00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Rage11603 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask a crane operator.

63,905 Views | 340 Replies

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 11:21:06

would you consider getting a paintball gun and shooting people..

but get a good one so you can get far..

and in the slim chance that you actually do it, post pics :)

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 11:43:24

At 7/17/08 10:16 PM, ghyfty wrote: Do your nuts hurt when you're high up?

Only when I sit on those hairy bastards.

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 11:52:26

How exhilarating is it being that high up? Or was it never very exciting?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 12:26:04

What is the most monumental/distinctive building you have had the honour of building?

Pics would be nice :D.

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 12:32:49

1. How long does it take to go up and down the ladder?
2. If you need a pee, what do you do? Do you go back down the crane or is is there a toilet inside the crane, or what?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 13:41:23

What would happen if you were in a crane that could hold up however many tons, and what you picked up was a teeeeeeny bit less than that, and then a bird landed on it. A fat one.
Would the crane just fall over?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 16:48:43

do you feel like pissing on people and the people saying its raining

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I EAT PEANUTS!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 17:04:11

What was the most frightening moment you ever lived up in that cabin ?
What was the most gratifying moment you lives in that cabin ?
Have you ever had dreams about dying in the crane ?

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 17:06:43

This has probably been asked but.

What happens when you have to go to the BATHROOM?.

Also where do you see crane technology 50, 100, 300 years from now?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 17:20:02

At 7/18/08 11:52 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: How exhilarating is it being that high up? Or was it never very exciting?

Pretty exciting when I was just learning. Now, not so much...

At 7/18/08 12:26 PM, Mrputter wrote: What is the most monumental/distinctive building you have had the honour of building?

Pics would be nice :D.

I've never built anything that could be considered monumental. The stuff I've done have all been hotels/condos/office buildings.

Also, check the first post in this thread for my facebook album of pics taken from and of my cranes for pics. ;]

At 7/18/08 12:32 PM, SPLINTERCELL58 wrote: 1. How long does it take to go up and down the ladder?
2. If you need a pee, what do you do? Do you go back down the crane or is is there a toilet inside the crane, or what?

If I'm in a rush I can get all the way to the top in less than 10 minutes and all the way down in 5 minutes.

I piss in empty water bottles and try to not take shits up here.

At 7/18/08 01:41 PM, iateamexican wrote: What would happen if you were in a crane that could hold up however many tons, and what you picked up was a teeeeeeny bit less than that, and then a bird landed on it. A fat one.
Would the crane just fall over?

With this particular type of crane. In the scenario you described my hoist motor would just kick out as these cranes are calibrated during erection to quit hoisting at 75% of it's structural capacity.

On an older mobile crane the crane would begin to tip over.

At 7/18/08 04:48 PM, Wimpestguytolive wrote: do you feel like pissing on people and the people saying its raining

Been there, done that. Lost the t-shirt.

At 7/18/08 05:04 PM, NeoSoviet wrote: What was the most frightening moment you ever lived up in that cabin ?
What was the most gratifying moment you lives in that cabin ?
Have you ever had dreams about dying in the crane ?

Most frightening moment hands down would be when the rigging that we were using snapped when I had close to 30,000lbs of pressure on it. When the rigging broke the crane flew backwards quite violently and everything that I had on my shelves fell and I almost shit my pants.

Most gratifying moment had to be when I flew an injured man down from the top of the building down to the ground. That man almost died that day...

I do occasionally have very vivid dreams of the crane falling out of the sky.
I usually wake up in a cold sweat and take a minute of two to realize it was just a dream.

At 7/18/08 05:06 PM, JackPhantasm wrote: Also where do you see crane technology 50, 100, 300 years from now?

There are new advances in exo-skeleton's for humans that allow the wearer to lift things much heavier than he could with out it. I believe that will lower the use of forklifts and small cranes very much in the near future. But as far as 300 years or so in the future it's really kinda hard to guess.
But if I took a guess I'd say that these types of cranes will still be in use but they will be much more autonomous therefore eliminating the risk of human error.

