00:00
00:00

finding something in the obits.

770 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

finding something in the obits. 2008-07-13 23:44:03

I'm trying to find the obituary for a submission a friend of mine made probably over a year ago so I can find out what day he submitted it on, in order to make a lovely little tribute flash on its two-year anniversary. Is there any type of tool for searching through the obituaries, or do you have any suggestions to help me find it?

BBS Signature

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-13 23:50:54

No, im sorry the best you can do is search the date for the date it was submitted.

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-14 00:06:20

This happens to me all the time.

Odds are your never going to find it, unless you know some more specific information. I would advise you to give up now before you go on a quest that will ultimately end in failure.

--------------- "Disrespect women and acquire currency" ---------------

BBS Signature

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-14 14:27:46

The only thing I can suggest is using your browser's text find tool (Ctrl + F), but that will still take forever as you'll have to go through each page. It would be alright if you knew the month is was submitted in though, then you only have to go through about 30 pages, which, using the find tool, shouldn't take TOO long.

Also, I'm assuming you know the name of the flash, else this suggestion is pretty much worthless.

BBS Signature

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-14 16:19:36

There is a faster way. This works great if you know the name of the submission, or at least one exact word and the author's name (for confirmation), also approximate date.
In this situation, OP knew the name of the submission, the name of the author and approximate submission date which was ~July 2006 - July 2007.
There is a software called PageNest (previously known as WebStripper), it downloads pages to your PC for offline use. It has a possibility of generating a list of URLs and loading a list of URLs from a text file.
<missing text about the way of using these features>
..and after some time you have all the obituaries pages from July 1st, 2006 to July 31st, 2007 on your PC. Then you search for "A word or phrase in the file:".
<missing text about what to do if you get multiple search results>
..and there you found it, by the way it was happy fun time screamy.
If anyone is interested in <missing text>, PM me.

It is too hard for me to explain it all here in English so I might just send you a picture tutorial or smth. :)

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-14 17:39:11

Because the submission was blammed and googlebot does not visit flash portal every 5 minutes, I guess.

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-16 21:16:21

At 7/14/08 06:40 PM, ParadoxSaint wrote: You might be able to try advanced google searching under the domain "http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/obitua ries.php"

Maybe, but most search engines, google included, rely upon shit being linked to by other shit.

Flash movies that get protected are guaranteed a certain number of linkages. They get to be on the portal mainpage for a longer period of time. If they win a daily or weekly award, they could end up on it for weeks. If they get into the top 50, for months. They could be frontpaged. They could be in collections. They could be linked to in userpages and on the BBS. They are listed in the full recent listing and the full overall listing.

SOOOO MUCH LISTAGE.

But a blammed movie is on the portal mainpage but for a moment, and thereafter usually only linked to from the obit page of that ONE day it was deleted on.

;_;

Won't get on most search engines.

There is, however, a "deep web" search. Its entire purpose is to search the web "underneath" the yahoo/google/etc. indexed web.

I won't link to it here or mention its name. IT'S TOO HARDCORE FOR MOST OF YOU. I wouldn't want to blow your minds wide open with it and spread the madness.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-16 21:47:38

At 7/16/08 09:16 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
There is, however, a "deep web" search. Its entire purpose is to search the web "underneath" the yahoo/google/etc. indexed web.

I won't link to it here or mention its name. IT'S TOO HARDCORE FOR MOST OF YOU. I wouldn't want to blow your minds wide open with it and spread the madness.

Well now you kind of got me interested in this. Even if it is too HARDCORE for me to use. I think you should share in on the madness. >[:] )

Response to finding something in the obits. 2008-07-17 03:49:55

At 7/16/08 09:47 PM, Corky52 wrote:
At 7/16/08 09:16 PM, gfoxcook wrote: There is, however, a "deep web" search. Its entire purpose is to search the web "underneath" the yahoo/google/etc. indexed web.

Well now you kind of got me interested in this. Even if it is too HARDCORE for me to use. I think you should share in on the madness. >[:] )

http://www.google.com/search?client=oper a&rls=en&q=deep+web+search+page&sourceid =opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Lots of lovely things to look at in those search results, which is kinda what I was hinting any interested parties should do... i.e.... google the "Deep Web." #;-}>

http://pipl.com/help/deep-web/ <--- this is the one I first read about and tried out.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature