00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac

9,767 Views | 211 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 04:03:40

At 6/22/08 03:21 AM, Nintechno wrote:
At 6/22/08 02:11 AM, SMA wrote: If we do the team theme, I wanna collab with Nintechno. He's one hard-headed kid. I relate and respect that. :P
Explain. Now.

The dictionary has two meanings for "Hardheaded". One is more desirable than the other. I would like to know which one you were using...

LOL! Either definition is a compliment in my book. Take it in stride. : )

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 08:26:32

I didn't rip on the emotional/tears idea, I said the general emotions idea would be a tad vague. If we do that, I would allow up to 2 or 4 different emotions to let people pick from so we can have top 2/1 in each category.

The team idea is really a delicate one. I mean so much can go wrong with it, so many areas exploitable. Though people seem to show interest, I can't promise we can do it unless we can organize and think of a sturdy system for it.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 09:20:35

At 6/22/08 08:26 AM, MaestroRage wrote: I didn't rip on the emotional/tears idea, I said the general emotions idea would be a tad vague. If we do that, I would allow up to 2 or 4 different emotions to let people pick from so we can have top 2/1 in each category.

The team idea is really a delicate one. I mean so much can go wrong with it, so many areas exploitable. Though people seem to show interest, I can't promise we can do it unless we can organize and think of a sturdy system for it.

I did notice your use of the word "general". I think the best way to attempt an "emotions" based MAC would be to have opposing themes, to pull a random example out of my ass, Jealousy vs Pride.

I'm skeptical about a team MAC also. I think the collaborative aspect is great, but it'd need to be totally fool-proof to work.

As far as revoting goes, I think that we should develop some of the ideas more, so that they are ready to go competitions we're deciding on, rather than a concept, such as a specific emotion MAC or a ___ vs ___ MAC to eliminate confusion.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 10:14:25

i've been gone for a week, fill me up.

with KNOWLEDGE, Chron, with KNOWLEDGE.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 12:31:13

At 6/21/08 11:52 PM, MaestroRage wrote: LJCoffee had used this exact same system. In an ideal world, it is perfect.

I can very much vouch for what MaestroRage is saying here. He described exactly what happened. It should work but it never did...

Voting systems... I don't know. I've tried a number of methods. Every one of them has proven flawed in one way or another.

It really would be great to find a foolproof method to allow competitiors to also act as judges.

MaestroRage, would you mind if people posted suggestions for judging in this topic? I don't know if another one is really needed but it may be better to keep that in it's own little bubble...

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 13:01:22

How about a vocals one?

I know there are plenty of free vocals out there, it would be interesting to see what people could do with the same vocals. See all the different combos... Or even a collab with vocals? I donno...

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 13:12:40

Maestro, if you're looking for another poll site, this one seems pretty good:

Yourfreepoll

Script uses cookies (hurray no repetitive voting - I hope), completely remote (you can't get blamed for results again) and you can also choose an option for remembering ip addresses too to ensure no repeat votes. Looks pretty solid.

Didn't know if you needed a suggestion but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

~SinJim

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 18:34:19

I don't mind if people want to share judging opinions, I just didn't want this thread to bounce around like super crazy. So go ahead people.

Also the teams theme, i'm afraid we just can't do it for a prize just yet. There are far too many factors to include and without first getting a control test drive I can't promise Tom or anyone else it will go smoothly. On top of that it would reak all sorts of hell for judges, AND let's not mention the odd team member disappearing on them.

It's going to happen, unless you're a regular team up and you KNOW the other person is going to stick with you, with random contestants if they leave you're boned.

So if people want to, I have no problem busting out a test drive MAC alongside a real MAC for this type of contest.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 18:53:54

GO VOTE NAO... AGAIN...

Pick as many as you'd like, it makes sense to let people pick the ones they'd like to do rather then the one they'd like to do next.

if not enough feedback is returned i'll make a new thread for it. I think people may have been like, well screw this thread by now.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 20:48:27

At 6/22/08 06:53 PM, MaestroRage wrote: GO VOTE NAO... AGAIN...

This poll looks more promising.

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 21:28:53

At 6/22/08 08:48 PM, WritersBlock wrote:
At 6/22/08 06:53 PM, MaestroRage wrote: GO VOTE NAO... AGAIN...
This poll looks more promising.

except for the fact we have a 4 way tie right now! I guess we can always run a more focused 1 vote only poll if it stays that way. In either case i'd really like to have a MAC idea confirmed before we enter the next month.

