00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

johnnycancer's Art Thread

28,752 Views | 223 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 19:37:50

Seeing all the other great art on the board made me want to share some of my stuff too. Anyway, here's one of my favorites - I believe this was the first drawing I ever colored in digitally using GIMP, and, I think, considering that, it turned out pretty good.

So, I guess any comments and criticisms are welcome - pretty much any response other than indifference would be nice I think.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 19:41:10

Another GIMP colored image - this is the first one that didn't rely on the "lighting" feature in GIMP, and pretty much all of the color effects were done using a series of transparent layers - another one that I'm particularly proud of, although, I'll admit that there are perspective and proportion issues, and the background could have been more detailed.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 19:42:56

Another hand drawn image colored with GIMP. I like the shading on this one, myself.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 19:45:30

This one's a good old fashioned pen and ink sketch, done with a Hunt 102 crow quill and black India ink.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 20:59:07

Your ink work is far superior, love it.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 21:49:42

How has noone commented in here yet. I love them all, great colouring, i like colourful pieces. I hope to see more of you around the art forum.
Excellent work man. POST MORE.
:D

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 21:56:40

At 9/26/08 08:59 PM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: Your ink work is far superior, love it.

Thanks! Here's another pen and ink, this one made with a ballpoint pen.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 21:58:00

Goddamn i love all these

keep em comin :D

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-26 21:58:34

At 9/26/08 09:49 PM, Shadow-1409 wrote: How has noone commented in here yet. I love them all, great colouring, i like colourful pieces. I hope to see more of you around the art forum.
Excellent work man. POST MORE.
D

Thanks! Here's a colorful one! This was hand drawn then scanned and colored in GIMP using a Bamboo Fun tablet, which, worked waaay better than a mouse, which is what I had used to color the previous drawings that I posted.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 05:18:02

This is some pretty good stuff.

Evil spelled backwards is Live and we all want to do that now don't we.

Deny the big lie, don't beLIEve and don't conform.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 05:22:04

This is crazily good. The shading and colouring is all great, and the second ink sketch is awesome..

GOTPENMUSTFLASH!

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 07:26:51

There's some nice stuff in here. I especially like the picture of the woman, it's not easy to get their proportions correct! I think you should invest in Photoshop, I think you would benefit from having the program.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 11:58:13

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE EE

Very nice

I dont have enough time to write a sig... Wait?

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 13:02:29

Here's another one colored with GIMP, back in the good old days when all I had was a mouse. I think the main figure turned out pretty good, although, not quite as hulking as I was trying to go for - and admittedly the shading in the background and foreground is a bit lazy.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 13:07:51

Here's a panel from a comic that never was. A slightly different style than what I currently do - a bit more of an anime influence, particularly with the eyes and facial features generally. As I look at this now, I'm actually quite impressed with how the girl's hair turned out - it's a bit plastic looking, but, for the overall style and the sort of cell shading technique that I use to color things, I think it's pretty appropriate.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 22:38:12

Here's a sketch that was just finished the other day - might or might ever get around to adding color to it - definitely will be later rather than sooner if I do, since my tablet pen just broke and I need to wait for a replacement. Not that I can't color with a mouse - I just don't want to do really large detailed pictures without the assistance of a tablet.

Anyway, not sure that there's any deep meaning to this, but, I do like penguins.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 22:51:46

You've got a good thing going here, I like it. :3

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-27 22:52:18

Very awesome. I love the detail in your pictures. It's what I'm too impatient to attempt to do myself.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-28 01:42:51

I love your work.
But you have to work on your character's positions in relation to perspective.
Like that one pic with them sitting on the chair. Make it convincing that they are actually sitting.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-28 06:04:06

Your work is really bloody awesome, I look forward to seeing more of it.

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-28 13:32:51

I've always wondered how people begin drawing abstract things.

I can't draw without having a point to start from. Weather it be a person or a ship, w/e.

Mind boggling.

Nice work by the way.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-28 15:23:50

This one is NSFW, because it's a naked lady...so, I guess if you're at work you should probably not scroll down any farther.

Anyway, this was just a quick sketch that I had lying around that I decided to color when I was first learning how to use GIMP for coloring purposes.

Things I do like about it: the skin color turned out well, I always seem to have trouble finding a good color for skin tones; and, I think the proportions are generally good; and, I like that I managed to find a subtle way to indicate some muscle tone without making her appear masculine.

Things I don't like: the head is too big - god help me, but I can never get the damn head to be the right size; the hair falling over her shoulders should have been done better; now that I look at it, the neck is probably too long too; and, I think the nipples might actually be to small...

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-28 15:26:41

Nice stuff man. Tits are hard to draw. Especially the nipple man. You pulled it off though.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-30 00:04:48

Okay, this one is NSFW too, but the naked woman is fairly tiny. So, if you're in a place where's female nudity might frowned upon, don't scroll down any further.
Okay, well, this is actually one of my favorite subjects, which, unfortunately I don't draw nearly enough: Alice in Wonderland. I don't know why, Alice and the caterpillar has always kind of captivated me, so, this is one possible take on that. I know everybody and their mother has done some sort of twisted take on Alice, but, in an already crowded marketplace I reserve the right to raise my hand and shout "Me too!"

Anyway, this is perhaps not the most interesting sketch on its own - it's black and white, and it has virtually no shading. But, that's normally how I draw things out if I'm planning to color them in GIMP later. Hopefully, when I've got some time, I'll throw some color on this one.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-09-30 15:58:31

Once more you have produced a nice piece of work. An interesting take on Lewis Caroll's fairy tale. I especially like how the moon is made up of several faces. Nice touch.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-05 00:27:17

Another black and white drawing - actually did start to color this one, but, that ended up being a disaster. Might give it another shot at some point.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-05 07:00:53

Nice. Looks like stuff I used to draw, like how you've got loads of women and stuff. Very detailed.

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-05 11:57:57

Cool stuff, your color stuff is pretty sharp. My only caveat would be to stay concious of the length of your characters arms. Some of them are kinda short. As general rule of thumb your elbows generally should fall parallel to your characters hip bone. Food for thought.

None

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-14 21:49:58

Hadn't updated this in a little while - the Calendar contest has had me and everyone else kind of preoccupied - but, I thought I'd go ahead and post in here real quick-like.

Anyway, this is another drawing that was edited in GIMP - no color in this one, just shades of gray - I hadn't really tried it too many times before, and I wanted to see how it might come out. As with everything, it has its problems - the perspective is a bit screwy, the background is waaay too blank, and I'm pretty sure that the lighting is not consistent with having walls on both sides. But, on the positive side, it was an image I had in my head, and I think I did a reasonably good job putting it on paper.

Also, I had intended to add the caption "The mask is a metaphor. The penguin is real though." But, obviously that ain't in there.

BBS Signature

Response to johnnycancer's Art Thread 2008-10-14 23:23:14

Badass stuff man!

BBS Signature