00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

186,752 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey guys, I just actually updated my rig with a new power supply, an extra fan and a graphics card. It turned out I haven't had one in my main desktop so I added one to speed it up a lil in games and applications. The only thing is, other then running payday 2 more smoothly, I don't see a difference. Even games like TF2 tend to have frame drops (I'm beginning to think its just the game now). I'm wondering if I actually made a good deal or not. SFM runs more smoothly thankfully.

I went from an AMD 600 to a Geforce GTX 750, looking at it now I think I should of gotten a better one, but this was the highest one in the store.

One of my goals was to get my computer ready for running the more recent games on the market, as well as render content a lot quicker. Course I think this is the CPU's job.
I was hoping to get GTAV to run, but I have a problem, the game crashes right on the rock star logo, and I think this could be a result of my set up or maybe the game is glitched (a lot of people get this problem)

I kinda am hoping to get a reply within a week, because that is how long I have for taking my gear back to the store...

I am also unsure on how one would find out if a new piece of equipment is compatible with your set up.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-20 22:54:50

Finished a new build today, These are the specs.

Win 8.1 Pro (Soon to be Win10).
Intel Skylake 6600K.
EVGA Supernova 850P.
Nvidia GTX 980 TI.
Gigabyte G1 Z170. Mobo
Corsair C70 . Case
Corsair H100i GTX. Watercooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 DDR4 3000 (16Gb). Ram
AOC 24" 144 Hz. Monitor
Corsair K70 RGB Mech. Keyboard
Coolermaster Storm Havoc 8200 dpi Mouse
Samsung SSD's X4 1.5TB

Not all new, Brought over my ssd's, Glad to see it all booted up perfectly fine, I guess I got lucky on the plugs, Had a little trouble with the RAM sticks but moved them around and was fine.

Still a little messy with the wires but better than *cough* some.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-20 23:02:15

At 8/20/15 10:54 PM, Tykwa wrote: Finished a new build today, These are the specs.

Damn, that's pretty sweet man.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-20 23:13:53

At 8/20/15 11:02 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 8/20/15 10:54 PM, Tykwa wrote: Finished a new build today, These are the specs.
Damn, that's pretty sweet man.

My first watercooled rig, I hope I don't spring a leak, Nice that corsair already had paste on the block, was a fast build really, considering how long it's been since i've built one from the ground up, I hope the mobo doesn't shit on me, I'm a Asrock fan and there was a deal on the mobo+ram so I went that route, so far the "killer nic" is garbage about to switch over to the default Intel driver if it gives me anymore trouble.

Build pic because rep

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-20 23:17:39

At 8/20/15 11:13 PM, Tykwa wrote: Build pic because rep

Oh man, I hope that's an anti-static table.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-20 23:25:39

At 8/20/15 11:17 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 8/20/15 11:13 PM, Tykwa wrote: Build pic because rep
Oh man, I hope that's an anti-static table.

I'm a risk taker, Also bare-handed that beast, Never had trouble in my builds lol, no special bracelets here.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-20 23:27:38

At 8/20/15 11:25 PM, Tykwa wrote: I'm a risk taker, Also bare-handed that beast, Never had trouble in my builds lol, no special bracelets here.

Me either, but I do ground myself against the case.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-20 23:30:41

At 8/20/15 11:27 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 8/20/15 11:25 PM, Tykwa wrote: I'm a risk taker, Also bare-handed that beast, Never had trouble in my builds lol, no special bracelets here.

I always make sure to make love to all my components, I happen to be allergic to such wonderful contraptions such as those fabled magnetic screwdrivers.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-21 08:06:20

I never used a static bracelet either, though it could come in handy in the winter months.

At 8/20/15 10:54 PM, Tykwa wrote: Still a little messy with the wires but better than *cough* some.

Heh, so much for 'modular' power supplies. Who knew they bundled so many connectors? My fault for not getting a new case that could hide wires along the perimeter.