But yeah, at least this poll will let us know what other MAC's people are interested in. Just makes more sense.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 22:08:41

Hey dude MaestroRage, I got an idea!

Seems that the 2 most wanted themes are the "Team, Collab" one and the "Emotional/Tears :,( crying baby <(^^,)>", so why not just making both, you make the teams and we make an emotional song ;D

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 22:13:45

At 6/22/08 10:08 PM, JohnnyFrizz wrote: Hey dude MaestroRage, I got an idea!

Seems that the 2 most wanted themes are the "Team, Collab" one and the "Emotional/Tears :,( crying baby <(^^,)>", so why not just making both, you make the teams and we make an emotional song ;D

why the hell not?! Sounds like a doable idea. Though i'd still like to wait 2 more days before deciding anything.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 23:00:36

At 6/22/08 10:13 PM, MaestroRage wrote: why the hell not?! Sounds like a doable idea. Though i'd still like to wait 2 more days before deciding anything.

K! Consider it pls...just a question...why are you refusing to give any prizes if we vote for the Team-double them contest? Using psychology huh? ;) Very cleaver...

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 23:06:51

not at all. It's just the idea is so raw, and has so much potential to hit disaster that I don't want to risk sullying the MAC's name and potentially losing funding by hosting a potential train wreck. If the first test drive goes smoothly and very positively, then i'd support it as a fully legit MAC with prizes. But if it goes south, and fast, the only thing we'd have lost is time.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 23:17:27

At 6/22/08 11:06 PM, MaestroRage wrote:

:If the first test drive goes smoothly and very positively, then i'd support it as a fully legit MAC with prizes.

I get it! And you didnt put all that on the poll cause it was to big right? uhumm...very well then!

So there you go! There WILL BE PRIZES if you vote for the Double-team contest, now go, vote and behave pls ^^

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-22 23:30:04

At 6/22/08 11:06 PM, MaestroRage wrote: not at all. It's just the idea is so raw, and has so much potential to hit disaster that I don't want to risk sullying the MAC's name and potentially losing funding by hosting a potential train wreck. If the first test drive goes smoothly and very positively, then i'd support it as a fully legit MAC with prizes. But if it goes south, and fast, the only thing we'd have lost is time.

Check your PMs, I've sent you my ideas on a tournament MAC incorporating a bit of a team (actually, it's more of a "dual" lol) with different themes and styles for each stage.

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 00:37:50

What are peoples thought on an elimination based MAC?

Get all of the MAC entries together and to judge a winner, pair them all off in VS. rounds - this way, all participants can judge without too much bias.

Everyone votes on every set of entries except their own. Each step eliminates half the entries, then the winners move on to the quarter, semi and final rounds. Odd entries get paired up on the next tier.
At every step, everyone judges openly - we could either just post our votes or I could help set up a voting/poll site for MAC use if it's needed. In theory, we'll end up with fair results and everyone can take part as both a contestant and as a judge.

In fact, I'd suggest going one step further and make it mandatory that all contestants take part in the judging - if someone doesn't make themselves availablw to help judge, then their entry is disqualified.

Even with over a hundred entries, there would only be 4 or 5 tiers max...

*** This is a very quick outline and I'm CERTAIN that people can find plenty of faults but I'm just throwing it out there...

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 01:36:35

At 6/23/08 12:37 AM, LJCoffee wrote: What are peoples thought on an elimination based MAC?

Get all of the MAC entries together and to judge a winner, pair them all off in VS. rounds - this way, all participants can judge without too much bias.

Everyone votes on every set of entries except their own. Each step eliminates half the entries, then the winners move on to the quarter, semi and final rounds. Odd entries get paired up on the next tier.
At every step, everyone judges openly - we could either just post our votes or I could help set up a voting/poll site for MAC use if it's needed. In theory, we'll end up with fair results and everyone can take part as both a contestant and as a judge.

In fact, I'd suggest going one step further and make it mandatory that all contestants take part in the judging - if someone doesn't make themselves availablw to help judge, then their entry is disqualified.

Even with over a hundred entries, there would only be 4 or 5 tiers max...

*** This is a very quick outline and I'm CERTAIN that people can find plenty of faults but I'm just throwing it out there...

I'm a bit ahead of you there. I've been talking with maestro about a tournament/elimination MAC to span over a 3 month period. I PM'ed him with a proposition for the layout, guidelines, challenges etc. I feel that it's definitely the way to go. I'm a little bit skeptical about how the first round of voting would go, because I'd imagine that some people might not want to face the better musicians because they'll probably lose, so they'll vote for the worse musician. I think if we could get a panel of judges, maybe a couple of trusted regulars who are participating could vote as well, to get some numbers up. Whatever happens, there's likely to be some flaws with the judging.

