00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Hi! I’m here waving at you this week because we’re hoping to boost our Supporter count. When we removed most of the ads from NG in January, our goal was to hit 4,000 active Supporters in 2020. We’re making steady progress but are coming up about 300 people short! If you have $3 per month or $25 per year to spare, please consider becoming a Supporter today!

The Car Enthusiasts Club

93,783 Views | 739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-08 18:29:38

At 11/7/08 03:23 PM, Millar-56 wrote: its a two-seater convertable and the insurance cost £300 less than my metro

the thing is these things are classics so the insurance is very cheep compared to many newer cars.
It is a cheap car and your paying 300 pund insurance for it, why is insurance so expensive over there, is it compulsory?!?

Oh yes.

Insurance in the UK is a fucking rip off. My Rover metro GTi cost be £670 pounds per year (3rd party, fire and theft) for the same policy (on clasic insurance) an X1/9 would cost me £410 (lowest quoted on money supermarket) I should point out that these quotes are both without any no clames bonus built up.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-08 18:39:34

Sorry for the double post, but where do you live? I'd like to move to a place where car insurance isnt compulusery

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-09 12:55:56

darknessdweller is checking in on this cold November Sunday!

At 11/2/08 03:31 PM, Life-Stream wrote:
At 11/2/08 02:46 PM, SupraAddict wrote: We're gonna get along just finely.
You´re obviously a big Supra fan, what do you think of the new Supra concept?

Oooh, pretty. Luxurious-looking too! Actually, it looks both sporty and luxurious!
Just liek all new cars, 'tis shiny!

At 11/2/08 06:16 PM, BobbaQ wrote: Well, if you didn't see it a certain Mr.Hamilton became the youngest F1 champion ever today. Not only that, he's the first British champ since Damon Hill 12 years ago and is the first ever black champion as well.

Simply amazing!

The last few laps when it rained again were unbelivable, he only needed 5th to win it but very nearly threw it away.

Oh noes, he threw it away? And I'm guessing because it was the last few laps, they would NEVER stop the race because of a little rain, right?

He only just managed to get his place back in the last corner of the last lap.

O_O The last corner of the last lap eh? Sounds liek a few seconds to claim his place, and he did it!
Well, this is simply amazing! I wish I could've seen it!

Did I mention he won the championship by one point? You should've seen Massas' face :P

ONE FUCKING POINT?? :O Wow, ya don't find close finishes liek that everyday, now do ya?

Also, Top Gear is back with another series! I won't spoil it for you if you havn't watched it but it was typical Top Gear i.e. the three of them cocking about as usual.

Alright then! Must.. watch... Top... Gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The news with them discussing the financial crisis and how it was affecting cars was bloody funny and that Lambo was awesome ^^

Aww.. I missed some funniness? :( And true, the truck business is very slow due to this economy!
Because all people are looking for is MPG, and MPG, a truck does not provide.

At 11/2/08 06:22 PM, zomgkerrie wrote: hey darknessdweller...

sup?

i watch top gear on bbc....you have to get the step above the basic cable to get that channel though...i upgraded our cable solely for top gear lol...

Yes.. I get BBC! Is it on BBC America or BBC World? I think I have two BBC's!
And what time EST?

At 11/3/08 08:23 AM, zomgkerrie wrote: speaking of the 350z, what do you guys think of the 370z??

One word: Sucks. :|

i think they took a gorgeous car and ruined it. :<

AHHH MY EYES!!!

At 11/6/08 04:55 PM, Leap wrote: the thing is these things are classics so the insurance is very cheep compared to many newer cars.

Well, I hate the looks of it! But the insurance is convincing me... but only slightly.

At 11/8/08 06:29 PM, Leap wrote:
At 11/7/08 03:23 PM, Millar-56 wrote: its a two-seater convertable and the insurance cost £300 less than my metro

Sounds awesome! :D

the thing is these things are classics so the insurance is very cheep compared to many newer cars.

Well, I hate the looks of it! But the insurance is convincing me... but only slightly.

It is a cheap car and your paying 300 pund insurance for it, why is insurance so expensive over there, is it compulsory?!?

How many pounds is a dollar? Here, we use $. And because I'm young, I don't quite know the conversions yet. heheh.. :)

Oh yes.

