his pet snake. (yes there is an evil hand at work) random, but makes more sense in the game. Here is "Doovoo"

Very nice. Love the artwork. Unfortuneatly, like Glaiel, I too am busy lately :(

Response to Looking for a Veteran Programmer 2008-11-30 11:49:08

At 11/30/08 03:49 AM, animatorjones wrote: i responded to the PMs just waiting for you all to be online so i can see some examples and what not.

I will send my engine if I find it

BBS Signature