Very happy with my EVGA 850 G2 PS, wonder if there's any difference between yours and mine? Did you get a carry bag with yours? Suffered it's first brown out well last night, no problems.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-21 14:37:55

At 8/21/15 08:06 AM, VicariousE wrote:
I never used a static bracelet either, though it could come in handy in the winter months.
At 8/20/15 10:54 PM, Tykwa wrote: Still a little messy with the wires but better than *cough* some.
Heh, so much for 'modular' power supplies. Who knew they bundled so many connectors? My fault for not getting a new case that could hide wires along the perimeter.

Very happy with my EVGA 850 G2 PS, wonder if there's any difference between yours and mine? Did you get a carry bag with yours? Suffered it's first brown out well last night, no problems.

The only different is that it is platinum instead of gold rated, I think it did come with a bag but it is nothing like what the seasonic bags are from my last build. Just a plain bag. This is my first EVGA PSU, Superflower makes them so I'm not worried really.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-21 15:13:53

That looks sweet. You gonna do a wire-tuck?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-22 08:07:29

At 8/21/15 03:13 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
That looks sweet. You gonna do a wire-tuck?

Next week when i'm not working again i'll re-wire it, but for now it stays as-is, gonna have to find the zip-ties first

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-28 21:15:47

At 8/28/15 07:01 PM, Conal wrote:

Okay, I'm completely impressed. Fast CPU and atypically fast memory, 12 threads... what's your handle on GTAV online? I may have to kill you at least once, just to feel better about life, nothing personal ;) At least we share comparable motherboards, storage units and coolers. Hope the Corsair does it's job, and you got a sweet discount, it being refurbished and all. Sucks they don't have color filters for that damned white boat |: Sure is nice having a quiet as hell computer, minus the video card fan.

My Samsung 250GB SSD is a little older than yours, had to run a rather large patch program to prevent... cumulative fragmentation of some kind, hopefully that's the end of it.

The next thing I need to buy is another ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! and possibly some more SSD storage, for RAID 5 configuration; I opted for HDD as mass storage because they're so cheap, per terabyte. I've realized that I might need to sell this processor for something with 40 PCIe lanes, somewhere down the line; 28 lanes will be fine, for the foreseeable.

The only drawback, I see, to AMD CPU's like mine, are the motherboards. Intel guys are spoilt for choice >:( Ah well, no complaints on my end, except for 8GB mobo RAM and only 2GB on the video card, big whoop, can still crunch some heavy maths.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-29 17:46:42

At 8/29/15 03:36 PM, Conal wrote: The AX1200i is connected to my H100i via a Corsair link cable, which then plugs into my motherboard via USB. Aside from voltage efficiency and fan controls, you can change the colour of the lights on the Corsair logo. I set mine to slowly phase from Red, to Green, to Blue, to White, basically all colours. You can set it to change colour depending on temperature. I was going to do that, but it never gets hot, so I changed it to this light show.

Yeah hooking mine up was also an eye opener, but no probs. Whoa, you can change the colors, no shit? I just stuck the driver in and pretty much forgot about it. I was just happy it ramped up and down so smoothly, to keep things cool 'n quiet.

Sure is nice having a quiet as hell computer, minus the video card fan.
My 3 card fans only turn when it's hot enough, and it's very, very quiet. 3 fans spinning is better than 1 fan at 3 times the speed, more surface area always wins.

Yeah, that's my problem, only one fan on the 760, but it's not terribly noisy, but then again my 1st CPU was an Intel P200Mhz and fans on videocards didn't come till much later.

Any more questions?

Nope, happy fragging!

At 8/29/15 03:49 PM, NekoMika wrote: May post my build later and show pic. XD
mildly confused why an external CD Drive is needed for it to boot correctly

After you've got your OS installed, reboot the computer. Once you see the motherboard startup screen, press Delete (or whatever it says) to get to the BIOS screen. Go to Boot Up options, and have your main drive (where the OS is installed) as the first thing booted.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-08-29 20:24:42

At 8/29/15 05:50 PM, NekoMika wrote: Roommate already tried that, will state there is no bootable device or hangup on a black screen with a _ on it. Very odd indeed.

