00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Sketchbook Thread!

4,400 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-10 07:04:11

No, I'm just posting an art thread to jump on the bandwagon.
There are TONNES of great artists out there on Newgrounds, and it would be awesome to get some criticism on my work, without posting lots of new topics.
I've posted a couple pieces of my art here and there, and got some really helpful replies, so hopefully this will work the same.

For each artwork, I'll post the year, and where it came from (i.e sketchbook, school diary, notepad etc).
I've gone through quite a few sketchbooks over the years, so I'll be posting new work, as well as some old stuff. Can't wait to see your thoughts guys :P

Here's the first one. I did this one late at night while listening to my ipod, where I get most of my ideas. There's heaps of stuff wrong with it, like the forehead being massive, his legs being different lengths, and the coat turning out NOTHING like I wanted it to. Oh well.

My current sketchbook (2008)
( Here's the massive detailed version: [DETAILED VERSION] )

My Sketchbook Thread!

My Art Thread! || Flash Reg Lounge! || CTSG Collab! :'( //

"And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun, for the people who are still alive..."

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-10 07:05:35

At 9/10/08 07:04 AM, xTOXICxEMPIRE wrote: No, I'm just posting an art thread to jump on the bandwagon.

Fuck, I meant NOT just posting an art thread to jump on the bandwagon.
Damn, not exactly a great way to start a thread.

"And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun, for the people who are still alive..."

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-10 09:42:11

Haha, the art is nice tough :P The scythe handle looks a bit too wide : /

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-10 11:33:05

his right (our left) hand is a bit crazy looking but i'm not sure if its intentional or not
other than that
good job!

Drink tea and fuck bitches.

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-10 11:37:34

Here's the first one. I did this one late at night while listening to my ipod, where I get most of my ideas. There's heaps of stuff wrong with it, like the forehead being massive, his legs being different lengths, and the coat turning out NOTHING like I wanted it to. Oh well.

You have a great level of detail! But nothing can ever be perfect can it? I find the stance, for example, a bit... odd. Try making that more natural, for a begining.

Sure, we all share one thing. We will all die sooner or later. Thank god.

My art thread, starting from pg 18

See all my crap in larger, smexier images! (DeviantArt)

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-10 11:54:47

I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a permanent stateroom aboard the bandwagon.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-11 04:52:51

Sweet some comments!
Cheers guys!

At 9/10/08 09:42 AM, Blasphemare wrote: Haha, the art is nice tough :P The scythe handle looks a bit too wide : /

Thanks man. Yeah, I know. With hand held weapons, I usually start with the part of the handle he's holding, and work my way from there. It would have looked thinner if it was longer, which was my original intention, but there wasn't enough room :(

At 9/10/08 11:04 AM, doberman7 wrote: Haha, dont worry, we all make mistakes sometimes.

Yeah, they just annoy me. I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi sometimes. For instance, you spelled don't wrong. LOL, sorry.

And I have to say, that drawing is fucking fantastic.

Heheh, CHEERS MAN! Means a lot.

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-12 04:17:17

At 9/10/08 11:33 AM, fishboy121 wrote: his right (our left) hand is a bit crazy looking but i'm not sure if its intentional or not
other than that
good job!

Yeah, they were meant to be different. I just drew random stuff on each arm. It was intentional.
Cheers man! I'm so happy I'm getting so many great responses!

At 9/10/08 11:37 AM, Fatchaos wrote: You have a great level of detail! But nothing can ever be perfect can it? I find the stance, for example, a bit... odd. Try making that more natural, for a begining.

I usually put heaps of detail into my drawings, but usually its too much.
Yeah, drew one leg, then the other, and didn't realize they were wonky until later :(
Thanks for the comment!

Cheers guys!
I'll post some of my other art later. Probably some stuff I did in Maths class.
Homework awaits :(

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-12 04:39:46

At 9/10/08 07:04 AM, xTOXICxEMPIRE wrote:
stuff

pretty good and detailed. good shading and all that. i wish he was doing something else other than being splayed out against a wall

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-12 20:58:28

That's great! I'm well impressed!

:3

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-13 21:10:33

It's a nice design, but it's very stiff. Try laying out a pose with circles and curves, then draw your character around it.

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-17 07:32:28

Ok, more art really soon. I promise!

At 9/12/08 04:39 AM, jossospro wrote: pretty good and detailed. good shading and all that. i wish he was doing something else other than being splayed out against a wall

Cheers :P
Yeah, sometimes I get the shading wrong, but I think I got it right here.
He's not splayed out against a wall, but yeah, I know what you mean. I just need to try more dynamic poses in my drawings.