XD

Insurance in the UK is a fucking rip off. My Rover metro GTi cost be £670 pounds per year (3rd party, fire and theft)"

I'm guessing that's alot then. How many pounds (srry keyboard doesn't have that symbol)
do you make per month and year?

for the same policy (on clasic insurance) an X1/9 would cost me £410 (lowest quoted on money supermarket)

Oh sounds cool! :D

I should point out that these quotes are both without any no claims bonus built up.

So.. that means it'll cost more if you get the bonus? How much more?

Ending post with: Anyone remember back in July when this thread was sooo active?
I see it may be getting it's activity back now, but still in July, we had SOOO much activity.

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-09 13:10:59

Insurance in the UK is a fucking rip off.

You think that's bad, try living in Ireland. As a male without a full license aged 18-25, depending on the engine size of my car I could be paying anywhere between 2000 and 6000 euro, not to mention getting fucked over with motor tax and VAT.

Then there's fuel costs, servicing and the like. That's half the reason I've not bothered to start driving yet.

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-09 21:33:20

At 11/9/08 01:10 PM, RohantheBarbarian wrote:
Insurance in the UK is a fucking rip off.
You think that's bad, try living in Ireland. As a male without a full license aged 18-25, depending on the engine size of my car I could be paying anywhere between 2000 and 6000 euro, not to mention getting fucked over with motor tax and VAT.

Then there's fuel costs, servicing and the like. That's half the reason I've not bothered to start driving yet.

My grand am had a 3.3 v6 and basic insurance cost $600 for 6 month coverage but thats with it being a 92, airbags, and the anti-lock breaks (in the US you get discounts for safety equipment)

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-09 23:57:35

I'm not insured on my car right now, because going to university in London means that I don't really need a car, so it's pointless paying insurance for something I'm not using. I really do miss driving though. :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-10 14:50:07

At 11/9/08 12:55 PM, darknessdweller wrote:
How many pounds is a dollar? Here, we use $. And because I'm young, I don't quite know the conversions yet. heheh.. :)

We usually use £1 = $2 as a rule of thumb. And yes, it was a cheep car i was insuring, it only cost me £100 ($200) to buy, yearly insurance was costing me arround £650 ($1300).

A no-claims bonus is where you get a discount year on year if you dfon't make any calimes on your insurance (capped after a few years) if for example i am quotes £400 with no no-claimes, I might get quoted £300 for 1 year's no clames, £200 for 2 years etc, it is capped however, and it depends on the insurer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-11 20:57:12

At 11/8/08 06:39 PM, Leap wrote: Sorry for the double post, but where do you live? I'd like to move to a place where car insurance isnt compulusery

I live in New Zealand, i paid nz 1k for a car which is like 333 pounds, and i was only paying 4 dollers a week about 1.5 pounds a week haha thats third party fire and theft, real cheap i guess. Than god too that car got written the fuck off.

Signiture made by insertfunnyusername!

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-11 20:59:01

oh and for pound to nz dollers it about 1 pound equals 3 dollers, so yea.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-11 21:25:42

At 11/9/08 11:57 PM, NEVR wrote: I'm not insured on my car right now, because going to university in London means that I don't really need a car, so it's pointless paying insurance for something I'm not using. I really do miss driving though. :(

Right about that. I'm in my Tech School for Automotive Training and I'm doing basic shit now. Taking out an Alternator (AC Generator). xD

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-13 18:02:05

So seamonkey, how far into your course are you?

You must of just started right because taking out the alternator is really basic, people ho know next to nothing on cars, can do that, right?

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-13 19:10:26

At 11/11/08 08:59 PM, Millar-56 wrote: oh and for pound to nz dollers it about 1 pound equals 3 dollers, so yea.

Shut up, It's not our fault our economy sucks! oh wait...

French tanks have six gears, 5 reverse, and one forward in case they are ever attacked from behind

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-13 21:47:12

At 11/13/08 06:02 PM, Millar-56 wrote: So seamonkey, how far into your course are you?

You must of just started right because taking out the alternator is really basic, people ho know next to nothing on cars, can do that, right?

Hahaha, not many people I know can R&R an Alternator, nor fix one. And I'm in my fourth class. I already did:
#1: Introduction to Automotive.
#2: Brakes
#3: Air Conditioning and electrical accessories.
#4: Basic Electrical

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-14 18:13:57

ok, Fair enough, guess you guys just take cars to mechanics when they need fixed!

