00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kekiiro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Universe Collab

51,236 Views | 1,015 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 05:53:01

At 7/18/09 04:42 AM, MarsYam wrote: The past month I was studying for my final exams and to be honest I thought this Collab was dead.
But it's good to be wrong this time. And mrty, make something cool and you can have the part. :)

You aren't going to be disappointed. Also, good luck with exams and all that.

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 07:29:17

Here's what I have so far. The movie itself is finished unless I receive some feedback about improving something, and I think I will.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/180709/5 1856_animalsdinos.php

The song: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 82470

The second scene loops.

I hope you like it.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 07:31:00

Oh and, the first scene is kinda slow for some reason, but maybe it's only on my computer. Please tell me if it works slowly.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 07:44:59

At 7/18/09 07:29 AM, mrty wrote: Here's what I have so far. The movie itself is finished unless I receive some feedback about improving something, and I think I will.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/180709/5 1856_animalsdinos.php

The song: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 82470

The second scene loops.

I hope you like it.

Shade that big guy in the back.

And I think it would be best to combine MarsYam's part and this one. Having them one after another.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 07:55:01

At 7/18/09 07:44 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Shade that big guy in the back.

And I think it would be best to combine MarsYam's part and this one. Having them one after another.

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think Archon will allow that. 2 people doing the same part, with different drawings and music... But if he allows it, that's fine with me.

I'll shade the big dino, and I think I should add some nails to him as well.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 10:14:42

At 7/18/09 07:55 AM, mrty wrote:
At 7/18/09 07:44 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Shade that big guy in the back.

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think Archon will allow that. 2 people doing the same part, with different drawings and music... But if he allows it, that's fine with me.

I shall allow it. But MarsYam didn't send me his .fla, soo...

I'll shade the big dino, and I think I should add some nails to him as well.

YOU NEED TO IMPROVE THE ARTWORK, it looks really sloppy. You have as much time as you need, there is no reason to rush this.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 10:46:01

At 7/18/09 10:14 AM, Archon68 wrote: I shall allow it. But MarsYam didn't send me his .fla, soo...

Stop using that as an excuse, just PM him or something.

YOU NEED TO IMPROVE THE ARTWORK, it looks really sloppy. You have as much time as you need, there is no reason to rush this.

Which is exactly why I want MarsYam's part to be put in.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 12:08:30

At 7/18/09 10:14 AM, Archon68 wrote: YOU NEED TO IMPROVE THE ARTWORK, it looks really sloppy. You have as much time as you need, there is no reason to rush this.

I didn't rush it, believe it or not, I spent hours trying to do all that animating and shading!! You guys are really ungrateful. I'm REALLY disappointed right now.

I'm doing flash as a hobby, and if I'm to improve the artwork of this furthermore, I'm going to have to spend my life on this, which I don't want to because there is a wonderful life OUT THERE. If I'm a slow-learner, there is nothing I can do about it.

I originally wrote a lot of swearing here, but I deleted it, because I'm calm now.I know that no matter how hard I try, you will never be satisfied. I'm leaving this collab, and I think it's the best thing to do for all of us. I'm SICK of all this complaining and ungratefulness, NOT negative feedback.

You used to be more supportive and understanding, Archon68. I can't believe what you've become.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 13:18:35

At 7/18/09 12:08 PM, mrty wrote: You used to be more supportive and understanding, Archon68. I can't believe what you've become.

Hey, I understand how you feel. I just think if you worked a little harder on your part, it could be much better. Even if you are doing Flash just as a hobby, that's no reason not to push yourself to do the very best you can.

If you want to drop out, that's your decision. I just can't believe you're giving up so easily. I can't believe what you've become.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 13:19:51

At 7/18/09 01:16 PM, chubbthehippo wrote: Btw, how do you want us to name our symbols? Can we just put them in a folder?

