00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

NG Vegetarian Community

48,480 Views | 583 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-27 15:24:48


At 12/26/08 11:15 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 12/26/08 06:27 PM, shabbo wrote: I had some trouble getting home so im back now.
Because of the snow? How was the ski trip?

Not good, I broke an arm and an ankle. My GF broke up with me.
So yeh it sucked.


BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-28 22:36:10


At 12/27/08 03:24 PM, shabbo wrote: Not good, I broke an arm and an ankle. My GF broke up with me.
So yeh it sucked.

Wow, I'm sorry. I just got broken up with a couple months back, so I guess I can relate. Again, I'm really sorry about that.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-29 14:24:35


At 12/28/08 10:36 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
At 12/27/08 03:24 PM, shabbo wrote: Not good, I broke an arm and an ankle. My GF broke up with me.
So yeh it sucked.
Wow, I'm sorry. I just got broken up with a couple months back, so I guess I can relate. Again, I'm really sorry about that.

Why are you sorry? But thanks for being so nice :).


BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-29 14:41:12


At 12/29/08 02:24 PM, shabbo wrote: Why are you sorry? But thanks for being so nice :).

fine, replace "i'm sorry" with "my condolences."

but you're welcome.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-29 14:44:32


Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?

Honestly when I look at a cow or a pig, I usually feel sorry for it and I'm sometimes sad because I know it will get slaughtered so it could get eaten, but when I'm actually eating the meat, I don't think that it came from a living thing.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-29 14:46:43


At 12/29/08 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?

1. Animal rights
2. Moral aversion to the consumption of animals and the causing of suffering
3. Environmental reasons
4. Anti-capitalism
5. Health reasons
6. Taste of meat.
7. Religious reasons
8. It's cheaper
9. There's more, I'm just lazy :P

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-30 20:27:56


At 12/30/08 07:44 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 12/29/08 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?

Honestly when I look at a cow or a pig, I usually feel sorry for it and I'm sometimes sad because I know it will get slaughtered so it could get eaten, but when I'm actually eating the meat, I don't think that it came from a living thing.

Now it's time for me to play the good cop... Oh wait how can I be good cop when Sensationalism wasn't being a jerk... I know: we don't like BAD BAD meat because we think it's gross.


.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-31 16:00:25


At 12/30/08 10:11 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 12/30/08 08:27 PM, kittenclock wrote: Now it's time for me to play the good cop... Oh wait how can I be good cop when Sensationalism wasn't being a jerk... I know: we don't like BAD BAD meat because we think it's gross.
Haha, sorry. Not in a pissy mood today.

Meat is SO gross!

Just give up the good cop bad cop thing.


BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-31 16:06:37


At 12/31/08 04:00 PM, shabbo wrote:

:: Just give up the good cop bad cop thing.

YES SIR!


.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-31 17:41:47


At 12/31/08 04:06 PM, kittenclock wrote:
At 12/31/08 04:00 PM, shabbo wrote:
Just give up the good cop bad cop thing.
YES SIR!

And the yes sir thing.


BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-31 21:03:30


I've been a vegetarian since I was 7, and became a vegan my junior year of high school (I'm a college senior now). However, I recently quit veganism because I realized it was likely doing more harm than good in my food-based politics. Largely, I came to the realization that eating the college cafeteria's non-vegan but vegetarian option would demonstrate a need for vegetarian food, whereas eating simply vegan foods in the soup, sandwich, and salad bars was not making clear that there was a demand for vegetarian food. So recently, I've been eating cheese and cream sauce and so on, in order to eat the vegetarian entrees. Can I get some feedback from the vegetarian crowd, was this the right way to go?

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-31 21:10:05


At 12/31/08 09:03 PM, AntiangelicAngel wrote: I've been eating cheese and cream sauce and so on, in order to eat the vegetarian entrees. Can I get some feedback from the vegetarian crowd, was this the right way to go?

Yep, at least I think so, you could ask for tofu versions of foods with meat. Which gives them a reason to buy tofu, and support vegetarian's.


.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2008-12-31 21:23:13


At 12/31/08 09:03 PM, AntiangelicAngel wrote: I've been a vegetarian since I was 7, and became a vegan my junior year of high school (I'm a college senior now). However, I recently quit veganism because I realized it was likely doing more harm than good in my food-based politics. Largely, I came to the realization that eating the college cafeteria's non-vegan but vegetarian option would demonstrate a need for vegetarian food, whereas eating simply vegan foods in the soup, sandwich, and salad bars was not making clear that there was a demand for vegetarian food. So recently, I've been eating cheese and cream sauce and so on, in order to eat the vegetarian entrees. Can I get some feedback from the vegetarian crowd, was this the right way to go?

It depends on your reasoning behind your vegetarianism. If you compromised your ideals behind your veganism to go vegetarian again, not cool. But if you believe it's for the greater good, more power to you. As long as you're not eating meat!

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-02 20:11:41


Your brothers a deek.


BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-02 20:28:00


Just got back from England. only related thing to this club I can say about it is that my girlfriend is now vegetarian. Because she wants to, not because I am :)
Yay!

We had a great time btw ^_^

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-03 02:18:26


At 1/2/09 08:11 PM, shabbo wrote: Your brothers a deek.

Agreed. does he eat non organic meat? Because that's probably why he is being a jerk, due to the hormones they put in.


.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 00:51:25


My buddy has become a vegan for New Years. I had some vegan chocolate and it wasn't half bad; tasted like advent calendar chocolate, not especially creamy. But he lives slap bang in the immigrant district and there are loads of little shops selling all sorts of stuff so he can easily make his own food from scratch. Seems like a wee bit too much effort but I'll observe him and see how he does.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 01:09:13


At 1/4/09 12:51 AM, Earfetish wrote: My buddy has become a vegan for New Years.

Tell him that the Newground's vegetarian crew strongly supports his choice. (Wait we support it, right?)


.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 04:23:46


al right i have just reached the 6 month hurdle today. HURRAH'S!!! okay my reasons

-Look, your eating something that was walking around, alive and happy, then it was killed, cut up into little peices and heated with blood still coming out, then you place that animal between your teeth and let it slide down your throat. (sorry if im getting anyone sick) my point is, its barbaric.

-secondly, the earth is already starving, and it can support something like 5 times its current population if no one ate meat. how about that!

-thirdly, its sort of in protest against these adds that have been on my tv about six months ago. it basicly said that you had to eat meat to grow up healthy. (the slogan was "Red meat: You were meant to eat it") disgusting.

i think thats about it. oh, by the way, you wanna eat meat and be a barbarian, be my guest. but think about what your eating.


I AM THE ULTIMATE OVERLORD, RULING AS THE WORLD'S MOST SUPREME BEING!!

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 07:37:40


At 1/4/09 12:29 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 1/3/09 01:14 AM, Dragonberry wrote: me being a vegetarian < 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000001 picoseconds
What??

I seriously don't get it...

I think he just means he's been a vegetarian for that amount of time. Then gave up or something.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 07:39:55


At 12/29/08 02:44 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Why do people go vegetarian? The taste of meat? The thought about eating innocent animals? Some other reason?
Honestly when I look at a cow or a pig, I usually feel sorry for it and I'm sometimes sad because I know it will get slaughtered so it could get eaten, but when I'm actually eating the meat, I don't think that it came from a living thing.

Isn't it odd that you answered your own question? We're not in denial about how meat comes from living things, and by your own admission, you are!

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 14:20:05


Hey guys, what's up?

I'm a meat eater lurking around in your crew a bit to get a feel for what motivates you. I've always been able to understand why people become vegetarians though, but I was just wondering if there was something else I never heard before.

That's also why I quoted this post right here:

At 1/4/09 04:23 AM, Doopliss0011 wrote: al right i have just reached the 6 month hurdle today. HURRAH'S!!! okay my reasons

Congrats.


-Look, your eating something that was walking around, alive and happy, then it was killed, cut up into little peices and heated with blood still coming out, then you place that animal between your teeth and let it slide down your throat. (sorry if im getting anyone sick) my point is, its barbaric.

I get your point, but exactly how is it barbaric? Ending a life, is that the barbaric part? Or is it ending the life of an organism that knew it was alive?

I can see why people don't eat meat because it requires you to end a life, but I also know that without doing so, we would never be where we are today as a society.


-secondly, the earth is already starving, and it can support something like 5 times its current population if no one ate meat. how about that!

The earth carrying 5 times its current population isn't actually a good thing. Wether we eat meat or not, our population grows, though scientist have prove that indicates that our current ways of living will cause the human population worldwide to stay at around 7 billion people. It won't grow any larger than that and I think not eating meat won't change a thing about it.
Also, more people on this earth will only cause more trouble (think about wars over territory, wars over wealth, extremely large need of energy and wars over who gets that energy, etc.)

Though I guess your point is not really that, but us stopping eating meat will allow us to have more food.


-thirdly, its sort of in protest against these adds that have been on my tv about six months ago. it basicly said that you had to eat meat to grow up healthy. (the slogan was "Red meat: You were meant to eat it") disgusting.

They're just trying to make money like every other business does. If enough people fall for the same old tricks and lies, they'll just keep repeating them. Has got very little to do with vegetarianism, and more with capitalism or commercialism.


i think thats about it. oh, by the way, you wanna eat meat and be a barbarian, be my guest. but think about what your eating.

Haha, I especially love this piece right here. What you're basicly saying is that you don't mind people eating meat, though it does make them barbarian. That to me seems a lot like you do care, otherwise you wouldn't call them barbarians, would you?

Also, my reasons for not becoming vegetarian are simple:
- I've always been healthy, so becoming vegetarian won't change anything about that.
- Wether I stop eating meat or not, it won't change a thing about how many animals are slaughter for meat consumption.
- I don't find eating meat gross, I actually enjoy it, even after seeing the entire process of what the animal and meat go through before I eat it.

What I do find disturbing, though it's got little to do with vegetarianism, is how they treat most animals. I have nothing against eating meat and brreding animals for that purpose, but I do believe it could be done in a way better way to make the animal at least a bit happy.