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-15 23:34:33

At 11/13/08 09:47 PM, Seamonky wrote:
At 11/13/08 06:02 PM, Millar-56 wrote: So seamonkey, how far into your course are you?

Hahaha, not many people I know can R&R an Alternator, nor fix one. And I'm in my fourth class. I already did:
#1: Introduction to Automotive.
#2: Brakes
#3: Air Conditioning and electrical accessories.
#4: Basic Electrical

That's pretty good. I'm still learning the hybrid engine and how it works/what makes it work. I get its part electrical and part gas, but I need to know more about how one can set it at different speeds.

I know, I'm still a n00b at it. :/

French tanks have six gears, 5 reverse, and one forward in case they are ever attacked from behind

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-15 23:40:56

At 11/14/08 06:13 PM, Millar-56 wrote: ok, Fair enough, guess you guys just take cars to mechanics when they need fixed!

Well I'm not about to take it to my local greengrocer am I?

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-16 17:04:53

Did any of you guys catch the new Top Gear tonight? I liked their attempts to make the Renault Avantime faster than an Evo (not likely). Couldn't stop laughing when Clarkson's plywood splitter caught fire. That and the V6 blender, although I'm pretty sure drinking something made with raw beef (bones included of course) and bricks has to be a health risk.

And big news, the Dacia Sandero now has an offroad version!

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-16 20:42:05

At 11/16/08 05:04 PM, RohantheBarbarian wrote: Did any of you guys catch the new Top Gear tonight? I liked their attempts to make the Renault Avantime faster than an Evo (not likely). Couldn't stop laughing when Clarkson's plywood splitter caught fire. That and the V6 blender, although I'm pretty sure drinking something made with raw beef (bones included of course) and bricks has to be a health risk.

And big news, the Dacia Sandero now has an offroad version!

I haven't been seeing any of the new episodes of Top Gear lately...
I wanted to, but whenever it's on BBC America, I miss it. I did manage to see the one where he gets shot at by snipers though.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 14:18:54

Hi guys. Srry about missing a week. I had projects n' shit to do! How's everyone doin'?

At 11/9/08 11:57 PM, NEVR wrote: I'm not insured on my car right now,

Uh-oh... naughty, naughty...

because going to university in London means that I don't really need a car,

Ah, that explains it. ;) Do you like going to a university, or would you rather be back in high school or elementary school?

so it's pointless paying insurance for something I'm not using. I really do miss driving though. :(

YA RLY.
And I don't even drive yet. But, I'd be all over the road, as that's what I do in video games!
VROOM VROOM Errrrrrt.... "DRIVER GET OUT OF THE CAR AND SHOW ME YOUR HANDS"

At 11/10/08 02:50 PM, Leap wrote:
At 11/9/08 12:55 PM, darknessdweller wrote:
We usually use £1 = $2 as a rule of thumb. And yes, it was a cheep car i was insuring, it only cost me £100 ($200) to buy, yearly insurance was costing me arround £650 ($1300).

Ah cool. :) So it takes $2 to match £1. so I'm pretty sure $ < £ amirite?
And: How could the car cost less to buy than it is to insure? Did you lease it? (i'm too lazy to look back) and to a kid, $1300 is super-expensive! But, to an adult who makes a fair amount of money or better, it definitely would be cheap. O_O I didn't pay attention to it 'till now but: you said yearly.
So... it's a bit less expensive than I thought.

At 11/13/08 07:10 PM, SupraAddict wrote:
At 11/11/08 08:59 PM, Millar-56 wrote: oh and for pound to nz dollers it about 1 pound equals 3 dollers, so yea.
Shut up, It's not our fault our economy sucks! oh wait...

>:( (?) But wait a sec, u live in America, (VT = Northeastern USA), NOT NZ!
So, unless you've been watching something like CNBC World, or Bloomberg , you probably wouldn't know what NZ's economy is liek right?

And yet,*walks to the window and puts his hand on it* it's our economy that sucks, so you NZ'ers should feel lucky.. :( Because last Spring we had a recession, which turned into inflation, and.. fuck it, I'm just gonna be quiet now.

P.S. Blame it all on George W. Bush!

At 11/16/08 05:04 PM, RohantheBarbarian wrote: Did any of you guys catch the new Top Gear tonight?