"Chubbthehippo_dog", for example. Folders won't work, because if you have the same symbol name as someone else, it'll still be a problem.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 13:56:08

At 7/18/09 01:18 PM, Archon68 wrote:
At 7/18/09 12:08 PM, mrty wrote: You used to be more supportive and understanding, Archon68. I can't believe what you've become.
Hey, I understand how you feel. I just think if you worked a little harder on your part, it could be much better. Even if you are doing Flash just as a hobby, that's no reason not to push yourself to do the very best you can.

If you want to drop out, that's your decision. I just can't believe you're giving up so easily. I can't believe what you've become.

Me dropping out is the best for all of us. I was probably just going to decrease the score because of the sloppy graphics. That was me at my best, and I see that it wasn't enough. It seems that I'm doing just fine on my own.

Every morning I thought of what I would make next, maybe some more dinos or plants? I was so excited of being in a collab and actually doing some decent teamwork. Looks like I was wrong. I spent my days working on this, and today when I uploaded the beta, you just shrugged it off. All you did was to yell at me in caps, critisizing my art work. You didn't say anything about the music choice, the animation, the coloring, the plot, anything...

I gave you ideas about Windows Doors, did your beta testing, reviewed your flashes constructively, I added you as a favourite just because I was curious of Windows Doors and your other flashes, and most importantly, I always supported you. Like I said, I can't believe where that supporting and constructive Archon has gone.

Just take a look at some of my reviews to your flashes. Most of them surely didn't have good artwork, but was I even talking about artwork? It was because I wasn't paying much attention to the artwork, I was paying attention to the MOVIE ITSELF.

By the way, if I were you, I would take a look at my own artwork before critisizing another's. But hey, I'm speaking my knowledge from the flashes you submitted, so if I haven't seen any of your good work yet, you have my apologies.

I'm just upset about the way everybody's changing.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 14:41:49

At 7/18/09 01:56 PM, mrty wrote:

Ok seriously man, what the hell?

First, most if not all of us here are doing flash as just hobby, but tell me, how much work did you spend on this? 3 days at max? I spent over a week on mine, redoing it 3 times, and it was really a simply sun exploding. Your part was very complex, it had tons of stuff to be made, but you oversimplified it by doing it in 3 days. Archon wasn't trying to attack you, if you can't take a little bit of constructive criticism, then you need to man up a bit. You're acting like he told he your part was shit and that you're an idiot, that's not what he said at all. He simply told you to improve your artwork. Is it so hard to give a little bit more of your time to do something for us?

Is it really so hard, to give it a week more? Do some more shading, improve the artwork, look at other drawings of plants and dinosaurs, and try to imitate. Look at how MarsYam did his part, try copying the techniques, try learning from the techniques. You'll never improve if your excuse is always "it's just a hobby".

But hey, if you'd rather bail on your team mates because they expected more from you, then that's your own decision, and I must say it is a very bad one at that.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 14:59:50

At 7/18/09 01:18 PM, Archon68 wrote:

Me dropping out is the best for all of us. I was probably just going to decrease the score because of the sloppy graphics. That was me at my best, and I see that it wasn't enough. It seems that I'm doing just fine on my own.

Every morning I thought of what I would make next, maybe some more dinos or plants? I was so excited of being in a collab and actually doing some decent teamwork. Looks like I was wrong. I spent my days working on this, and today when I uploaded the beta, you just shrugged it off. All you did was to yell at me in caps, critisizing my art work. You didn't say anything about the music choice, the animation, the coloring, the plot, anything...

I gave you ideas about Windows Doors, did your beta testing, reviewed your flashes constructively, I added you as a favourite just because I was curious of Windows Doors and your other flashes, and most importantly, I always supported you. Like I said, I can't believe where that supporting and constructive Archon has gone.

Just take a look at some of my reviews to your flashes. Most of them surely didn't have good artwork, but was I even talking about artwork? It was because I wasn't paying much attention to the artwork, I was paying attention to the MOVIE ITSELF.

By the way, if I were you, I would take a look at my own artwork before critisizing another's. But hey, I'm speaking my knowledge from the flashes you submitted, so if I haven't seen any of your good work yet, you have my apologies.