An idle (somewhat uninformed) thought: might be a security measure hardwired in. If you have the book that came with the motherboard, there may be something under the security menu, or a physical pin setting on the board that needs to be adjusted... but it's a longshot.

BBS Signature

@VicariousE told me about this group!
Well I guess I should post my machine here too lol
This is my 3rd custom build.

Monitors: (3) ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
PC Case: Corsair Graphite Series CC-9011059-WW White ATX
Motherboard: ASUS X99-PRO LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99
Processor: Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 2011-v3
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 4GB DDR5
RAM: 2666 Superclocked DDR4 Series (16GB)
Boot Drive: Crucial BX100 CT250BX100SSD1 2.5" 250GB Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB Hard Drive
Additional Storage: Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB Hard Drive
Power Supply: EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W PSU
Keyboard: Razer Anansi
Mouse: Razer Naga
CPU Cooling: EK-Supremacy EVO
GPU Cooling: EK-Thermosphere
Custom Watercooling Loop: EK DCP 2.2 X-RES Pump and Reservoir Combo, PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. x 5/8in. Tubing, & 360mm Radiator

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-09-18 18:57:48

Double posting because bbs doesn't allow multiple images lol

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-09-18 20:51:03

At 9/18/15 06:57 PM, Grub-Xer0 wrote: Double posting because bbs doesn't allow multiple images lol

No problem! I'd like to overclock my Sabertooth 990 FX (version 2, sadly), but am stumped as to which utility to use. The Asus boards of old had something called AI Boost, which worked rather well. There's a version 2 out there, but found it convoluted and dubious...

Also, congratulations on an excellent looking and bonkers fast build! I've been told WD hard drives aren't as reliable as they used to be (also limited warranty compared to Seagate), have you ever experienced a hard drive failure?

I haven't personally, but have a fix: put the drive in a ziplock bag, freeze it for the better part of a day, then mount the drive, boot the computer, and get everything you can off it, to another drive, before it heats up. Works on dodgy bearings, micro-fractures on the board circuitry and/or bad capacitors.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-10-06 15:46:37

I used to be a computer engineer, I've built several computers. I'm also interested in programming. I'll join this crew.

The color of your skin is your uniform in this ultimate battle for the survival of the West.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-10-07 15:13:34

At 10/5/15 08:19 PM, Conal wrote: Hey, guys. If I have 8 SATA connectors on the same controller, can I put 2 HDDs in RAID-0, while the other SATA connectors have 6 SSDs in a separate RAID-0 setup?

That's totally doable with your setup. I assume you know the risks of using RAID 0 though.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2015-10-11 13:01:26

At 10/10/15 07:26 PM, Conal wrote: Guys, I've got another probably-obvious-question to ask, before I do something.

Just don't touch the D: drive - in fact, disconnect it during the install to be safe. Once you reinstall, reconnect it and you should have access to it like before. Worst case, you'll have to adjust permissions on the files.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2016-04-21 02:00:17

At 10/11/15 01:47 PM, Conal wrote:
At 10/11/15 01:01 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 10/10/15 07:26 PM, Conal wrote: Guys, I've got another probably-obvious-question to ask, before I do something.
Just don't touch the D: drive - in fact, disconnect it during the install to be safe.
I might just disconnect it, yeah; it's irrelevant to the new OS if I'm just using it as removable secondary storage anyway.

Once you reinstall, reconnect it and you should have access to it like before. Worst case, you'll have to adjust permissions on the files.
I might connect the secondary storage to another desktop, just to double check it's set up to be interchangeable like that.

So, was it interchangeable? I thought the OS bonded to the mobo's UEFI, or vise versa.

