00:00
00:00

NG Evolution discussion

10,559 Views | 111 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 19:00:15


James gave me the OK to do this, so don't flip out.

This is a thread to discuss the ideas in the Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3 thread, or either of the other two threads.

For reference:
Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK3
Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution MK2
Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

This topic was made for several purposes. First, discussion of the ideas is not allowed in the Evolution thread. Second, so people don't have to scan through way more pages than necessary to see if the idea has been done before. And so a mod doesn't have to look through the thread and remove posts discussing ideas - if it had come to that.


You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü

"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 19:04:43


Just wanted to throw this in, too.

If you want to discuss something, copy-paste what you're quoting.
Just to make things easier.

That said, I'm surprised liljim didn't make this earlier.


Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 19:21:39


Hmm, not a bad idea. One post of mine was actually deleted there for "discussing" an idea. I'll try to contribute to this thread. =)

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 20:40:47


good idea. I approve of this thread.

I went through yesterday and deleted a lot of posts in Jame's thread for discussing and repeated suggestions.

If you had a post deleted it wasn't because you were a fucking moron it was simply that you weren't providing what James asked for.

although, that doesn't mean you aren't a fucking moron...


¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 20:44:17


At 10/2/08 07:21 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote: Hmm, not a bad idea. One post of mine was actually deleted there for "discussing" an idea. I'll try to contribute to this thread. =)

Heh, ya i had two deleted yesterday. The first one was deleted and i thought i was losing my mind so i posted something similar and that was deleted as well so i was really confused at this point, then i found out that Malachy had destroyed my awsome posts.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 20:48:05


All right, I guess I'll be the first to discuss one of the ideas brought up (omg yay)

At 10/1/08 04:26 PM, Freaki-boy92 wrote: more advanced search bar.

I remember someone saying this in a topic (which is probably buried under god knows how many topics), but I would really like to see advanced searching. I can't remember how many times that I've wanted to find a topic, when I know exactly who made it, and what it was about. Maybe something like "find a topic by genericusername named generictopictitle, or at least searches to exceed 20+ characters. Seriously, if a topic title can contain 35 characters, why can't the search bar? So, in short, I approve this idea.

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 20:54:28


At 10/2/08 08:44 PM, idiot-buster wrote: Heh, ya i had two deleted yesterday. The first one was deleted and i thought i was losing my mind so i posted something similar and that was deleted as well so i was really confused at this point, then i found out that Malachy had destroyed my awsome posts.

One would think that once the first 2 posts were deleted you would have caught on...maybe have read the first post of the thread at least and noticed James said that discussion and repeat suggestions would get deleted...but not you, idiot-buster..ooh no, you had to go and make a whole new thread asking about it.


¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 21:03:10


At 10/2/08 08:54 PM, Malachy wrote:
One would think that once the first 2 posts were deleted you would have caught on...maybe have read the first post of the thread at least and noticed James said that discussion and repeat suggestions would get deleted...but not you, idiot-buster..ooh no, you had to go and make a whole new thread asking about it.

I did not notice that in his first post otherwise that would not have hppened. I mean when my first post disappeared i had no idea what was happening i thought i might have screwd something up and decided to post again. With no expanation of why my posts were deleted so i made a topic. I would have liked some kind of expanation of why they were not there anymore.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 21:54:51


At 10/2/08 09:03 PM, idiot-buster wrote: I did not notice that in his first post otherwise that would not have hppened.

How could you not notice? his text is white (instead of the gray that we all have) and he had it bolded that your post may get deleted.

did you even read his original post?

(I'm being sarcastic, I can see how this may be taken poorly. <3 luff)


¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 22:04:43


At 10/2/08 09:54 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 10/2/08 09:03 PM, idiot-buster wrote: I did not notice that in his first post otherwise that would not have hppened.
How could you not notice? his text is white (instead of the gray that we all have) and he had it bolded that your post may get deleted.

did you even read his original post?

(I'm being sarcastic, I can see how this may be taken poorly. <3 luff)

It's okey. I respect you, and see why you did this. You have been locking meny topics here, i'm not sure i like that to much because it's been slow and all here this week.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-02 22:12:00


At 10/2/08 10:04 PM, idiot-buster wrote: It's okey. I respect you, and see why you did this. You have been locking meny topics here, i'm not sure i like that to much because it's been slow and all here this week.

