00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

I have a great idea for a game...

821 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 20:54:29

...but I need a few people to help me out. It's a basic card game. I'll worry about the graphics later. So here's the main gist of the game:

BASICS:

- Basic card game, similar to D-Evo or that castle building game, but much simpler. No fancy animations, but I might have the back of the cards have a fancy graphic.
- 100 different levels of enemies. Level 2 would use a majority of level 2 cards with a few level 1 ones, level 3 would use a majority of 2 and 3 with a few level ones, etc. etc.
- Every 10th level would be a boss that uses all 10 cards.
- 100 different levels of cards, but each one is worth a different amount of points. Obviously, level 1 cards wouldn't be worth over 5. Each level of cards would have a max point value that's mathematically equal (5 times the level).
- Each level is worth gold. The higher the level, the higher the gold.

STORE:

- Every level you beat earns you a specialty card that you can't buy.
- You can only buy cards based on the highest level you beat. You beat level 40, you can buy level 40 cards.
- You can replay levels for money, but every time you beat it the amount goes down by a quarter 'til eventually it's not worth anything.

HOW TO PLAY:

- You can organize your deck with a max of 9 cards.
- To play you simply which level of cards you want to use, then from the middle box, you would drag and drop which cards you want to use (you can use multiple levels), and then you would select which level and hit play.
- No money is lost if you lose, but this option can be turned on, same with difficulty.

CARDS:

- The game is based off of cuss words. I am absolutely obsessed with linguistics so I think this would be fun. Cuss words vary from local street slang to Shakespearean. Foreign cuss words such as eejit or blatherskite, outdated words like fanfaron, and user suggested words would be included too.
- Each word will be worth a certain amount of points and be classified into levels. Like I said before, I might make it less than 100 levels.
- If any words need to be adjusted, I will work them out no problem.

GAMEPLAY:

- There is some structure to this game. Levels go by very quick. When in play, the enemy will have anywhere from 1 to 9 cards laid out upside down so you can't see which combo he is going to play.
- You have to use your best judgment and best cards to try and beat 'em. You can't just throw 5 random cards down. It's pretty much simple MLA format. Some cards are adjectives (they will say on the card along with a definition and point value), nouns, and verbs. Conjunctions such as clusterfuck are already added and are pretty much nouns. Adverbs are verbs, end of story.
- If you start off with a noun, you can't add anything else. Adjectives are the best to start. You can't use two nouns or verbs together, but you can use as many adjectives as you want. Nouns are worth the most points, verbs second, and adjectives last.
- To win, you have to use a cuss word combo worth more points than the enemy.
- Each enemy's level will have a random cuss word string, but it will be mathematically worth the same, give or take a couple numbers. The higher the level, the higher the variation.
- For example, you could put down: Demented sheep fucker. Adjective, noun and verb. Very simple combo string. On higher levels you want to put down: Immuremented scatological viscera diddling flange pillaging fagorific pedophiliac barbara streisand.
- Then after you lay you cards down, you hit Go, the opponent flips over his (no fancy animation), the opponents cards are sounded out (I'll do the voice work unless someone has a better microphone), and yours are sounded out next. If you win, a applause sound plays; if not, a booing sound clip plays.

I need several people to help me. Once I can get the basic AS of the game figured out, I'll do all the work, I just need some pointers, tutorials, help guides, suggestions, etc. Can someone help me?

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 20:59:44

It sounds well thought out, but im confused on the core concept.

Is it just to put sentaces together with whatever words your given? And as each level passes your given more and more words?

BBS Signature

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 21:01:02

At 7/10/08 08:56 PM, zrb wrote:
I need several people to help me. Once I can get the basic AS of the game figured out, I'll do all the work, I just need some pointers, tutorials, help guides, suggestions, etc. Can someone help me?
I was really interested until I found it it was a card game :P
I will help you though, be sure to post in the Flash forum when you need help.