Also, yeah bump... everyone seems to be migrating over to pocket-rocket smartphones, but real gamers use arm loads of tech; an anti-aircraft gun versus small arms fire, no contest in my book.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2016-05-26 02:02:43

At 5/12/16 07:48 AM, Conal wrote:
At 4/21/16 02:00 AM, VicariousE wrote:
What are you talking about?

Ok, example: A motherboard fries, so you decide to buy an exact replacement. You figure you'll take your WIN 7,8,10 bootable HD/SSD out and run it on the new board. Not so fast! The OS marries itself to the serial number of the motherboard... isn't that what UEFI does?

If you haven't had a problem with this, cool, I was just wondering. I used to build and fix computers from 2000-2006 for fun and profit, and there's a little of me that's always on the lookout for possible hangups.

Just got off the phone w/ a tier 2 computer guy... so yeah it's a thing to worry about w/ out of the box computers, especially HP's, guess it depends, not that many people would be in that situation.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2017-11-24 02:17:10

Hi, I hope there's still people following this thread that could help me

I'm an artist that knows nothing of computers and wants to build himself a new one, because the old one is already on it's last legs

I'm not looking for anything over the top. Something that I can use multiple monitors, play some basic games and maybe learn to animate and stuff

Again, I know nothing about electronics. So if you could, please answer in like a very basic way ;w;

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2017-11-24 09:51:19

At 11/24/17 02:17 AM, drake-rex wrote: Hi, I hope there's still people following this thread that could help me

Maybe one or two, and I'm not exactly l33t status, but I try and stay well read.
I will say this: building your own PC is right up there with working on a car, as far as manliness is concerned.
Sure you can buy a shitty pre-fab PC loaded with crap software, crap components, OR you can be a man and build something worthy of your time. Research, if you have the time, will make the process of selecting components easier; usually reading product reviews from one or two sales sites helps.

I'm an artist that knows nothing of computers and wants to build himself a new one, because the old one is already on it's last legs

What are you using now? It's possible a good program cleaning and some new components would be more cost effective.

I'm not looking for anything over the top. Something that I can use multiple monitors, play some basic games and maybe learn to animate and stuff

OK, so no AAA, frame dropping, hot video game action...

Again, I know nothing about electronics. So if you could, please answer in like a very basic way ;w;

Depends on your budget and if you'd like to upgrade components in the future, or just get a new PC.
Some programs run better on certain computers, check your art programs forums for an idea.
Personally, I'd recommend a cheap Ryzen CPU (should come with a fan, but if that's too noisy, they have cheap water coolers, provided your PC chassis/case can accommodate it), an Asus motherboard (mobo), I guess 8GB of RAM would be okay. There are a lot of decent mid-range cards that support more than one monitor.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2017-11-24 16:38:00

At 11/24/17 09:51 AM, VicariousE wrote:
At 11/24/17 02:17 AM, drake-rex wrote: Hi, I hope there's still people following this thread that could help me
Maybe one or two, and I'm not exactly l33t status, but I try and stay well read.
I will say this: building your own PC is right up there with working on a car, as far as manliness is concerned.
Sure you can buy a shitty pre-fab PC loaded with crap software, crap components, OR you can be a man and build something worthy of your time. Research, if you have the time, will make the process of selecting components easier; usually reading product reviews from one or two sales sites helps.

Hi there and thnaks. You were the one that lead me to this thread ^^

What are you using now? It's possible a good program cleaning and some new components would be more cost effective.

As of now, I'm using a lenovo g460

OK, so no AAA, frame dropping, hot video game action...

Well, if I can afford it I wouldn't mind, but it's not a priority

Depends on your budget and if you'd like to upgrade components in the future, or just get a new PC.
Some programs run better on certain computers, check your art programs forums for an idea.
Personally, I'd recommend a cheap Ryzen CPU (should come with a fan, but if that's too noisy, they have cheap water coolers, provided your PC chassis/case can accommodate it), an Asus motherboard (mobo), I guess 8GB of RAM would be okay. There are a lot of decent mid-range cards that support more than one monitor.

