New Topic Respond to this Topic
Henry-nougat
Henry-nougat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 18:25:06 Reply

At 1/6/09 03:11 PM, Luis wrote: Well in the end, i think the sbt should be about newgrounds community that is not only proud to be part of the community but has an active role in it.

So if you are Pablo Picaso but you dont do anything here in newgrounds you aint getting into the sketchbook tour. Its a newgrounds community project, not an a generic art project. Im sure theres talented folks outside of ng that would make for great additions to the tour but is it a NG Sketchbook Tour if im accepting people who dont really participate in newgrounds?

I agree with you here, If I was going to enter next year I think I'd definitely make the effort to help somewhere in the portals or submit something of my own in support.

Otherwise it isn't really a newgrounds sketchbook its just newgrounds and 'friends'? lol.

Off to check out the 08' one now wee.

My Art. Enjoy Life

BBS Signature
Temariix
Temariix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Artist
Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 20:05:52 Reply

I know this might be considered one of those reverse discrimination type things, but what if a certain number of spots out of the total pages for 2009 were set aside for the lesser known artists. And then comes the problem, who's a lesser artist? The best bet would be someone new versus someone who's been around for 5 years and only has 2 submissions. This in itself isn't bad, but the only reason they aren't as recognized as some other people is because of the lack of activity.

I personally believe that, if requirements are set, there needs to be at least SOME activity in the art forum to participate in the sketchbook tour. That way, each user might understand what they're contributing a bit more?

What a problem! So far, any solution being put up, still discriminates/puts down someone. To find that perfect balance would be difficult. The best solution that I can think of right now would be to start working on the 2009 collab now. Not sending out the pages, but getting the flash itself set up, because as I can imagine, that's a large, if not huge, time consumer. If the flash is set up with a basic/generic template, you can post up that template in .fla format so that those who are able can set up their own page and then send it in.

Actually, since I'm just writing as the ideas come, that's a really good idea. Luis, or whomever is in charge of the coding, post up the necessary information needed and the generic actionscript along with a .fla file of the template page for the sketchbook page. If each person, or most people, could set up their own page, I'm sure that will cut down on a lot of work.

Also, there is still the potential problem of just the sheer number of people who want in versus the "small" number of pages available. This year it was around 115 or so, and I can safely say that there was at least 150, if not 200, who wanted to participate. If there could be a way that a sketchbook page would be easily accessible at minimum cost, that would work out so much better. I was thinking that the pages could be put into the NG store, or something, but then you run into the issue of money. The past two years, the sketchbook has been free (minus shipping) to those of us who participated. If you start to charge for each page, then it kind of loses its charm.

But there still remains the problem of the fact that only one person is in charge of it all, which is a quite time consuming process. I wouldn't want to be the one to individually package, label, and ship 300 pages just because there is a demand for it. Of course there will be a demand, but it's costly. All I'm figuring right now is if you (Luis) got some help so you wouldn't be the only one doing this.

I dunno. I'm just shooting out ideas here. This is such a great project/opportunity, I don't want to see it go downhill.

PigeonOnAStick
PigeonOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-07 11:19:11 Reply

At 1/6/09 08:33 AM, Luis wrote: So what do you guys think would be a fair way to 'screen' people ....

Totally fair. I think you've hit the nail on the head that the tour lives on to be a year round-up of the community. I don't feel like a proper contributor, since I haven't made a Flash, and this is fundamentally a Flash site.

It's fine with Flash submissions in the past year, but if you really feel you want to go a step further, weight it on
-Art portal submissions
-Number of Posts

I guess it depends on how you plan to show art portal submissions in the next Sketchbook tour.

At 1/6/09 05:46 PM, austinzombie wrote: just think of me as HahaBears

ohhhhhh

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-07 12:17:48 Reply

Rumors point to the art portal kicking off before i actually start up the next tour, the only problem in that is that itll be a fairly new feature so i dont know how quickly we can begin using that as a viable source of inclusion into the tour. I cant disclose too much in regards to how the AP will work when it starts up but yeah... im tentative to see it as a strong measure of regulating people.

I know i complained a bit about the amount of work involved in making the 2008 tour, but actually i DO enjoy putting it together, i do like having all entries filter through me. I do like the sending out pages to people, i do like most of the way the tour runs. I also DO like that its an exclusive project. Theres just something more special about it. To know you clawed yourself through 200 other people.
At the same time it encourages people who DO get in to make a better effort to return entries. This past tour actually had the strongest participation rate of any of the tours. I only had about 10-13 entries that never made it back to me. Which is GREAT. It shows that I'm doing something right and people are actually taking the project seriously. Hopefully this next tour that participation ratio will be even better.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve to change things in the next tour to further personalize it. So I'm feeling good about it. It will hopefully allow me to get the number of people bumped up to 150. I do want to have a cutoff somewhere. I understand it is frusterating to not get into the tour but it is what it is. And i dont want people to take it personally if they dont get into it.

None

austinzombie
austinzombie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-07 14:04:41 Reply

At 1/7/09 11:19 AM, PigeonOnAStick wrote: ohhhhhh

Are you like TurkeyOnAStick's alt?

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-22 13:14:32 Reply

Well I heard through the grapevine that the shirts arrived and they just need to do a photoshoot for em and they should be up soon.

None

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy

None

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-29 16:56:16 Reply

At 1/29/09 04:19 PM, Luis wrote: Took awhile but its up

http://www.newgrounds.com/store/product/
sketchbook-tour-shirt

Awesome :3
How long will they be around for? Kinda waiting on new credit card.

BBS Signature