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 17:24:15

At 7/7/08 10:38 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote:
At 7/7/08 05:53 PM, Zerok wrote: How fast can you rotate the whole thing before it becomes wildly unsafe and falls over?

Or can it even do a 360?
Yeah the crane can do a 360.

And an ollie?

And if you forgot your lunchbox? go all the way down or catch a pigeon?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 17:24:32

Are all the tasks capable of doing such a thing without advanced artificial intelligence though.

For instance the pouring of the concrete sounds like it would not work well automated.

Exoskeletons are definitely the next step. Imagine yourself then, perhaps, in some sort of crane mech. I can see that happening before cranes would be automated. Because you'd still have that element of human technique that I think won't be replicated for a long time. Anyways.

What's the biggest building you've ever worked on. That' sprobably already been asked...

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 17:25:32

What happens if something in your cabin catches in fire, or worst, something at the base of your crane explode. Do you have some sort of emergency exit or a parachute?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-18 17:49:07

a)are there port-a-potties there?
b)if someone were to attach a hook to the top,would you be willing to lift it?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-19 09:05:55

1. What exactly made you choose the name EyeLovePoozy?
2. Has this question already been asked?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-19 13:42:27

What do you usually eat for lunch?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-20 19:29:45

Have you ever gotten high, while you were high?

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 08:46:16

At 7/18/08 05:24 PM, gazmask wrote:
At 7/7/08 10:38 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote:
At 7/7/08 05:53 PM, Zerok wrote: How fast can you rotate the whole thing before it becomes wildly unsafe and falls over?

Or can it even do a 360?
Yeah the crane can do a 360.
And an ollie?

And if you forgot your lunchbox? go all the way down or catch a pigeon?

I bring stuff right to my window. Negative on the ollie though... =D

At 7/18/08 05:24 PM, JackPhantasm wrote: Are all the tasks capable of doing such a thing without advanced artificial intelligence though.

For instance the pouring of the concrete sounds like it would not work well automated.

Exoskeletons are definitely the next step. Imagine yourself then, perhaps, in some sort of crane mech. I can see that happening before cranes would be automated. Because you'd still have that element of human technique that I think won't be replicated for a long time. Anyways.

What's the biggest building you've ever worked on. That' sprobably already been asked...

It's really exciting stuff the possibilities new technology will provide to my business man. I truly can't wait for the exo suit. Also, you are completely right about the artificial intelligence remark you
made. I have to correct for the stupidity of my flagmen constantly and react instantly to changes in wind speed and/or load movement. It's not impossible I think but it's not going to come anytime soon.

Also, the tallest building I've done was 80 stories.

At 7/18/08 05:25 PM, AsthmaticHamster wrote: What happens if something in your cabin catches in fire, or worst, something at the base of your crane explode. Do you have some sort of emergency exit or a parachute?

Well I have an extinguisher handy up here at all times. Anything that happens on the ground is out of my hands though. If anything were to happen such as an explosion I would be royally fucked.

No parachutes. haha >_<

At 7/18/08 05:49 PM, hootsmon wrote: a)are there port-a-potties there?
b)if someone were to attach a hook to the top,would you be willing to lift it?

Of course there are port-a-potties. I fly several of them up and down for the guys up top a couple of times a week.

Also, speaking of port-a-potties. I have a funny story about one.

One time I was flying one that had been on the deck in the sun for 2 weeks! Needless to say it was absolutely rancid and filled to the brim with the worst imaginable. As I was bringing it down to the ground the hardware that we use to hook it up to the crane failed and the thing flipped upside down and rained what I would estimate as being at least 100 gallons of shit, piss and god knows what else down on all the people that were on the ground.

After yelling "WATCH OUT" through my PA system and watching in riveted horror as that putrid mess plummeted to the ground. I then proceeded to laugh like a maniac over my PA at the top of my lungs.....

lol

At 7/19/08 09:05 AM, Objection wrote: 1. What exactly made you choose the name EyeLovePoozy?