"Never was anything great achieved without danger." - Niccolo Machiavelli

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 18:06:07


At 1/4/09 02:20 PM, Vincoid wrote: - Wether I stop eating meat or not, it won't change a thing about how many animals are slaughter for meat consumption.

Yes it will. Must I explain free-market capitalism and consumerism to you?

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-04 21:30:35


At 1/4/09 02:20 PM, Vincoid wrote: Hey guys, what's up?

I'm a meat eater lurking around in your crew a bit to get a feel for what motivates you. I've always been able to understand why people become vegetarians though, but I was just wondering if there was something else I never heard before.

:(he quotes most of my earlier post)



Also, my reasons for not becoming vegetarian are simple:
- I've always been healthy, so becoming vegetarian won't change anything about that.
- I don't find eating meat gross, I actually enjoy it, even after seeing the entire process of what the animal and meat go through before I eat it.

What I do find disturbing, though it's got little to do with vegetarianism, is how they treat most animals. I have nothing against eating meat and brreding animals for that purpose, but I do believe it could be done in a way better way to make the animal at least a bit happy.

hey, dude, i agree with you on most points, especially that last one. i know i don't have any power over other people to make them stop, and frankly i don't want to. its everyone's individual choice, but yeah, they need to gve the animals some ray of happiness in their life. i wasnt really clear in my last post, so, clarification: if you know what those animals go through, and your okay with that, your a terrible, sick, barbaric person.
i dont know how seeing the procces of slaughtering can't make you think twice about it, but i digress.

- Wether I stop eating meat or not, it won't change a thing about how many animals are slaughter for meat consumption

okay, fair nuff, but if everyone was like that, then nothing would be done.
if everyone stopped eating meat, then what would happen?
alternatively, if all vegetarians started eating meat, the market would skyrocket. i'm not being very clear, i know, but my point is that your idea is a bit shortsighted don't you think. but, hey, thats just me and my opinion.


I AM THE ULTIMATE OVERLORD, RULING AS THE WORLD'S MOST SUPREME BEING!!

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-05 04:46:45


At 1/4/09 09:30 PM, Doopliss0011 wrote: okay, fair nuff, but if everyone was like that, then nothing would be done.
if everyone stopped eating meat, then what would happen?

Oh, I understand what would happen then, I'm just saying that if I were to stop eating meat, it wouldn't change a thing because it's not a big enough influence on the entire market.
Sure, if all people did, it would revolutionize the way we live, but I'm realistic enough to know that that will never happen. I also do not think that it's this idea that keeps people from becoming vegetarians, but that they don't find it necessary anyway to become one.

alternatively, if all vegetarians started eating meat, the market would skyrocket. i'm not being very clear, i know, but my point is that your idea is a bit shortsighted don't you think. but, hey, thats just me and my opinion.

You're being clear enough, I on the other hand wasn't.


"Never was anything great achieved without danger." - Niccolo Machiavelli

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-05 05:02:57


At 1/5/09 04:46 AM, Vincoid wrote: Oh, I understand what would happen then, I'm just saying that if I were to stop eating meat, it wouldn't change a thing because it's not a big enough influence on the entire market.

"If I stopped paying human traffickers, it wouldn't make any difference on the overall market, so I'll continue."

It makes a small difference. Your life does not involve these immoral acts. If people eat 1 animal a day then in less than 3 years 1000 animals will not have lived these horrible lives unnecessarily.

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-05 05:34:47


At 1/5/09 05:02 AM, Earfetish wrote:
At 1/5/09 04:46 AM, Vincoid wrote: Oh, I understand what would happen then, I'm just saying that if I were to stop eating meat, it wouldn't change a thing because it's not a big enough influence on the entire market.
"If I stopped paying human traffickers, it wouldn't make any difference on the overall market, so I'll continue."

Good example, though completely useless considering that I don't think there are any benefits to that.

And sure, if it were only this reason that was stopping me from becoming vegetarian, I would've already been convinced and had stopped eating meat.
The combination of all my pros and cons however leave the cons with very little effect on my pros.


It makes a small difference. Your life does not involve these immoral acts. If people eat 1 animal a day then in less than 3 years 1000 animals will not have lived these horrible lives unnecessarily.

That's why I think the animals should be treated better. The slaughtering itself is no problem for me as it is painless, but the way animals are treated right now is wrong.


"Never was anything great achieved without danger." - Niccolo Machiavelli

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-05 16:34:50


At 1/4/09 04:41 AM, Sensationalism wrote: I don't know much about meat, so I have a question.

You know like when someone has a piece of uncooked meat in the fridge and there's like a pool of blood around it? Is that blood? And why is it there?

Its mostly sauce and spices ,and yes some blood.
And I have one in my fridge but its not mine.

As I said I live with 3 other people.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-05 16:39:26


At 1/4/09 04:23 AM, Doopliss0011 wrote:
-secondly, the earth is already starving, and it can support something like 5 times its current population if no one ate meat. how about that!

If its animals then, some animals need to die I mean You DO want to stay the dominant species right?


BBS Signature

Response to NG Vegetarian Community 2009-01-05 16:42:01


Sorry tripple post.

My inbox has been spammed with 157 pms about our club!


BBS Signature