Don't worry. I usually lock, give it a day or two and then delete the thread. There's no point in keeping it on page 1 for so long. and for most of them, they are questions which have gotten "thanks for helping" afterward, so obviously the topic starter got his question answered and moved on.

And for most of them there's no point in keeping them open for people to keep posting the same answer for the fourth time.


¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 05:40:40


I reckon people should be able to have their Windows Live Messenger (MSN) and Yahoo! Messenger address in their profile - not everyone here uses AIM.

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 11:45:31


At 10/3/08 07:48 AM, Aci6 wrote: What is AIM anyway?

I think it stands for American Instant Messenger - it's basically an instant messenger program but in some countries it is hardly used.

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 11:56:51


At 9/25/08 03:48 AM, BetaOrionis wrote: Raise the number of votes pre-judgement from 200 to 300.

Raise the passing score to 1.99.

This is I agree with, but why not put it right at 2.00 if your going to put it up to 1.99? A lot of spam flashes get a score anywhere from 1.60 to 2.20 when passing judgment, but if the score was raised people would be more willing to vote fairly for the submission because they would be so much harder to make it pass. This means a fair distribution of movies that pass and movies that get blammed. This would also make sense since the voting is 2-5 for a passing score.

Display whistle points. I mean, why not?

I disagree with this. I don't think they should show it at all. Then what's the point of the whistle at all? It makes it more fun and makes you feel like you actually worked for something when you don't know when reaching a certain whistle level is going to happen. Keep this the way it is.


BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 13:00:15


At 10/3/08 11:45 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/3/08 07:48 AM, Aci6 wrote: What is AIM anyway?
I think it stands for American Instant Messenger - it's basically an instant messenger program but in some countries it is hardly used.

erm...

it stands for AOL Instant Messenger

I agree with having other instant messenger options in the profile, as well as having the "show email" option back. Even though we have PMs, some folks may prefer Email


¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 17:56:34


At 10/2/08 10:12 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 10/2/08 10:04 PM, idiot-buster wrote: It's okey. I respect you, and see why you did this. You have been locking meny topics here, i'm not sure i like that to much because it's been slow and all here this week.
Don't worry. I usually lock, give it a day or two and then delete the thread. There's no point in keeping it on page 1 for so long. and for most of them, they are questions which have gotten "thanks for helping" afterward, so obviously the topic starter got his question answered and moved on.

I see, but i don't like when so meny of my post get deleted. I usually put alot of effort into my posts and hate to see them dissapear after i spend so much time working on them. I see what you are thinking, i like that you are helping out more around here. I just don't like my posts deleted thats all, i think 5 or 6 of mine are gone from yesterday alone.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 18:42:35


what does MK even mean?


hello

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 18:46:47


At 10/3/08 06:42 PM, wreckages wrote: what does MK even mean?

It stands for Mark. Like Mark 2, Mark 3, etc. I guess that V3 could've been used, but what James decides is what is is. Even redone or something of the sort would work.


You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü

"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-03 21:15:58


So, going back on topic here. I think there sould be a much better bbs topic search, It's just horrible. I'm looking for a topic i type the exact title in and i get that topic 4 or 5 pages in if im lucky, and it should be increased to 35 spaces because what if the thread name is larger than the limit.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-06 16:19:09


Speaking of the Search Bar,

The other main concern to me is that you need at least 4 characters in one of your search terms. I was looking for the daily news posts Tom made for those 20 days until the Comic-Con. I wanted those all in a row to see what day the thing I wanted to see was on. I searched "of 20" because he labeled them __ of 20. It wouldn't let me search this and every news post had a random title.


You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü

"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 14:08:43


I just posted this in the thread. Does it do the same thing for you guys when making a post or blog?

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something that I really find annoying. When you are making a large post or blog and you link something inside of text it scrolls all the way back up to the top of the post or blog. I don't know if it does this to anyone else, but when I make large lists of things like members lists or just posts that have 10 + links in it I find it very annoying when I have to scroll back down and find my spot again.


BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 14:25:43


At 10/3/08 01:00 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 10/3/08 11:45 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/3/08 07:48 AM, Aci6 wrote: What is AIM anyway?
I think it stands for American Instant Messenger
it stands for AOL Instant Messenger

No, it's American Instant Messenger, named so because AOL stands for America Online.

