00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

asieks084 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

johnnycancer's Art Thread

28,786 Views | 223 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 03:47:04

Figured I might as well post my finished entry for the Newgrounds Calendar contest. Hate to double post things, but, I'd like this to be part of my own thread.

Anyway, from a technical aspect, I'm not sure that this is the best work I've ever done - I can already see a bunch of perspective and proportion problems - but, it is one of the few things I've drawn where the image that I saw in my head was translated almost perfectly onto paper, and so, I consider this a success in that regard.

Technical notes for people who are into that stuff: this was hand draw and inked using a Hunt 102 crow quill - then scanned and colored in GIMP using a mouse (I would have preferred to use a tablet, unfortunately my pen broke just as the contest was announced, and I just received the replacement in the mail today). I don't even remember how many layers I had to create for this one; way too many.

So yeah, this was 2 weeks of my life, basically working on it for a few hours every day. I would have liked to have done more with it, but, there just wasn't enough time.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 03:49:14

Oh christ, that's not the final version!

Well, at least you can see the progression...

Also, happy 100th post to me!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 04:11:36

At 10/16/08 03:49 AM, johnnycancer wrote: Oh christ, that's not the final version!

Well, at least you can see the progression...

Also, happy 100th post to me!

You've got a bit of a problem with the light sources. In that there appears to be a bunch of them, but not all of them are hitting all the characters.

The street lamp doesn't appear to light up anything, while the candles are providing way more light than they should be. And the street lamp has a shadow, yet there's nothing that's giving off light in that direction (as evidenced by the fact that the front of the pavement is darkened).

And the blue rabbit has different parts of him lit up, some of them by light sources that I'm not sure should exist going by the light that's on the ground. He also has two shadows, one of them seeming to appear from a light source directly above him (which doesn't, or shouldn't, exist), but this ignores the fact that there are candles lighting up the ground all around him, so the shadow shouldn't exist. The shadow on the wall is probably in the wrong place as well, due to the fact that the candles would light that up (considering how much light they're giving off), and the lamp should probably ensure that the shadow is basically directly in front of him.

So uh yeah, work on your light sources I guess. It's just a thing that detracts from the completeness of the work, it's not ridiculously noticeable. I just started noticing more and more things that were out of place regarding the lighting once I realised that the street lamp wasn't really giving off any light.

Other than that, the composition's pretty good. I do like the way you included famous Newgrounds characters through the use of graffiti.

I do struggle to imagine a strip joint that would have a window directly showing the dancers, though.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 04:30:49

At 10/16/08 04:11 AM, Kuro wrote: I do struggle to imagine a strip joint that would have a window directly showing the dancers, though.

Yeah, I agree the light sources are not well done in this - thanks for taking the time to comment on it.

It's fairly common to have barely dressed women standing in windows in the Red Light District in Amsterdam, which is what that's modeled after, although the crowd in the background probably makes that less obvious. In retrospect, I'm not really sure why I included that detail; I think it was just because the room looked empty without it.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 05:16:25

Your really good at drawing.

Keep it up

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 05:51:01

I remember seeing those at the calendar contest. Lovely.

I love your shading texture and your perspective. Great work. Definitely stunning, keep it up.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 08:59:03

Yeah, nice job Johnny. Good luck in the contest man.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-16 10:50:57

Some really cool stuff you got there!
The naked lady is my favorite,

Only Apples Have The Right To be Red

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-17 02:34:49

You have some brilliant stuff man!
First two are my favourites. I hate colouring, but you're colouring is spot on.
keep it up!

My Art Thread! || Flash Reg Lounge! || CTSG Collab! :'( //

"And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun, for the people who are still alive..."

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-18 20:40:15

Detail from a work in progress - a little influenced by some of Klimt's stuff - the actual finished picture is going to be wider, and, will have a background, hopefully.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-18 20:42:16

Okay, attaching the actual sketch helps...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-19 00:36:49

Update on my current work in progress. Not the best scan quality, but you get the idea. So far, I like how this is turning out - not sure if I want to ink it or not once the penciling is done...I probably will, but, I do like the pencil by itself for the moment.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-19 06:19:18

Holy shit that looks sweet. I love the surrealist stuff you post. Keep updating, oh I need to send you that email as well.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-19 06:40:07

Pretty good stuff, almost most as good as me...nah not even close to as good as me.

I hope my sig dosen't come out distorted

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-22 15:32:44

Okay, in the interest of spamming responsibly, I'm going to post my work on the Metropolis Disaster Art Collab so far.

If you haven't heard of the Metropolis Disaster Art Collab you should go check it out here.

Anyway, this first one is, um...Jesus. I don't know, seemed like a good idea at the time. The basic premise is that it's the Last Judgment, and Jesus has come back down to earth to reign death and destruction on us, and most likely send us all to hell. As you can imagine, that doesn't work out so well for any Metropolisthat happens to be standing in his way. The hammer, and the scales, for those who are wondering, are there because Jesus has come back to sit in judgment on us.