I really suck at video games and animation, so I'm trying to start somewhere. As soon as I can figure out how to do the basics of this game, I'll spend months on it and post it in the Flash forum for beta testing. Oh and I drew a really shitty basic layout of the menu.

I have a great idea for a game...

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 21:06:40

At 7/10/08 08:59 PM, CaiWengi wrote: It sounds well thought out, but im confused on the core concept.

Is it just to put sentaces together with whatever words your given? And as each level passes your given more and more words?

You start off with like 100 gold. Then you go the buy menu and buy Level 1 cards, each worth different points. After you beat level 1, you are awarded, idk ummm... lets say 50 gold. Now you can buy level 1 and 2 cards. If you beat level 1 again, it's drops a quarter of the original amount, rounded up, 38 or whatever. This repeats 'til it's worth nothing.

A very quick game to beat, but you learn in the process. But not too much, just a few more cuss words to impress your friends.

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 21:11:03

Im still confused with the actual gameplay, not the shop

You piece words together to form a sentace right? You might get a wider appeal if you use naruto sprites or hentai or something :P

Nah its a cool idea, if the 'battles' are fun itll be great.

If i was you id start of with 'battle' part. Just the player actions as well. Forming sentances with the pieces, and then checking if the make a sentance. If you need any help, pm me or post on here :]

BBS Signature

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 21:15:06

Normally I like to flame ppl who say (I gots an idea for a game!? zomg make it and give me credit!)

But this idea is a f*cking sweet on, I'm not sure if you're going to program this, but either way, thats really creative.

Good luck on the game.
(Yes this was worthless spam, but for all the noobs who may read this thinking to post their own idea for a game, plz plz plz, make it good. Like this one =D)

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 21:19:28

At 7/10/08 09:03 PM, zrb wrote: You will have to visit this, when you want to start learning ActionScript.

I've read it all and understand it all. I also have a AS for dummies book, which I've mastered. The thing I can't figure out is how to mix and match different AS codes. I just don't get how you are supposed to know which ones to mix and where to begin.

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 21:30:48

At 7/10/08 09:11 PM, CaiWengi wrote: Im still confused with the actual gameplay, not the shop

You piece words together to form a sentace right? You might get a wider appeal if you use naruto sprites or hentai or something :P

Nah its a cool idea, if the 'battles' are fun itll be great.

If i was you id start of with 'battle' part. Just the player actions as well. Forming sentances with the pieces, and then checking if the make a sentance. If you need any help, pm me or post on here :]

Well, I think I will make the back of the card graphics very broad, but that's the least of my worries. I just want to make a simple game with a large engine. The battles are going to be really quick. As soon as you're ready with you card selection and hit go, then it will yell the enemies cuss work combo, followed by yours. Then it will either boo or applaud. That's about it. I'll worry about fancy animations later.

At 7/10/08 09:15 PM, DawnOfDusk wrote: Normally I like to flame ppl who say (I gots an idea for a game!? zomg make it and give me credit!)

But this idea is a f*cking sweet on, I'm not sure if you're going to program this, but either way, thats really creative.

Good luck on the game.
(Yes this was worthless spam, but for all the noobs who may read this thinking to post their own idea for a game, plz plz plz, make it good. Like this one =D)

Thank you. I plan on doing most of the coding my self and soon as I learn the basics. I have no idea at this point how to make card games. As soon as someone shows me the basic AS needed, then I will start immediately and have a beta version running soon. So far I have almost 2000 cuss words written down. I guess what I'm look for is how to make a gold economy system, battle engine, menus for various objects, and a save/load feature.

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 22:12:43

Card games are pretty boring if you ask me. Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to I have a great idea for a game... 2008-07-10 22:25:07

Yea that's the problem, that's why I'm gonna make mine quick, thoughtless, learning, and hilarious. Just imagine a game screaming out: Aids-Infested Donkey Molesting Fucknugget! You'll be a cuss word master.