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 03:23:29

I think the vocals idea is awesome. Of all the categories (not including ones that are really really broad ie. emotion) it would allow for the most variety while still sticking to a central idea, and it allows for almost any style/genre to be used. But I suppose the poll is what'll decide it

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 07:27:56

i think the team idea is a cool idea, except i dont think having a partner chosen for you is a good idea. in a perfect world, everyone gets along, but its not a perfect world...and no one wants their chances ruined because they dont work well with their partner. its just a fact of life.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 10:49:48

At 6/23/08 01:36 AM, WritersBlock wrote: ...a tournament/elimination MAC to span over a 3 month period.

Not bad - a contest running several months could be cool but I think we could do all of the above inside of one month.

I think it's important to set hard deadlines and dates for submissions and voting - this way everyone will know from the start when they need to post and they'll also know when to expect results.

I'm a little bit skeptical about how the first round of voting...Whatever happens, there's likely to be some flaws with the judging.

This is true - there will always be problems but at least you're trying to think of a solution. If we all vote on everything except our own work then it's always possible that people might do what you described but it would only pose a problem if everyone did it and I think (I hope) that most of us would try to be honest and fair...

lol - yeah sure... Sorry about that, for a second I forgot where I was posting... heh...

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 11:05:57

the tounament/elimination one sounds freaking epic. PERIOD.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 11:29:56

At 6/23/08 10:49 AM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 6/23/08 01:36 AM, WritersBlock wrote: ...a tournament/elimination MAC to span over a 3 month period.
Not bad - a contest running several months could be cool but I think we could do all of the above inside of one month.

I think it's important to set hard deadlines and dates for submissions and voting - this way everyone will know from the start when they need to post and they'll also know when to expect results.

Hmm... yeah. I've just basically outlined my proposed ideas. I've pictured the tournament as a one on one version of the continue the song game, where each musician will rally off 2 or 3 parts per round. So allowing time for everyone to do that, plus judging after each round, I think it'd be tough to keep up with. I agree that we souldn't be so loose about deadlines, but I think for the intricate tournament I've talked over with maestro, 3 months doesn't seem like too long.

I'm a little bit skeptical about how the first round of voting...Whatever happens, there's likely to be some flaws with the judging.
This is true - there will always be problems but at least you're trying to think of a solution. If we all vote on everything except our own work then it's always possible that people might do what you described but it would only pose a problem if everyone did it and I think (I hope) that most of us would try to be honest and fair...

lol - yeah sure... Sorry about that, for a second I forgot where I was posting... heh...

Yeah, I think in theory, your system works, and you're probably right, if we have enough people voting, it shouldn't be a problem. But if we have enough people voting, there's more judges to rely on, and that'd require the majority of competitors listening to and voting on all the other submissions, tough to keep track of. I think that opening judging up to competitors could be good, but I think some judges outside the competition should also be used (maybe give their votes more weighting?)

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 11:44:04

My vote goes toward a Goa trance competition.

<_<

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 11:53:37

it requires psychedelics like mushrooms and lsd

did u get it

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 11:57:50

Longest song, fewest notes, still keeping the listener interested(ish) wins.

The judges will cry.

Hi there my name is not Bill.

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 12:08:05

At 6/23/08 11:57 AM, curriemaster wrote: Longest song, fewest notes, still keeping the listener interested(ish) wins.

The judges will cry.

This is actually a pretty cool idea - it would be all about tone and harmony.

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 12:10:12

At 6/23/08 11:29 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Hmm... yeah. I've just basically outlined my proposed ideas.

Cool beans - sounds like you've got it all covered. I'm sure that you guys can handle it all. The details are always a pain in the ass - there will almost always be a few people that don't like this or that - think it's unfair blah blah blah... It sounds good enough for use here though - after all this is only the AP.

At 6/23/08 11:57 AM, curriemaster wrote: The judges will cry.

Yeah... I don't know if the best way to win a MAC is to annoy the judges :D

BBS Signature

Response to Taking Suggestions For The Next Mac 2008-06-23 14:42:44

At 6/23/08 01:31 PM, Chronamut wrote: ya you dont want the few judges that DO stick around to go shoot themselves.

That could be a side-challenge ... last judge standing wins.