00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Faux news should be banned

2,552 Views | 54 Replies

Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 18:20:40

This is getting ridiculous, yesterday I was watching it and they were saying "10 reasons why you should NOT vote for barrack obama". And they precede to bring up you're common bullshitted excuses.
Today, it was even funnier, someone sent them a letter saying "I see you guys endorsed McCain, how can you guys call yourselves balanced and fair if you're saying (something, I forgot) about Biden but nothing about McCain? LOLOLOL Fox news is a joke LOLOL". Then the anchor guy started to get pissed, He was like "SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" and then was started ranting on how government doesn't answer questions and they are supposedly those answers.

It was funny but anchor shouldn't be yelling at its viewers despite what critism, and they shouldn't be screaming shut up, like Or Reilly does in almost every segment of his shows. Not only this but they are COMPLETELY biased, always criticizing Obama and never criticizing McCain. Now I know Republicans are ganna come bursting in saying "Well the general media is biased, lolol", Does the general media interrupt they're guests of a opposing party? Do they yell at them, trying to talk over them? Do they NEVER criticize obama? the answer is no. Most news channels actually give the news and don't give opinions, constantly giving opinion is just giving viewers a biased point of view of things that is proclaimed to be "Fair and balanced".

More than half of the Idiot republicans (not the republicans but the idiot ones) get their info from fox news, and fox news is the 9th most watched National news station. These Biased idiots make a difference on our political process, and it hurts it alot. Giving the news, and having a opinions of boths sides, uninterrupted by third part correspondents is what they should be doing but instead they give stories that only attack democrats, have anchors that argue, yell, and talk over their guests, and give completely false info on top of all of that.

At first i had no problem with fox news, sure it was stupid, but i just could change the channel. But once I noticed that it is actually viewed by many people and a good 70% of the people I know who are anti-obama, watch this crap, It's made me realize that something really needs to be done.

opinions?

What can we do?

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 18:24:29

I don't think they should ban it. It is a pitiful excuse for a news network, no denying that, but banning it would inhibit freedom of speech, and even though they are misguided uninformed dumbasses, they are Americans with freedom of speech.

A former rebellion is just a present conformity

http://cbp.newgrounds.com/

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 18:32:42

At 10/27/08 06:24 PM, CBP wrote: I don't think they should ban it. It is a pitiful excuse for a news network, no denying that, but banning it would inhibit freedom of speech, and even though they are misguided uninformed dumbasses, they are Americans with freedom of speech.

Also, republicans that I know have almost all said the same things about the networks that you and me watch and think "how intelligent they are."

Everything is biased. Everything. It's just that the things that are biased in favor of you sound great and the things that are biased in favor of those who oppose you sound ridiculous.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if that opinion is different than ours.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 18:36:01

At 10/27/08 06:24 PM, CBP wrote: I don't think they should ban it. It is a pitiful excuse for a news network, no denying that, but banning it would inhibit freedom of speech, and even though they are misguided uninformed dumbasses, they are Americans with freedom of speech.

My thoughts exactly. We all know Fox News is bullshit, even most Republicans admit it, but that doesn't mean it should be banned...

Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters. -Rosa Luxemburg

Ignorance is the root of all evil. -Molly Ivins

This is all I ask.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 18:48:38

I stopped watching Faux Noise when Bill O'Reilly called Jacob Sullum (who runs intellectual circles around O'Reilly) a "pinhead" on The O'Reilly Factor. I used to watch that ridiculous show for laughs, but realized that ratings don't depend on why the audience tunes in, only that it does.

I haven't watched even a second's worth of that network's programming since, and that was years ago.

That said, as a believer in free enterprise and freedom of speech, I strongly oppose the idea of banning speech (or basically anything else). If you don't like Faux, vote with your feet and with your dollar. Don't watch the shit, even for laughs. Or, if you do, watch it just long enough to see who their advertisers are, then organize a boycott.

That's fair, it's done all the time, and it doesn't involve Big Brother banning anything.

Faux Noise is bad. Big Brother is worse.

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 18:54:03

Well I know its freedom of speech but cmon now. It really affects the political process and misinforms MILLIONS. Thats not something that should be able to happen. They showed be punished for their false advertising, claiming they're fair and balanced, and they should be punished for promoting lies that are is known to be false by the people who put it out. I mean there Has to be a way to get for manipulating our system in false way.