At 9/12/08 08:58 PM, SirNightOwl wrote: That's great! I'm well impressed!

Thanks man, that does mean a lot!

At 9/13/08 09:10 PM, Kajenx wrote: It's a nice design, but it's very stiff. Try laying out a pose with circles and curves, then draw your character around it.

Yeah, cheers. I've tried dynamic poses before, but the look so... flat. I need to get better at that.

At 9/13/08 09:25 PM, RKThrilla wrote: Nice..

Here is a bit of constructive critism...

The arms are "out" I dont know whether or not that part of some sort of power or something along the line of that, but how often do you keep your arms wide out? Unless its going for some sort of hug :D.

Meh I like it and if Their was some sort of voting system out of 10 (10 being the best) I would give it an 8.

Cheers for the 8/10 man!
His arms are out wide, kinda... like, about to cast a spell or something.
To be honest, I have no idea. I just suck at awesome poses, and it looked better than him with his hands straight down.

Thanks again guys, for all the comments! People like you that make me love drawing even more!

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-17 08:04:55

Okay, Here's some more art for all of you!

Last term I did year 11 psychology. Such a bad idea. Really boring subject. Unless you like that kinda stuff, I advise you stay away from it.
Anyway, because I was bored all the time, I ended up drawing in my school diary and in psych textbook quite a bit.

We were looking through our textbooks, something about chemicals and the brain, and there was a picture of a face with a gas mask on.
Inspired me to draw, so I drew the gas mask, and added the random body later.
The gas mask ended up turning out crap, the body didn't go that badly, but as usual, I screwed up the feet. I hate feet.
Don't criticize too harshly, it was done in about 10 mins.
Also, thanks heaps again for all your comment guys :)

School Diary (2008)

My Sketchbook Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-19 04:25:05

At 9/17/08 12:39 PM, Kagoe wrote: I love it but the arms are way too short.

SRSLY? actually yeah, now that I look at it properly, they are a bit.
Cheers man.

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-19 06:49:33

are the arms too short?....

aren't they suppose to reach mid-thigh?

anyway, these look good..... I like the first one, but the pose....... ehhh.....

My Art thread / My DA account or just click my sig pic.

Beastiality is WAAYYYYY against park regulations, but YIFFY is ok

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-19 07:58:23

At 9/19/08 06:49 AM, ScorpianX0 wrote: are the arms too short?....

anyway, these look good..... I like the first one, but the pose....... ehhh.....

Thanks man.

I REALLY need to work on poses, but I can't seem to get them right.
They always looks flat, if you know what I mean.

I have some failed attempts, and some WIPs that I could post up later... maybe...

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-19 09:14:57

I really like that first drawing, its very detailed and pretty damn awesome. Nice job.

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-19 09:58:33

really nice =] keep posting..

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-09-19 15:24:23

At 9/19/08 07:58 AM, xTOXICxEMPIRE wrote: I REALLY need to work on poses, but I can't seem to get them right.

Do This everyday. You will improve.

Doors. You'll know when they're appropriate.

dA

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-15 00:38:37

WHOA! I've haven't checked this for ages, sorry guys. I've been so cuaght up in school work and other projects, that I didn't really think to add anything new or respond to your awesome comments!

KK, I'll post something really soon. In a minute.

At 9/19/08 09:14 AM, Lucy wrote: I really like that first drawing, its very detailed and pretty damn awesome. Nice job.

Thanks heaps ;D
Appreciate it.

At 9/19/08 09:58 AM, patu1 wrote: really nice =] keep posting..

Cheers man, I will!

At 9/19/08 01:17 PM, Kagoe wrote:
At 9/19/08 06:49 AM, ScorpianX0 wrote: are the arms too short?....

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The second ones arms are fine, I meant the first one.

Oh, yeah, they are a bit short I guess.
Maybe its just the gear or something on the arms that makes them look short, but I know what you mean.

At 9/19/08 03:24 PM, Maxxor wrote:
At 9/19/08 07:58 AM, xTOXICxEMPIRE wrote: I REALLY need to work on poses, but I can't seem to get them right.
Do This everyday. You will improve.

Cheers man! It really does!
But it is quite time consuming. Well, not really that... Just trying to find time for it.
But thanks, it does help :D

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-15 01:11:17

Aha! Here you go!

I just got my maths book out of my bag to do some homework, and this fell out :P
I remember doing it last term, when we were learning about quadratics or something (So boring!) >:\
I also remember trying to draw an autobot or decepticon, and failing miserably :( (It looks retarded)

Anyway, I have no idea what it's meant to be. Just random stuff I thought of when I was bored.
(Sorry if it's low image quality. I had to resize it >:( )
Hope you like it!