FUCK FUCK FUCK I missed it!

Mayve I'll see a newer one tonight!

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 14:47:57

so it's pointless paying insurance for something I'm not using. I really do miss driving though. :(
YA RLY.
And I don't even drive yet. But, I'd be all over the road, as that's what I do in video games!

When you do drive, go for stick-it's more fun to drive, but you might stall, or pop the clutch on the first rounds with it. I know I did XD Automatic isn't even close to manual-the only reason why people do, is either they don't know how to drive stick, or are too lazy to.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 15:38:12

I'd never even bother driving an automatic transmission car unless I absolutely had no other choice. Manuals are so much better to drive; I like having that extra bit of control.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 15:50:26

At 11/23/08 03:38 PM, NEVR wrote: I'd never even bother driving an automatic transmission car unless I absolutely had no other choice. Manuals are so much better to drive; I like having that extra bit of control.

Same thing here. The first car I ever drove, I think was an Automatic Subaru Impreza(It was a rental car). Then I got my hands around a 97 Jetta GL. It was the boxiest piece of crap I've ever seen, but the transmission worked like a charm <3. Btw, NEVR, what kind of car do you drive?

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 15:53:18

At 11/23/08 03:50 PM, SupraAddict wrote: Btw, NEVR, what kind of car do you drive?

At the moment, nothing, as I'm at university. I have driven various cars in the past though, including an old Ford Fiesta, a Peugeot 206, a Ford KA, and a brand new Ford Fiesta. All manuals. The latter 2, despite being kinda girly, were probably the nicest to drive.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 16:22:11

At 11/23/08 03:53 PM, NEVR wrote:
At 11/23/08 03:50 PM, SupraAddict wrote: Btw, NEVR, what kind of car do you drive?
At the moment, nothing, as I'm at university. I have driven various cars in the past though, including an old Ford Fiesta, a Peugeot 206, a Ford KA, and a brand new Ford Fiesta. All manuals. The latter 2, despite being kinda girly, were probably the nicest to drive.

I haven't heard of that model up until now-the Fiesta I mean. Despite being from America, The company, Ford doesn't sell the Fiesta, or the KA here. It's Ironic that it's a top seller in other countries and they don't market it here.

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 16:28:26

At 11/23/08 04:22 PM, SupraAddict wrote: It's Ironic that it's a top seller in other countries and they don't market it here.

They're small cars, and from what I know of America, you guys don't really do 'small', so I'm not all that surprised that they don't sell those models across the pond. ;P

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 16:47:35

At 11/23/08 04:28 PM, NEVR wrote:
At 11/23/08 04:22 PM, SupraAddict wrote: It's Ironic that it's a top seller in other countries and they don't market it here.
They're small cars, and from what I know of America, you guys don't really do 'small', so I'm not all that surprised that they don't sell those models across the pond. ;P

Oh funny, hahaha >:P
Our State actually is the healthiest in the country, so, where's the love?...Or Fiesta?

Besides, Nobody's buying from GM; They've all turned to the imports like honda, Subaru....and Toyota :3

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-23 21:21:30

At 11/23/08 04:47 PM, SupraAddict wrote: Oh funny, hahaha >:P

Heh, you know I'm only messing.

Besides, Nobody's buying from GM; They've all turned to the imports like honda, Subaru....and Toyota :3

People seem to be loving Japanese cars these days, huh?

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-25 14:54:49

People seem to be loving Japanese cars these days, huh?

Of course not!

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-25 15:24:12

At 11/23/08 09:21 PM, NEVR wrote: People seem to be loving Japanese cars these days, huh?

Reliability ftw. Also, did any of you see that I-REAL on Top Gear? Just imagine how much fun pootling around in that must be :P

The new GT-R has to be my favourite Jap car of the year. It's so mind bendingly fast and the methods used to make them are fascinating. For example the rims for the tyres have a specially made lip on them, to stop the tyres flying off during corners at high speed. And the engines are made in a special sealed factory. And they're all hand built so no two engines are the same. Plus it looks awesome. It is a bit soulless though, it probably feels like it could drive itself without your help.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to The Car Enthusiasts Club 2008-11-25 18:56:36

At 11/23/08 09:21 PM, NEVR wrote: People seem to be loving Japanese cars these days, huh?

It's because they're reliable, small and fuel efficient.

BBS Signature