If the democrats were doing the same things, I'd be just as pissed. I respect your average republican and what they stand for, I actually see them as equally right but these guys just bring extremism to a whole new level.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 19:03:03

If you ban Fox then it will create a damino affect where other news stations would be shut down for being biased. The only thing people can do is think for themselves. When I watch any new source I always take the info I get from them and cross it with info from another source, such as Fox and MSNBC. By doing this I see the holes in both stories and I can figure out the rest. Sadly not to many people do this because it is too much work (got to love the American way). Like I read in a fortune cookie once, " In the persuit of Truth, one must listen to both sides and believe neither." People need to stop acting like sheep and think for themselves. Luckly, I feel glad that atleast we still live a country in which we can still find the truth as long as we look hard for it. I just hope it stays like that....

I think, therefore I am dangerous...

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 19:17:48

At 10/27/08 06:54 PM, Phratt wrote: Well I know its freedom of speech but cmon now....

You really don't want the gum'mint sticking its big nose into this, trust me.

Weeduhpeepull should solve it. The problem is, weeduhpeepull have gone soft: "Waah! Help me, Big Brother!"

I don't remember who said it, but I agree with this: expecting government to solve your problems is like dodging a bee by running off a cliff.

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:06:00

At 10/27/08 06:32 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
Also, republicans that I know have almost all said the same things about the networks that you and me watch and think "how intelligent they are."

Everything is biased. Everything. It's just that the things that are biased in favor of you sound great and the things that are biased in favor of those who oppose you sound ridiculous.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if that opinion is different than ours.

The problem with saying that you can make the intelligence argument about anyone who disagrees with you is the way in which most people (or at least me) come to this conclusion. It's not what he says it's how he supports it. MSNBC has several biased shows on it, but at least they make their arguments without telling their guests to shut up. It is possible in theory to intelligently defend the Holocaust, even though it is impossible to morally defend it. If you can present your argument calmly and without making personal attacks and by presenting facts instead of opinions rather than by saying Obama is a terrorist and telling your everyone who disagrees with you to shut up is an infinitely unintelligent argument.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:14:26

At 10/27/08 09:06 PM, CBP wrote: The problem with saying that you can make the intelligence argument about anyone who disagrees with you is the way in which most people (or at least me) come to this conclusion. It's not what he says it's how he supports it. MSNBC has several biased shows on it, but at least they make their arguments without telling their guests to shut up. It is possible in theory to intelligently defend the Holocaust, even though it is impossible to morally defend it. If you can present your argument calmly and without making personal attacks and by presenting facts instead of opinions rather than by saying Obama is a terrorist and telling your everyone who disagrees with you to shut up is an infinitely unintelligent argument.

I love MSNBC, and you're right. Even though the bias is there. They actually TRY to be as fair as possible. Other than that, I love Countdown and The Rachael Maddow show. As well as Hardball. In fact, on Hardball, Michelle Bachmann fucked herself over forgetting that she wasn't on Fixed News and is more than likely going to lose her seat in Congress over it.

Still original, creative & innovative, most known unknown.

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:18:36

I know. Personally, Colberts my man, but I do watch K.O. whenever I see it on. MSNBC has some really republican people on it too though, you seen Pat Buchanan lately? I like him, I don't agree with him, but if they put out on loan or something to FOX he could teach them how to first form a coherent thought, then how to turn it into something watchable.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:27:21

Face it, Faux Noise is watchable. I caters to the Jerry Springer crowd, and to those who want to laugh at them.

If you watch it, you're part of the problem.

Without morons, the Republican Party would lose a third of its base.

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:27:20

At 10/27/08 09:06 PM, CBP wrote: ...saying Obama is a terrorist and telling your everyone who disagrees with you to shut up is an infinitely unintelligent argument.

Yeah, you're right. I agree with you 100% that Fox News is over the top and almost, in my opinion, pathetic.

I do not, however, think this merits the network being banned. If people want to act ignorant and close minded in an aggressive manor on television, then it's their prerogative to do so.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:40:12

Absolutely right. You can't make somebody stop speaking publicly based on this without violating the first amendment, which incidentally, is my favorite.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:45:46

At 10/27/08 09:40 PM, CBP wrote: Absolutely right. You can't make somebody stop speaking publicly based on this without violating the first amendment, which incidentally, is my favorite.

Those first ten are all really good.

I'd add two more: a "Hands off my body; hands off my property; hands off my spiritual beliefs" amendment, and a "Separation of Business and State" amendment, to match the separation from Church.