Sheer, utter stupidity and lack of foresight.

At 7/19/08 01:42 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: What do you usually eat for lunch?

Different job sites have different lunch times. On this particular site lunch time is at 12:00pm.

At 7/20/08 07:29 PM, Butt-Blast wrote: Have you ever gotten high, while you were high?

Never.

Not only am I subject to random drug tests. I have an immense responsibility to make sure that all the men that showed up for work everyday go home alive with all their extremities intact.

I take that burden very seriously.

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 08:50:02

Have you ever dropped anything that the crane was meant to be moving?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 09:02:27

At 7/22/08 08:49 AM, cast wrote: He asked what you have for lunch not when you have it you big thug. god damn

He's a diabetic, he eats senior members souls and sugarless rock star energy drinks, send him chocolates.

Fucking god damn multi tasking!

I'm not diabetic man. haha
Also I eat whatever is on the lunch truck that day. If I eat at all.....

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 09:11:17

how is it possible that you don't shit your pants? srsly...

If you see this, this topic must've been bumped!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 09:24:44

At 7/18/08 05:20 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: With this particular type of crane. In the scenario you described my hoist motor would just kick out as these cranes are calibrated during erection to quit hoisting at 75% of it's structural capacity.

That would be so awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 09:34:34

Have you ever had the compulsion to go out onto the jib and showoff your superiority over meer mortals on the ground? i.e. dance, sing, masturbate over the side etc...

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 23:01:58

At 7/22/08 09:09 AM, mranarchy wrote: How fast could you spin the crane around without toppling it?

The crane can only swing so fast. It's impossible to swing it fast enough to knock it over.

At 7/22/08 09:11 AM, YK-Blaze wrote: how is it possible that you don't shit your pants? srsly...

I try to eat as little fiber as possible and remove my pants before commencing my day in the crane.

Just in case.

At 7/22/08 09:24 AM, iateamexican wrote:
At 7/18/08 05:20 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: With this particular type of crane. In the scenario you described my hoist motor would just kick out as these cranes are calibrated during erection to quit hoisting at 75% of it's structural capacity.

That would be so awesome.

You only say that because you have never been in the seat of a crane that is beginning to tip forward and is very close to toppling. It's a very harrowing experience to say the least.

At 7/22/08 09:34 AM, positively-negative wrote: Have you ever had the compulsion to go out onto the jib and showoff your superiority over meer mortals on the ground? i.e. dance, sing, masturbate over the side etc...

Well I've never had the urge to dance or jerk off while out on my jib. But at the beginning of my career as a crane operator I have gone out there without a harness while feeling pretty bad ass about it.

I never do that shit anymore. Well almost never....

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 23:21:42

Have you ever had thoughts of rampaging though teh streets of Miami on a crane?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-22 23:28:17

Did you have trouble at first with your fear of heights? Thinking that one false step could lead to certain death?

sorry if this has already been posted, i didn't read the whole damn thread

NG's Useless One Liner-er (just kidding Evark, don't ban me :S)

BBS Signature

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-23 00:31:58

How long does the average job last? I read the whole thread and I don't think anyone has asked this one yet.

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-25 16:01:46

At 7/22/08 11:21 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: Have you ever had thoughts of rampaging though teh streets of Miami on a crane?

The type of cranes I run are static mounted and can't be driven anywhere except in pieces loaded on trucks. But that would be cool though.

At 7/23/08 12:31 AM, tbmagoo wrote: How long does the average job last? I read the whole thread and I don't think anyone has asked this one yet.

Anywhere between one and three years.
Most jobs that I've done have been completed within a year and a half.

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-29 14:31:49

At 7/27/08 11:29 AM, mranarchy wrote: Have you ever used one of those smaller cranes (I have no Idea what the name is) that

Yeah sure, plenty of times.

I learned how to run hydraulic cranes before learning how to run tower cranes.

Response to Ask a crane operator. 2008-07-29 14:33:57

you ever think about picking up people with the crane?

Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature