00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

~The Origami Club~

8,575 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

~The Origami Club~ 2008-08-31 17:40:24

~The Origami Club~

Origami is the art of Japanese paper-folding for anybody who doesn't already know.

A club like this was tried several years ago, but never got off the ground. This is a second, hopefully slightly better attempt at making it work.

AIMS
The aims of this club are as follows:

To provide a place on Newgrounds for those who already practice origami to share their knowledge -- the best part of origami is sharing what you've done with other people who appreciate the same art. Feel free to post pictures of your endeavors and the like, and help out people who are new to origami to hone their skills.

To help those interested in starting origami to practice it for themselves. -- You don't have to be accomplished in origami to join. Even if this thread is the first you've heard of it, you're welcome to join if it seems interesting to you.

To act as a center of discussion, showcase, and anything else about origami -- Obviously you can discuss anything origami related like stories etc., and showcase your own endeavors as previously mentioned. Conversation doesn't have to strictly relate back to origami ALL the time, but try not to stray too far from the central topic.

A BEGINNERS INTRODUCTION TO ORIGAMI
I won't bore you with the history or anything, but rather the basics you'll need to try this out for yourself so you can simply get going.

You need to start with a SQUARE piece of paper. I normally use 15cm x 15cm as standard, but both larger and smaller sizes work just as well.

Now I'll tell you how to make the "Preliminary fold", which is a basic origami starting point for several models. Refer to the picture at the bottom of this post for a visual companion to this step-by-step.***

1. Turn your square piece of paper so that it looks like a diamond and fold it from right to left.
2. Fold the resulting triangle from bottom to top.
3. With the resulting smaller triangle, take the flap nearest to you and fold it over in half again, then back to its original position.
4. Pinch the crease you made in step 3 and pull it towards you, so that you have the shape seen in step 5.
5. Turn the paper over and repeat steps 3 & 4 with the second flap.
6. This is your finished preliminary base. If you can get this far, stick around and see what else you can do!

WHO CAN JOIN?
Anyone with an interest in origami. There's not going to be a list of members or anything, so anybody is free to hang out here.

RULES
- No hateful or ignorant comments about origami or the people in this club. If you don't like it, don't post.
- Don't bash other people who showcase their origami endeavors here. Be nice, and tell them where they can improve if necessary.
- Do your best to inform anyone who is seeking advice or knowledge about origami.
- Don't be a douche for whatever reason.
- Follow the rest of the BBS rules.

*** Preliminary fold diagram (refer to beginner's introduction to origami).

~The Origami Club~

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-08-31 17:59:55

I sadly never find the time for it, BUT:

I know that origami means 'a folding of paper' in Japanese and consists out of the words as represented in romaji oru (meaning folding) and kami (meaning paper), but is more easily spoken out as origami.

I wonder; how popular and recognized is it in your region ? Secondly, I want to wish this club good luck, fortune and success from me~

I have no recorded origami works but below is a picture of a very impressive origami product; enjoy!

~The Origami Club~

onna site keikan/alt

«¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥»

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-08-31 19:00:46

huh, never bothered to learn origami... I'm not that good at even folding the paper in half, let alone making it into something very complex.

I might consider trying it one day though.

And I don't think a lot of people do origami. But I could be mistaken.

Founder of the Asian Users club

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-08-31 19:07:07

Awesome, i was hoping you would make this NEVR, i am gonna go look for some tutorials and start folding!! ;D

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 00:21:32

Good luck with the club! I'll make sure to keep up with it =D

At 8/31/08 05:40 PM, NEVR wrote:
*** Preliminary fold diagram (refer to beginner's introduction to origami).

Lol I just tried this.. Be it at work and not makeshift square paper, but I think I got in a bit of a muddle - read the instruments too I promise. I just ended up with something that resembles a 3-D M. Damnit, I'll try once again when I get home and if all goes well I'll upload a picture of it.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 05:41:43

cool I want to join, so what do I do with the prilimary thing now I've made it?

Hentai is about 95% copied and pasted here on newgrounds: vote 0

Review club

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 06:25:54

At 9/1/08 05:41 AM, A-s-h-t-o-n wrote: cool I want to join, so what do I do with the prilimary thing now I've made it?

lol, I tried to make a crane from it but it didn't work...

Hentai is about 95% copied and pasted here on newgrounds: vote 0

Review club

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 06:29:11

Jesus when the hell did you ever become review mod? Congratulations dude.

Also, must join, i like origami when i have time, so far i know how to make boats, and i made a few paper cranes which i have laying around.

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 08:15:36

I spoke to FUNKbrs over PM -- he's really into origami and has a shitload of originals that he's designed himself, so he's hopefully gonna drop by at some point and show us what he can do. :)

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 09:23:40

Hey I would love to join, I have never really done any oragami (of I did I would have either got bored rather quickly or been so frustrated I would have quite) well thanks for the invite so can I join?

Being Welsh + Sexy? I should get paid for this sh*t

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 10:07:25

Here's my newest peice. The intricacy of the folds got all washed out in the contrast of the photo, though.

It's not as good as that lobster, but that was probably an MIT guy using design software. Those guys are REALLY impressive, but they don't use square paper, so.... It's not technically origami.

Anyways.... THE HAWK.

It looks a lot better in person. I suck at photography.

~The Origami Club~

Me playing accordion and singing, even though I'm totally a drummer.

HATE.

Because how else do you explain 1.2 million years of perpetual war?

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 10:08:49

Wait... no.. there's more...

I made a family once. There's a kitten.

~The Origami Club~

HATE.

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 10:10:17

And really quick...

The tower of flowers... It's multiple interlocking peices, all squares, and each a bad ass flower in it's own right.

~The Origami Club~

HATE.

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 11:53:26

At 9/1/08 10:07 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:

Those are great, man. The hawk is excellent. The family one is a little hard to see, but I can just make it out. If the kid holding a guitar?

I saw the flower tower one before somewhere, but it's still really impressive.

For everybody who did the preliminary fold that I posted earlier:

Here's a picture I found of how to get from the preliminary fold (which is at step 6), to the finished crane. It's a little hard to follow in some places, so if you have any questions about any part of it, just post them here and I'll try to elaborate on what you need to do.

For now, here's a rough text accompaniment for the picture, starting at step 6, the preliminary fold:

6. Fold along dotted lines and then fold back to original position to attain the desired creases.
7. Take the bottom corner and pull the single flap of the base towards you and upwards, so it opens out as shown. Repeat with the reverse side.
8. Fold along dotted lines with the flap nearest to you, so that the edges meet in the middle.
9. Repeat with flaps on reverse side.
10. Open out the shape slightly.
11. Fold one of the long points at the bottom upwards between the front and reverse flaps, so that you get a "W" shape along the bottom.
12. Repeat with the other point and fold it over at the tip to make the head.
13. Pull the wings out.
14. Finished.

Here is a YouTube video if you get stuck. The preliminary fold is acquired in a different way, but the end result is the same.

Picture:

~The Origami Club~

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 12:03:38

At 9/1/08 11:53 AM, NEVR wrote:
At 9/1/08 10:07 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:

For everybody who did the preliminary fold that I posted earlier:

Here's a picture I found of how to get from the preliminary fold (which is at step 6), to the finished crane. It's a little hard to follow in some places, so if you have any questions about any part of it, just post them here and I'll try to elaborate on what you need to do.

That is pretty cool stuff man, I have always been interested in Origami just never bothered to try. I will try out the crane and post a picture of my efforts later today when I have more time.

Dancing Pineapple Guy!

128th EGSC. I popped NEVR's BBS ban cherry.

Also cocks.

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 12:19:18

Cranes are for babies.

I mean... wut?

HATE.

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 12:30:07

At 9/1/08 12:19 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Cranes are for babies.

I mean... wut?

LOL! WE AINT ALL AS GOOD AS YOU MAN ;_;

I made a ton of cranes when I was first starting out. Now I'm into making dragonflies, those little japanese style boats, etc etc. I really want something more challenging, though, and at some point I'd love to start designing my own originals.