Other than that, I wouldn't mess with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:48:05

You do realize that that the first amendment is just 1 amendment right? And it's separation of Church and State, which by the way I completely agree with.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 21:52:45

At 10/27/08 09:48 PM, CBP wrote: You do realize that that the first amendment is just 1 amendment right?

Do you mean me? Of course I realize that. I was merely reaffirming the First and supporting the entire Bill of Rights.

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 23:27:06

Wow.

Can you say Fox Derangement Syndrome? Seriously, this thread is a fucking joke. Never in my life have I seen a thread with such unintelligent and immature people posting stupid, untrue things like this.

So, judging by the comments made here, all of you are Democrats and/or liberals who are being little, bitter bitches because Fox tries to be fair and balanced. They do stories that put both Obama and McCain in a negative light (unlike pathetic shit like CBS, NBC, or MSNBC, who only like to bash McCain and suck Obama's cock.)

Yes, while I admit Fox have a slight conservative stance on things, they are NOT the extremely biased crap that you all try to untruly and unfairly make them out to be. After seeing the comments made in this thread it's no wonder that conservatives and Republicans are much happier than liberals and Democrats. So please, put down the Kool Aid, take a deep breath, and go see a doctor about the syndrome that you all clearly seem to have.

My Profile Page --- Please leave an awesome comment or two

MY TWITTER ---- @mcox731

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-27 23:36:39

So let me get this straight...

We have 5 major media networks which millions of people watch, and you're telling me that we should ban the network with:

-The Highest ratings
-Ranked "most trustworthy"
-Ranked "most balanced"
-Has the most balanced number of conservatives, liberals, and independants watching
-Has the most balanced members of the station being liberals and conservatives

... just because YOU don't like them?

LOL

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 00:53:50

At 10/27/08 11:36 PM, Memorize wrote:
-The Highest ratings

And why do you think it has the highest ratings?

By whom?

-Ranked "most balanced"

By whom?

I know why they are ranked accordingly as you said above, it's a layering affect.

FOX News tells it's viewers it's balanced, therefore of course it's going to be voted "most balanced" and "most trustworthy." I could also say the same for all news stations, but we're discussing FOX in particular here.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 01:56:16

Fake News and friends.

What's that Bill-O, you agnary?

Keith Olbermann face punches his sorry ass 24/7.

Faux news should be banned

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 01:56:39

At 10/28/08 12:53 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote:

What do you want me to add?

Most viewers?

By whom?
-Ranked "most balanced"
By whom?

By Reuters.

The most trusted national TV news organizations, for accurate reporting, in
declining order included: Fox News (27.0%), CNN (14.6%), and NBC News
(10.90%). These were followed by ABC News (7.0%), local news (6.9%), CBS News
(6.8%) MSNBC (4.0%), PBS News (3.0%), CNBC (0.6%) and CBN (0.5%).

In 2003, CNN led Fox News on "trust most for accurate reporting" 23.8% to
14.6%.

I know why they are ranked accordingly as you said above, it's a layering affect.

Sure, whatever helps you sleep.

FOX News tells it's viewers it's balanced, therefore of course it's going to be voted "most balanced" and "most trustworthy." I could also say the same for all news stations, but we're discussing FOX in particular here.

I'm going by statistics...

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 02:01:55

At 10/28/08 01:56 AM, Memorize wrote:
By Reuters.

Thanks for the source.

Well, you gave me the source, so now you can disregard my comment.

I appreciate it.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 02:21:36

Most viewers?

By whom?
-Ranked "most balanced"
By whom?
By Reuters.

14.6%.

So because most people in America are stupid, I have to be stupid too?

I think not sir. If their news isn't new, or even existing/valid, It shouldn't be on T.V.

You can has a facepunch? Yes. Here. Have a few.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 02:36:59

"Just Fox News was seen as mostly and somewhat conservative (48.7%) over mostly
or somewhat liberal (22.3%)."

So, while more people (20%) find it to be the most trust worthy source, nearly 50% believe it is still a biased source. Additionally, as the question in which 22.3% of pollees said Fox news was trust worthy and reliable asked for the most trustworthy source out of all of them, it could be just as easily interpreted to mean that 88% felt there was some other source that was more reliable than fox news, and given that Fox was the only conservative outlet, conservatives had less news sources to pick from for a reliable station.

