00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Coheed23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my!

38,170 Views | 295 Replies
Respond to this Topic

ReNaeNae has announced a Newgrounds Calendar Contest, where the winning art will appear on an official calendar in the NG Store and winners will receive a portion of the profits!

We just released several long-awaited features!

FEATURE 1: Descriptive Author Titles

If you check out Madness Regent, you will notice that authors can now have unique descriptions above their names, such as Programmer and Artist.

FEATURE 2: Specific, Author-Defined Genre Info

You will notice that Madness Regent now has visible genre info, specifically "Action - Run 'n Gun." Authors can now choose from a wide selection of categories when submitting and editing games and movies. Let us know (via this thread) if you have suggestions for changes or additions! This information will come into play at a later date.

FEATURE 3: Revenue Sharing with Co-Authors and Musicians

Authors can now specify revenue splits with co-authors and musicians! If your submission is generating money from Flash Ads or prizes, think about how you want to split that money with co-authors and songs from the Audio Portal.

Right now we're requiring a 1% cut to every author and song that is credited. We don't plan to force anything beyond this, but we're hoping developers will practice fair judgment with how they split their earnings. Think about what role each person and song plays in your submission and split accordingly. This is a new frontier so we'll be watching and discussing in the coming weeks and months.

UPDATE (October 1st, 2008): We removed the 1% requirement.

Everyone with Flash submissions should do the following:

1) Log in and access your account options page.
2) Under Flash Portal Options, visit your Flash Submissions page.
3) EDIT each submission with updates to the following: Author titles, revenue splits and genre.

Thanks in advance to everyone who updates their Flash! Our next step will be to implement a revenue box on your account options page, showing all money earned through NG, regardless of whether you have direct access to the API control panel (currently only the primary owner of a submission can view Flash Ad revenue). This system will include store sales for artists with merch and eventually we hope to have store referrals, where EVERYONE can make money by linking to the store!

OTHER NEWS:

April and I will be meeting up with fellow Behemoth founders Dan and John in Tokyo on Monday, October 6th, where we'll be attending the Tokyo Game Show and setting up a booth for Castle Crashers! If you're planning to be in Tokyo between October 6-18th, drop me a PM and maybe we'll have a chance to hang! You can also just stop by our booth between October 11-12th, when TGS is open to the public.

Adam Phillips says his NG Tank Trophy is the best trophy he has ever received for anything, and he has accumulated quite a few trophies over the years!

Everyone should say goodbye to JAZZA, who is leaving for two years of missionary work. In fact, he already left... But go post on his blog anyway.

SpikeVallentine's movie, "Leon and the Wolf" is screening in Philadelphia on October 5th!

Waterman's Almost Everything Show featured Castle Crashers and is giving away a Tank Man!

We'll be launching the Treasure Hunt contest later this week! Here is a little picture I scrapbooked about the new author titles:

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:13:12

YAY!!

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:13:32

wow! great update! this new feature is very helpful. kudos for you newgrounds.

Check out the flaming atom forums! A growing community of youtubers, with interesting discussions and a minecraft server. http://forum.flamingatom.com/index/

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:14:08

i just realized why there were profile pictures in the flash menus

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:15:55

that's pretty good thx 4 splitting the authors and see ya in Tokyo.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:16:00

I like the idea of author titles.

Nice job!

wut

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:16:01

Sweet my NG is evolving!

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:16:12

That's pretty cool Tom! I also noticed that you got rid of the ability to vote before actually watching the submissions, which will probably slow down the people that don't watch the flashes at least a little bit. Good thinking and it all looks pretty good. Now just to get use to it.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:16:22

Genre, Spam

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:17:15

This is amazing, I went back to go rank submissions, and noticed the additions. They're all nice. Good luck next week in Tokyo.

October 6th is my birthday :D

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:17:20

Wow, those are some pretty neat new features!

;D

Sig by me.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:17:51

The "new" look is great, very... Stylish...

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:18:57

Your screen looks different than mine! Is this just a problem with Safari? I get links under the names instead of those gray icons for Contact / Site / +Favorite

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:21:19

I like the 1% revenue sharing minimum for audio :D

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:21:29

finally.

you are probably not funny

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:21:49

At 9/30/08 06:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just released several long-awaited features!

I really don't like the new icons in the movie details, in a large co-authored movie with several different pieces from the audio portal, it pushes the voting bar further and further down.

:\

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:22:44

Ha, I was before you Tom.
Never could get that Madness day preloader to work. :C

im gay

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:22:56

I'm unable to vote on flashes, even when the entire flash is over. Anyone else experiencing this?

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:23:01

Also, awesome. This site has changed so much.....and yet I can't help but feel it's for the better. I love Newgrounds.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:23:25

I wonder what all the spam flash co-authors are going to be now.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:25:12

At 9/30/08 06:18 PM, STEM wrote: Your screen looks different than mine! Is this just a problem with Safari? I get links under the names instead of those gray icons for Contact / Site / +Favorite

Okay, problem has been solved. And I can vote again! Speedy recovery.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:26:13

I'm impressed by your update, Mr. Fulp and crew.

Keep it up :D.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:26:24

At 9/30/08 06:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: FEATURE 1: Descriptive Author Titles
FEATURE 2: Specific, Author-Defined Genre Info
FEATURE 3: Revenue Sharing with Co-Authors and Musicians

Great additions - I just had to change my picture to reflect how good I feel about these things. Now to get some money and start pissing around with Flash!

Adam Phillips says his NG Tank Trophy is the best trophy he has ever received for anything, and he has accumulated quite a few trophies over the years!

I'm glad he's impressed with it, they sound like they weigh in at quite an impressive weight, so they'll need some serious hardware to keep them on the wall!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:27:41

Sounds good.

It should be noted newgrounds was having many problems for allot of people earlier loading things and stuff like that, looks like it is fixed now. Unfortunately I am not in Tokyo so I can not be there, I guess I will see you in London though so it's all good.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:27:53

TOM. I NEED FRIENDS. WHEN WILL IT BE ACTIVE IN THE NEAR FUTURE?

Nice update. btw.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:28:19

I love you guys!

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:28:36

AWESOME UPDATE NEWGROUNDS TEAM

hello

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:28:36

Lookin' good.

Finally NegativeOne gets the credit he deserves!

~

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:29:23

At 9/30/08 06:16 PM, DrJam wrote: Genre, Spam

yeah, I got a good laugh the first time I saw that. If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em I always say.. :P

Anyways, I really like the new changes, good work.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-09-30 18:29:24

TOM READ THIS

MAKE A CHECKOFF FOR IF YOU ARE EVEN IMPLEMENTING NG ADS.

otherwise its really annoying to go through ALL music credits and ALL artist credits and type a 1 in for everything to save changes >=(

Makes it incredibly annoying for collabs >=(

Also as one last thing, add a selection for Artist/Programmer since many people on NG do both and prefer that over "Author"