Also, TEST of Corky52's thing.

: Quote 1 - Shouldn't work

Quote 2 - Should work.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/42 9765 - Test of link override.

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 15:20:47


At 10/8/08 02:25 PM, Alfie wrote:
At 10/3/08 01:00 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 10/3/08 11:45 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/3/08 07:48 AM, Aci6 wrote: What is AIM anyway?
I think it stands for American Instant Messenger
it stands for AOL Instant Messenger
No, it's American Instant Messenger, named so because AOL stands for America Online.

No, it's AOL Instant Messenger.


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 16:00:29


At 10/8/08 02:08 PM, Corky52 wrote: I just posted this in the thread. Does it do the same thing for you guys when making a post or blog?

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something that I really find annoying. When you are making a large post or blog and you link something inside of text it scrolls all the way back up to the top of the post or blog. I don't know if it does this to anyone else, but when I make large lists of things like members lists or just posts that have 10 + links in it I find it very annoying when I have to scroll back down and find my spot again.

Wow, that can get really annoying. Especially while instead of adding the links to the end on the post/blog, you're adding them to the middle of a paragraph or something. Then it scrolls up and finding where you were writing can be a bit difficult.

I don't know how I didn't think about that before, anyway, it's a great idea :)

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 16:15:56


At 10/8/08 03:20 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 10/8/08 02:25 PM, Alfie wrote:
At 10/3/08 01:00 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 10/3/08 11:45 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 10/3/08 07:48 AM, Aci6 wrote: What is AIM anyway?
I think it stands for American Instant Messenger
it stands for AOL Instant Messenger
No, it's American Instant Messenger, named so because AOL stands for America Online.
No, it's AOL Instant Messenger.

Well that was an ordeal. I think the saint aura should be introduced after you get to a certain level or rank or something, just because it looks so badass. Maybe like - if you get to level 60 or if you get to deity or if you get to sup commander you can use it.

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 16:39:47


At 10/8/08 02:25 PM, Alfie wrote:
Also, TEST of Corky52's thing.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/42 9765
Quote 1 - Shouldn't work
Quote 2 - Should work.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/42 9765 - Test of link override.

It's always good to see that it's just not me making a mistake. Yeah, it's really not too bad of problem, but it's one of those small things that would be nice if they were fixed.

At 10/8/08 04:00 PM, Ismael92 wrote:
At 10/8/08 02:08 PM, Corky52 wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something that I really find annoying. When you are making a large post or blog and you link something inside of text it scrolls all the way back up to the top of the post or blog. I don't know if it does this to anyone else, but when I make large lists of things like members lists or just posts that have 10 + links in it I find it very annoying when I have to scroll back down and find my spot again.
Wow, that can get really annoying. Especially while instead of adding the links to the end on the post/blog, you're adding them to the middle of a paragraph or something. Then it scrolls up and finding where you were writing can be a bit difficult.

I don't know how I didn't think about that before, anyway, it's a great idea :)

Yeah, I once updated a list that had over 100 member to it on a blog's account and it took forever because every time I added a link over a word it took it back to the top of the page and since the screen to type in is so small it was very hard to go back through and find my spot. If this doesn't get fixed though you can always push Ctrl+F5 to find where you were before, but it's still more work then if it just stayed where it was at.


BBS Signature

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 16:49:18



you can always push Ctrl+F5

Ctrl+f5?

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 17:17:28


At 10/8/08 04:15 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Maybe like - if you get to level 60 or if you get to deity or if you get to sup commander you can use it.

isn't the level 60 image unchanged by aura anyway?


hello

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 17:19:51


At 10/8/08 05:17 PM, wreckages wrote:
At 10/8/08 04:15 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Maybe like - if you get to level 60 or if you get to deity or if you get to sup commander you can use it.
isn't the level 60 image unchanged by aura anyway?

You win this round...

Response to NG Evolution discussion 2008-10-08 17:32:26


At 10/8/08 04:49 PM, sirtom93 wrote:

you can always push Ctrl+F5
Ctrl+f5?

Yeah, I'm always so automatic to type that in here in the wi/ht. What I meant to say is Ctrl+F, get rid of the 5. That way you can keyword search the last link that you entered and it will take you right to it. >.<


BBS Signature