I can twist numbers too, and I think that within those numbers is an argument that Fox News isn't the most reliable. On top of that, we are looking at opinion based polling, and while polls represent the views of the public, they don't necessarily represent facts. I'd rather be quoted a scientific study done on the media than a poll of average americans.

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 09:45:12

At 10/28/08 04:05 AM, ThePretenders wrote: If I watch American 'news', I watch John Stewart. That show is more factual than (CNN, Fox, and NBC, the channels I have). The same applies to other 'news' sources from other countries.

If you like The Daily Show, check out Countdown With Keith Olbermann, and The Rachael Maddow show. Those two are just as good in terms of comedy, with a twinge of seriousness.

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 12:55:45

Most viewers?

By whom?
-Ranked "most balanced"
By whom?
By Reuters.

14.6%.

Sorry, but those aren't relevant statistics.

If you want to show that Fox News or any news outlet is fair/unfair, you should cite statistics such as the ratio of time spent covering pro-Republican stories vs. pro-Democratic stories, the number of Democratic commentators and interviewees vs. the number of Republican ones, et. al.

Saying that Fox News is unbiased because its viewers say it is doesn't make it reality, it just makes it wikiality.

So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we had the key...

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 13:30:08

At 10/28/08 02:21 AM, DeathAura wrote:
So because most people in America are stupid, I have to be stupid too?

I think not sir. If their news isn't new, or even existing/valid, It shouldn't be on T.V.

You can has a facepunch? Yes. Here. Have a few.

Or you could be like me and just say that all of these major media are "stupid' as you say.

However, that wasn't the reason why I posted the information.

The only reason why you're in denial isn't because you know FOX news to be stupid, it's because you don't like their conservative tilt (the only major media station to have it out of the 5).

That is THE only reason why you're telling me that.

At 10/28/08 12:55 PM, IllustriousPotentate wrote:
Sorry, but those aren't relevant statistics.

I'm sure if the statistics didn't have FOX up front, you'd say otherwise.

If you want to show that Fox News or any news outlet is fair/unfair, you should cite statistics such as the ratio of time spent covering pro-Republican stories vs. pro-Democratic stories, the number of Democratic commentators and interviewees vs. the number of Republican ones, et. al.

Sure thing

Fox News Channel's coverage was more balanced toward both parties than the broadcast networks were. On FOX, evaluations of all Democratic candidates combined were split almost evenly - 51% positive vs. 49% negative, as were all evaluations of GOP candidates - 49% positive vs. 51% negative, producing a perfectly balanced 50-50 split for all candidates of both parties.

I'll waiting for more denial to come!

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 13:35:00

The simplest solution here would be to create a statute that softens the requirements for bringing a slander/lible lawsuit, or make it illegal to offer economics advice unless you're a real economist or offer technical advice on an issue like nuclear power unless you actually have some sort of a technical degree (we already do this with doctors and engineers, so it's not it would be unprecedented).

Part of the problem today is that we haven't updated our state licensing systems to new issues. It would be illegal for me to say that I'm a civil engineer and tell you that your house is built unsafely and that you need me to fix it. However, it wouldn't be illegal for me to go on TV and say that Yucca Mountain is dangerous and that you need to buy some solar panels from me.

"The mountain is a quarry of rock, the trees are a forest of timber, the rivers are water in the dam, the wind is wind-in-the-sails"

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature

Response to Faux news should be banned 2008-10-28 14:10:42

At 10/28/08 01:30 PM, Memorize wrote: I'll waiting for more denial to come!

I don't think Fixed News should be banned. It's simply because it is fixed that people hate it. People on both sides can take bias, but there's a limit. Faux News has a habit of having bias some greasy you'd have to wipe off the screen. There's nothing fair about the coverage. Those statistics you posted, are fair game. Ask people you bump into often to watch Fixed News, then MSNBC. One to the left, and one to right. And you'd find out that Faux News is more biased. And is nothing more than a who can scream the loudest competition followed up the Interrupt/Disrupt/Insult tactic so others can't get their words in.

To further my proof of how bias Fixed News is. Remember that Ashly Todd story? Even before the facts came out about the report, the idiots from Drudge Report and Fixed News apparently posted the story up first. Causing a massive whirlwind of comments like...

by houstontx
Texas
[Oct 23, 2008 5:41:03 PM]
Let's see if the MSM picks this one up. NOT! If it would have been someone with a B.O. sticker that got mugged, this would have been all over the news by now.

by gwennie
Florida
[Oct 23, 2008 5:41:13 PM]
I pray she will be okay. Just goes to show how far these leftist liberals will go! Also, I personally take offense to Obama's comments regarding PA's Bible and gun holding conservatives. I am a proud Christian and Obama is clearly trying to be the Anti-Christ!

by norbert

[Oct 23, 2008 5:41:24 PM]
WHERE'S THE HATE CRIME ACCUSATION? WHY DOES AP NOT TELL US THE RACE OF THE MUGGER? WHY DOES THE "MAINSTREAM MEDIA" TRY TO COVER UP THE OVERWHELMING PERCENTAGE OF VIOLENT CRIMES COMMITTED BY BLACK CRIMINALS - SO SOCIETY CAN DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM, INSTEAD OF AVOIDING IT....... AFRAID TO BE CALLED, WHAT ELSE! - RACIST!!!!!

by bamagirl
Alabama
[Oct 23, 2008 5:52:36 PM]
Why hasn't this been reported on ABC, CBS, NBC or MSNBC? The only place that you find any information on this is Fox News & Drudge. You know that if this was an Obama volunteer it would be all over the place. It will only get worse if the Democrats should win & enforce the fairness doctrine.

by kkb11

[Oct 23, 2008 5:54:56 PM]
BO supporters believe they are above the law...just like their candidate.

That was before the facts came in. Then the idiotic Executive Vice President of Faux News wrote on his on blog...

Moment Of Truth (Posted from his blog on the 23rd of October)

It had to happen.

Less than two weeks before we vote for a new president, a white woman says a black man attacked her, then scarred her face, and says there was a political motive for it.

Ashley Todd, a 20-year-old white volunteer for John McCain's presidential campaign, says she was mugged at an ATM machine in Pittsburgh (my hometown) by a big black man. She further says he threw her down, then disfigured her by carving the letter "B" into her face with a sharp implement when he saw that she supported McCain, not Barack Obama.

Part of the appeal of, and the unspoken tension behind, Senator Obama's campaign is his transformational status as the first African-American to win a major party's presidential nomination.

That does not mean that he has erased the mutual distrust between black and white Americans, and this incident could become a watershed event in the 11 days before the election.

If Ms. Todd's allegations are proven accurate, some voters may revisit their support for Senator Obama, not because they are racists (with due respect to Rep. John Murtha), but because they suddenly feel they do not know enough about the Democratic nominee.

If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain's quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.

For Pittsburgh, a city that has done so much to shape American history over the centuries, another moment of truth is at hand.

^Ends right there

Two days later the truth came out. Let's look at the comments, shall we?

Hey Fox News! How come this story isn't on your front page anymore??? A little embarassed at the spin you put on this along with comments made by your staff...maybe? Fair and balance my a$$!

I love how Fox disallowed comments on the updated story. Guess no backlash wanted, huh?

"It had to happen," John Moody, a news executive at FOX, wrote on his blog Thursday night. "If Ms. Todd's allegations are proven accurate, some voters may revisit their support for Senator Obama, not because they are racists (with due respect to Rep. John Murtha), but because they suddenly feel they do not know enough about the Democratic nominee," Moody wrote. "If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain's quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting." So, it's turned out to be a hoax. Where's your story on how "McCain's quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting" Can't wait to see it in print. Oh, I forgot -- you're not allowing comments on the updated, CORRECT story, and you've taken it off your "headlines

When this story broke yesterday, anti-Obama posters were all over it and could hardly wait to express their contempt and hatred toward Barack Obama and those who support him, despite the fact that the photo showed a backwards "B" on her face that could only be viewed properly in a mirror. FOXNews almost gleefully ran the story all day long. Yesterday, I said in my post that I would wait for the facts to come out and that I was sure that the Obama campaign had nothing to do with it. Well, now we all know that she lied. I can't help but wonder if the situation was reversed and a Black female Obama supporter made the same accusation against a White alleged McCain supporter who had allegedly assaulted her, would the reaction by yesterday's posters have been the same? Would they have been so quick to believe her? I think clearly not!

These are the same people that visit that bullshit site daily for news. Now I've seen you around this forum, you do a good job defending Conservatives, but with a slant that big, and in a world filled with ignorant people of course Fixed News seems like a reliable source for news. I'll leave it like this. I've wasted enough bone marrow.

BBS Signature