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 15:33:49

Awesome idea for a club. I used to enjoy doing this but lost interest about a year ago, maybe this will help me get back into it.

I can still remember the first thing i learned to make, an origami water bomb, i've made one here just to show you, it's an easy thing to make but i have long since lost the instructions but i'll see if i can find them again.

~The Origami Club~

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 17:37:23

Heh, the old water bomb, eh? Nice stuff there. I've been trying to improvise with making a few originals of my own (inspired by the glory of FUNK's earlier showcasing), but I haven't really made anything noteworthy just yet. I'm not even trying to make anything specific, just playing around with a few different folds and such.

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 23:23:05

As promised here is my first attempt at origami with the help of the video Olly posted.

picture quality is crap, took it with my phone.

~The Origami Club~

Dancing Pineapple Guy!

128th EGSC. I popped NEVR's BBS ban cherry.

Also cocks.

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-01 23:50:08

At 9/1/08 11:23 PM, Joshiwa wrote: As promised here is my first attempt at origami with the help of the video Olly posted.

picture quality is crap, took it with my phone.

I can kinda see what you've done there with the folds, even though it's not quite right ;P

Still, for a first try (and without any really efficient guidance), you did pretty well, so keep at it man. ^_^

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-02 00:14:55

Interesting to know there is someone who knows how to fold Pokemon origami!

http://ori.axono.jp/

Also, there are videos that teaches you how to fold the following.

Squirtle
Eevee
Palkia
Dialga
Pikachu

The last origami video posted is something I thought it was interesting.

Sonic Wii Preloader!

Pro-Pokemon Club/TJPPC - Where I love Mew and members know it!

My art - I do art well, you twirps!

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-02 00:30:55

Paper airplanes can be a form of origami, for as long as it does not require anything other than paper. Check out this bat that I done! Not only is resembles like one, but you can throw it and will glide.

~The Origami Club~

Sonic Wii Preloader!

Pro-Pokemon Club/TJPPC - Where I love Mew and members know it!

My art - I do art well, you twirps!

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-02 02:50:30

At 9/1/08 03:33 PM, g-muff wrote: I can still remember the first thing i learned to make, an origami water bomb, i've made one here just to show you, it's an easy thing to make but i have long since lost the instructions but i'll see if i can find them again.

An oragami waterbomb...so, you fill up the paper with water, and throw it at someone?

MUST FIND INSTRUCTIONS!

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-02 03:08:35

So i got bored and found the instructions.

yeah, not the best, but still cool.

~The Origami Club~

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-02 12:58:52

At 9/2/08 12:30 AM, Dark-Volcano-Sam wrote: Paper airplanes can be a form of origami, for as long as it does not require anything other than paper. Check out this bat that I done! Not only is resembles like one, but you can throw it and will glide.

Nice! You can make a butterfly that looks similar to that, but it's actually slightly more difficult than it looks, as you have to do a sink fold, which is something that I had trouble with until recently.

At 9/2/08 03:08 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So i got bored and found the instructions.

yeah, not the best, but still cool.

Nice one :)

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-05 06:35:08

Although it's not exactly Origami, I've recently gotten interested into Paper-crafting after I witness Miso's insane detailed paper models from Team Fortress 2 (I <3 this game). Check it out if you're interested. highwaychile.net

I had fun building a dispenser (need a dispenser here!) and learn much from my mistakes. :-)

~The Origami Club~

NG Review Moderator // Report Today!

BBS Signature

Response to ~The Origami Club~ 2008-09-21 21:14:25

I was just about to make an origami club, when I USED THE SEARCH BAR and found this topic. I have been greatly interested in origami.

It started way back in elementary school when my art teacher showed us the wonders of origami. I strived and found one video on the internet showing how to make a crane. After long dedication I reached my first milestone. Now, there are millions of videos showing how to make cranes, but I've moved up.

I'll post some of my origami soon.

I know a lot of techniques (EXCEPT CRIMPING, I CAN NEVER GET THAT DOWN) and I would be happy to help anyone, I also know a lot of sites, so I could find a specific diagram if you're in need.