A friend of mine told me that the first and most important part is the motherboard and if that's the case, I have 3 options, because I live in a small town: A prime z270-a. A strix z270h. And a 5x protection ii

At 11/24/17 04:38 PM, drake-rex wrote:

So @drake-rex you're using a 6-7 y/o laptop, 8GB of RAM, either an i3 or i5 as a CPU, right? Can see why you'd like to upgrade, though if you have a lot of stuff running in the background (more than 60 processes in Windows Task Manager), try uninstalling some of those persistent programs that you don't use.

Those mobos you mentioned use an LGA 1150 Intel CPU. I'm not familiar w/ Intel CPU's, all that I know is they're expensive. I will say mobos that utilize Intel CPU's are some of the best out there. All 3 of the mobo's you mentioned look good, but check their reviews on newegg and amazon before making a choice.... had no idea USB 3.1 got put into production lol

OK so you've got a case to put this stuff in... hope it doesn't rattle. Next is RAM, no need to buy something fast if your mobo can't keep up with it. Building a PC is all about the numbers.

If you've got access to old or used PC stuffs, sometimes collecting and assembling's the best cheap n cheerful option. I know a few guys who practically make a living absconding old PC's and parts from town recycling yards... but it's good to test scavved stuff on an old PC, just in case it's faulty.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2017-11-24 21:39:36

At 11/24/17 02:17 AM, drake-rex wrote: Again, I know nothing about electronics. So if you could, please answer in like a very basic way ;w;

As someone who has built PCs and has been a sysadmin for nearly 20 years, I do NOT recommend most people build their own PC. That is, unless they really want to learn how to do it and deal with the incredible frustration that can come along with it of course.

It used to be that you could save a bunch of money building your own, but that hasn't been the case for the most part in years and I can pretty easily show that (esp. during the holidays). Plus every pre-built I've seen comes with support and a warranty.

If you want minimal hassle and frustration and want to get using something right away, let me know what your budget is, if you want a laptop or desktop, and what country you're in and I can give you a few options. If you really want to build your own I can help with that too.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2017-11-25 01:04:09

At 11/24/17 09:39 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 11/24/17 02:17 AM, drake-rex wrote: Again, I know nothing about electronics. So if you could, please answer in like a very basic way ;w;
As someone who has built PCs and has been a sysadmin for nearly 20 years, I do NOT recommend most people build their own PC. That is, unless they really want to learn how to do it and deal with the incredible frustration that can come along with it of course.

It used to be that you could save a bunch of money building your own, but that hasn't been the case for the most part in years and I can pretty easily show that (esp. during the holidays). Plus every pre-built I've seen comes with support and a warranty.

If you want minimal hassle and frustration and want to get using something right away, let me know what your budget is, if you want a laptop or desktop, and what country you're in and I can give you a few options. If you really want to build your own I can help with that too.

Well, I'm open to all options

I would like a desktop since I really don't need or use mobility all that much

I'm from chile and I have around 200,000 chilean pesos. few thousand more or less, or about 315 dollars

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2017-11-25 14:24:39

At 11/25/17 01:04 AM, drake-rex wrote: Well, I'm open to all options

Bren just gave you the cold, hard facts.. but don't let it scare you off from trying to build your own. That said, you shouldn't have to spend money you don't have to, if all you're looking for is a solid improvement over your old laptop. Building a PC from scratch can cost a lot more than buying a new one if you're not careful, you also have to figure in: monitor, operating system, additional electrical costs, hard drive, memory...

I would like a desktop since I really don't need or use mobility all that much

Wisdom.

I'm from chile and I have around 200,000 chilean pesos. few thousand more or less, or about 315 dollars

@brentheman might have some options for you, he's our go-to guy here at Newgrounds ;) Wishing you the very best!

BBS Signature