I'm just upset about the way everybody's changing.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but you cannot take everything so personally! I never meant to upset you so much. I was simply giving constructive criticism about your work, just as I hope you'd do to me.

You didn't have to give me good scores to "support" me. To support someone isn't to tell them, "Oh you're perfect, I loved everything". To support them, you say, "Oh, I liked this, but this other thing could use some more work."

Maybe I could have explained exactly what I liked and didn't like, but I just don't have time to get too personal with everything. I've got a bunch of people in this collab, not to mention my own projects.

4urentertainment has been pushing me to finish my part, get everything organized, etc., and speaking in a not-so-pleasant manner (not to say he was being mean, or anything). Sure, I could have taken it all personally, kicked him out of the collab, and gotten all pissy like you did, but I didn't. I assume he meant no harm, just like I mean no harm with my critique. I just want this to be the best it can possibly be.

Apparently you took it too personally, and I can't change how you feel. I just hope you'll reconsider your dropping out, as I was looking forward to finally doing something with you. If you rejoin, I'll explain next time what I want you to change and what I like.

I didn't comment on your music choice or plot, because they're perfectly acceptable. I didn't comment on your animation because for the most part it was OK.

But honestly, it's been 8 days since you joined. Do you realize that some of us have been here from the very beginning and STILL don't have our parts done? I'm sorry, but you can't expect to make something amazing in 8 days.

- Archon68

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 17:46:36

Maybe you are right. Maybe I rushed things a bit. I really don't know why, but it seemed like a long time to me.

I liked how you stayed calm and tried to talk this out, a lot of guys just get pissy and start yelling, but you didn't, thanks. That wasn't what I was expecting.

As for the supporting, I never hold anything back, if something is badly made, I say it. When I'm saying your flashes are good, I always meant it, and I still mean it. Well, I might have gone a little easy on you on your "snowman sledding" flash (it wasn't as decent as I said to be honest), but I sometimes do it, rarely though.

Sorry but, do you really think "YOU NEED TO IMPROVE THE ARTWORK, it's so sloppy." is a constructive review? Especially when written in caps so it's like you're yelling? Maybe I'm taking it too personally like you said, but that's the way I am, I take almost everything personally. If a guy on Left 4 Dead types "you idiot", I immediately suspect that it might be directed towards me and ask him. There isn't much I can do about this.

I understand how busy you are, but you could have at least said something like "You need to improve the graphics, other than that it's fine." and it wouldn't even take a minute.

I can lose my rag sometimes, sorry about that. It's probably because I'm sensitive about people critisizing my artwork, it's something that is taking me years, but hey, that's how you master at something. Another reason why I got pissy might be because 4urentertainment joined you on critisizing my art work, I can't stand people gathering againist me, so I lost my rag. I mean no offense towards 4ur, by the way.

I AM considering to re-join, but I hope it will be worth it. I just fear the same things happening again. If you are really looking forward to make something with me, that's really nice of you, and so am I. Thanks for being so patient and not instantly giving my part to someone else. I'm looking forward to your explaination to what to do next. And thanks for being so nice about all this, again.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 17:58:17

At 7/18/09 02:41 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
Ok seriously man, what the hell?

First, most if not all of us here are doing flash as just hobby, but tell me, how much work did you spend on this? 3 days at max? I spent over a week on mine, redoing it 3 times, and it was really a simply sun exploding. Your part was very complex, it had tons of stuff to be made, but you oversimplified it by doing it in 3 days. Archon wasn't trying to attack you, if you can't take a little bit of constructive criticism, then you need to man up a bit. You're acting like he told he your part was shit and that you're an idiot, that's not what he said at all. He simply told you to improve your artwork. Is it so hard to give a little bit more of your time to do something for us?

Is it really so hard, to give it a week more? Do some more shading, improve the artwork, look at other drawings of plants and dinosaurs, and try to imitate. Look at how MarsYam did his part, try copying the techniques, try learning from the techniques. You'll never improve if your excuse is always "it's just a hobby".

But hey, if you'd rather bail on your team mates because they expected more from you, then that's your own decision, and I must say it is a very bad one at that.

I'm sorry, I just lost my rag when all he did was putting down my artwork (which is what I thought at first), but as you can see, he meant no offense. I apologize to all of you for my babyish behaviour, I was just disappointed because I expected better reviews, that's all. I thought I spent some hard work, well I did, but very little, it seems. Sorry again, I like this collab, I like this team, and I don't want to drop out. So, are we cool?

Here's a funny picture summing this all up.

The Universe Collab

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 18:08:08

Dammit, I can't believe what I was saying there. I hope we remember this as a funny moment, or maybe not remember it.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 18:08:19

Good one

http://www.bringvictory.com

If you want to earn a new level of awesome click this.

BBS Signature

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 18:14:08

At 7/18/09 06:08 PM, trudog wrote: Good one

What is that, the picture?

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-18 20:22:06

At 7/18/09 05:58 PM, mrty wrote: Here's a funny picture summing this all up.

Lol, just for that you're back in. :-)

But seriously, I'm glad this worked out well.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 04:09:01

At 7/18/09 08:22 PM, Archon68 wrote:
At 7/18/09 05:58 PM, mrty wrote: Here's a funny picture summing this all up.
Lol, just for that you're back in. :-)

But seriously, I'm glad this worked out well.

Me too. So when are you going to tell me what to improve on? Looking forward to it.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 05:26:14

The reason why I selected Animals&Dinos is because I thought it would we easy (I'm not really good at animating and artwork), but looks like there were much easier parts. Maybe I should have selected cells merging, a simple one, but there is no going back now, I'll do what I'm supposed to do.

I promise it will turn out cool, don't know when though. I don't want to rush things again.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 06:56:30

What do you guys think of the re-design of the sun and the grass?

I won't be a jerk again, so say whatever you want.

The Universe Collab

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 07:43:22

Much better, just lose the shadow filter on the mountains and shade those as well.

Shading makes things look ten times better, always shade.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 08:05:25

At 7/19/09 07:43 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Much better, just lose the shadow filter on the mountains and shade those as well.

Shading makes things look ten times better, always shade.

You mean shading mountains differently?

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 08:45:55

At 7/19/09 06:56 AM, mrty wrote: What do you guys think of the re-design of the sun and the grass?

The sun looks MUCH better, but the grass needs a little more shading. Make the edges just a little bit darker, and it'll look good.

For the frog, I think you should redesign him. He looks a bit "flattened". I also think it'd go a long way if you removed the black outlines on everything. Some variety to the grass (the dark green things) would be good, too.

I'll be posting a picture of my part soon as well.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 09:31:37

At 7/19/09 08:45 AM, Archon68 wrote: I'll be posting a picture of my part soon as well.

Here, tell me what you think. Does anything look "off" to you guys? I'll be adding some posters/graffiti later.

The Universe Collab

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 09:38:39

At 7/19/09 09:31 AM, Archon68 wrote:
At 7/19/09 08:45 AM, Archon68 wrote: I'll be posting a picture of my part soon as well.
Here, tell me what you think. Does anything look "off" to you guys? I'll be adding some posters/graffiti later.

I just realized:

1) There's no trash in the cans.
2) They look like they are floating.

So, I:

1) Added Trash
2) Added Shadows, now they look fine.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 09:51:46

At 7/19/09 09:38 AM, Archon68 wrote:

Looking good. I hope this part gets finished soon.

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 10:59:03

I would make the walls white if I were you, especially if they are street walls. I mean, it's not common for street walls to be red. If they are walls of a building, however, that's OK. Other than that, looks great. Are you doing modern day?

Response to The Universe Collab 2009-07-19 11:04:02

At 7/19/09 10:59 AM, mrty wrote:
I would make the walls white if I were you, especially if they are street walls. I mean, it's not common for street walls to be red. If they are walls of a building, however, that's OK. Other than that, looks great. Are you doing modern day?

Also, some cigarette butts, paper and that type of trash on the ground would make the street look more real, I wouldn't recommend making too much of them though.

I'll draw the frog again and do that grass shading thing you mentioned.