It occurs to me that when a picture needs explanation for a prompt as simple as "draw a monster destroying a city" then it's probably not very good...anyway, this was done very quickly; it probably needs touching up, but I have no plans to do that.

Specific problems I see looking at it: anatomy is off; head seems to big, although, maybe it's just the hair; there are some perspective problems, but, I also drew this without the aid of a ruler or anything, so, I expected that would happen; and overall I think it just looks a little rushed.

Specific things I like: Jesus has olive colored skin (at least the best that I could simulate in GIMP) and the cuts on his body actually came out pretty well; I like the alpha and omega signs in the sky; and I think I found a good texture to use for the destroyed buildings (though it probably got overused in this picture).

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-22 15:35:25

Here's another work in progress for the Metropolis Disaster Art Collab. This one requires much less explanation: it's a giant Mexican wrestler punching a building. Still working on this one, so, it's subject to change without notice.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-22 15:48:51

At 10/19/08 12:36 AM, johnnycancer wrote: Update on my current work in progress. Not the best scan quality, but you get the idea. So far, I like how this is turning out - not sure if I want to ink it or not once the penciling is done...I probably will, but, I do like the pencil by itself for the moment.

Whoa! I really like this. Keep it up :)

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-26 02:31:09

I think this is my favorite entry that I've done for the Metropolis Disaster Art Collab so far. I don't really like the robot design itself (admittedly, I suck at any sort of mecha style art), because I don't think it's that original. I like the concept though, and, it came out pretty good for something I did over the course of a few hours.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-26 02:32:35

Another entry for the Metropolis Disaster Art Collab showcasing my favorite animal: the penguin!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-26 06:52:50

They're looking cool there Johnny. I wish I was that robot right now =P

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-26 11:02:05

Very fucking cool

I love the fairground one

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-26 12:10:10

wow great work man

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-26 22:48:24

Anyway, this first one is, um...Jesus. I don't know, seemed like a good idea at the time. The basic premise is that it's the Last Judgment, and Jesus has come back down to earth to reign death and destruction on us, and most likely send us all to hell.

That kinda depends whose side you're on :). You don't have to be against him you know. Originally I disagreed with the theology behind this picture, but thinking about it I realise that this is probably what it would seem like for those who are not numbered amoung his faithful. Nicely done.

Forum sig? Whats that.. 3D art thread, My art thread

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-30 03:11:38

This is NSFW so don't scroll down if you don't want to see a naked redhead.

Another work in progress...just coloring in a quick sketch I did like 5 months ago; it's certainly not the best thing I've ever done, but, as I'm adding color to it I think it stands up a little better.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-30 19:53:20

Nice but her legs look a little off. In particular her right thigh (left thigh when looking at her), and her general crotch area. But good job man.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-30 20:31:54

At 10/30/08 07:53 PM, Chymo wrote: Nice but her legs look a little off. In particular her right thigh (left thigh when looking at her), and her general crotch area. But good job man.

Yeah, I'm not going to defend the anatomical choices on that one. It's the left thigh that particularly concerns me...I'm not entirely sure why I didn't try to fix it before I inked it; I must have thought it looked okay at the time...

Anyway, here's the Metropolis Disaster Art Collab promotional wallpaper that I made. Apparently it got at least got one person interested in contributing, so, I guess I'll post it here too.

Download the full-sized version HERE

ReNaeNae had suggested that I make a sig out of it, but, I frankly suck at that, so that's probably not going to happen.

Anyway, anybody that hasn't contributed something yet really should; it's been a pretty fun little collab so far.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-30 21:11:26

man you got allot of neat things in here really cool Love the penguin :P keep up the good work

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-30 21:33:09

At 10/30/08 08:31 PM, johnnycancer wrote: ReNaeNae had suggested that I make a sig out of it, but, I frankly suck at that, so that's probably not going to happen.

Hope you don't mind! :P

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-30 22:49:36

At 10/30/08 09:33 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 10/30/08 08:31 PM, johnnycancer wrote: ReNaeNae had suggested that I make a sig out of it, but, I frankly suck at that, so that's probably not going to happen.

Wow...that's the nicest thing anybody has done for me for a while. I'm gonna change my sig to that right now in fact.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-31 00:25:41

At 10/30/08 10:49 PM, johnnycancer wrote:
At 10/30/08 09:33 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
Wow...that's the nicest thing anybody has done for me for a while. I'm gonna change my sig to that right now in fact.

Actually, no I'm not...odd technical difficulties. Anyway, It's a nice sig; and, it's nice to see you promoting the collab (and contributing too!), since you do have a bit of star power to draw on.

BBS Signature