PS: OH YEAH!
I almost forgot.
I've started a new sketchbook ( I'm still using my current one as well though) to do concept art for my new RPG platformer.
Now, do you guys want to see this? And if you do, should I post it here, or make a thread just for that?

Maths Book (2008)

My Sketchbook Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-15 23:53:47

OH! another thing (Really sorry for the triple post)
I'm thinking about posting my major artwork (for year 11) conept drawings here as well.
Its kinda... abstract graffiti surrealism. Yeah, its a mouthful, but thats kinda the only way to describe it.

If you think I should post it here, I will.

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-16 02:08:36

I like the last one. I am personally a fan of abstract art.

I would love to see your other abstract art as well. The more surreal the better.

I FEEL IT!

I FEEL THE COSMOS!

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-19 06:32:28

At 11/16/08 02:08 AM, AlternativePumpkins wrote: I like the last one. I am personally a fan of abstract art.

I would love to see your other abstract art as well. The more surreal the better.

Like abstract art eh?
Well, I'm really glad you liked that one. Because, that's pretty much what all my math classes are about. Random doodlage.

Anyway, I don't have access to my scanner at the moment, so I can't upload the REALLY abstract picture I did in maths. So you'll just have to wait :P

In the meantime, I'll show you some pics from my year eleven major artwork backup!
These are pretty damn abstract and surreal, but remember, these are just concept sketches! Don't expect anything amazing!

My Major Artwork Sketchbook (2008)

My Sketchbook Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-19 06:40:05

At 11/15/08 01:11 AM, xTOXICxEMPIRE wrote

Maths Book (2008)

Mathematics put to it's best.

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-26 08:12:58

At 11/19/08 06:40 AM, Penboy wrote: At 11/15/08 01:11 AM, xTOXICxEMPIRE wrote
Maths Book (2008)
Mathematics put to it's best.

Hehe, cheers man.
Also, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
I've finished my last maths test, EVAAAR!!! FUCK YES!!!
I've finally finished year eleven, I'm so happy :`)
I'm not doing maths next year, so the exam was the last maths exam/test/work I'll ever have to do at school. w00t!

Anyway, in light of my "no maths foreverness", it's Major artwork time!
I spent all of last Saturday trying to get my Major artwork finished, but... it didn't happen.

And now I've finished it!
I finished it today. Everyone's said it looks way better with the permanent marker outline, but I'll let you be the judge ;)
I've taken progress shots along the way, so I'll show you them.

It's pretty abstracty, because I'm not a big fan of realism. Also, I's pretty damn big. It's about... 70 x 40, or something like that.

I've got about five or so progress shots, so enjoy!

This first one just when I started the base layer and background (which is why the hand looks a little weird... you'll see). Don't worry, it looks pretty bad right now, but it gets better. Also - bad camera. The colours are slightly different in real life.

Major Artwork, Acrylic on Canvas [Making of no.1] (2008)

My Sketchbook Thread!

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-26 08:32:46

That one is awesome!
I don't understand much, but it's great!

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-26 10:33:03

I can't wait to see how it turned out. It looks pretty cool with the colors you chose.

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-26 23:25:30

looking good, can't wait to see it tightened up and inked (I'm assuming that's the painting you inked the line work)

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to My Sketchbook Thread! 2008-11-28 23:08:10

At 11/26/08 08:32 AM, Asalraalaikum wrote: That one is awesome!
I don't understand much, but it's great!

Thanks man!
Yeah, doesn't really have a meaning, it just kinda evolved from lots of concept sketches!

At 11/26/08 10:33 AM, Jaex wrote: I can't wait to see how it turned out. It looks pretty cool with the colors you chose.

Cheers :D
Well, I got rid of the orange, but I introduce some reds and light blues near the end.
You'll see ;P

At 11/26/08 11:25 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: looking good, can't wait to see it tightened up and inked (I'm assuming that's the painting you inked the line work)

Thanks man!
Believe me, it looks SO much better with the permanent marker.
I didn't end up inking it, because it was on an easel, and I didn't want to risk it. Besides, I like using the marker, more control.

Anyway, here's another progress sketch.
I won't show you all of them, just the most significant ones :)

As you can see in this one, I got rid of the orange with a grey, because I didn't want the background to stand out too much. I've finished the skull on the ball, and also finished colouring the hand.
I hope you like it guys! I'm loving the comments!

Major Artwork, Acrylic on Canvas [Making of no.2] (2008)

My Sketchbook Thread!

BBS Signature