00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

deadenddraws just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do less work, get better grades.

12,166 Views | 107 Replies

Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:40:50

So dudes, here is the friggin' deal:

I'm an engineering student, and I just finished my second year. I've got first class honours standing, but in the interest of I'm really lazy, I'm going to try to improve my methods of learning and organization so that I can do even less work and get even better grades. I did this all through public school and high school, and it really is useful, but I feel like I've been reaching a plateau at university.

As such, I'm turning this into a project, and writing it all down. This will help keep me on track in terms of improvement, and it will also allow me to tell everything I find out to my contemporaries. I'll publish really important shit here, but I'll keep more regular updates going on this blag.

Is this just a cheap promotion for my blag? Probably. But seeing as nearly everyone on NG is a student, it'll probably be useful to the majority of you. I'd use my userpage on NG for it, but I'm not really satisfied with the options available for including images in posts.

The Basics

This is probably the most important post I'm going to make. This is a list of all the major things that you should do as soon as you can if you want to work less and do more. This is an ongoing process, and the list will change as more items are added to it, or existing ones are replaced with better explanations.

Learn to Learn
This one comes first because it's the most important. The easiest way to waste time is to use a basic strategy for learning that someone else came up with for you. Everything I post here will help generally, but at the basic level, you know better than anyone else what helps you to understand and remember things.

For me, it's easy enough to listen to someone talk and understand everything they're saying. Unfortunately, when I leave, I'll immediately forget all of it. What works for me is to write things down. Generally, I just summarize the major ideas that are essential to the material, but occasionally I'll go for it and just write down everything. Once I'm done, I put the notes away and generally never look at them again. It's the process of writing that's important to me, not the reference material for the future.

The key here is, do what works for you, and do it well. If you learn by listening to people talk, bring a tape recorder. If you learn by doing problems, you can take minimal notes, work on a few problems from the book, and make a note of good problems for later. If you're like me, stay well stocked on paper products.

Don't Memorize, Understand
This one is obvious. Everyone says this, but it's true, and important, so I'm listing it here. Even if it's more work initially to understand a concept instead of just memorizing what you've been told, in the end, the root concepts will allow you to deduce everything else and you'll only need to remember about 5%-10% as much shit as you would have otherwise.

I find the handiest way to practice this is that if you don't read ahead (who the fuck does?), you can use what you learned one day to deduce what you're going to learn the next day. On one occasion, I realized that an entire course was essentially just a combination of two ideas that we already knew from the previous year. I stopped going to that class, because all of the lectures were just minor, obvious variations on things we already knew.

Go to Your Fucking Classes
Nobody likes this one. It's time consuming and often boring. In fact, I'm not even going to tell you to go to all your classes all the time. Sometimes, as I mentioned above, you'll have a class that isn't really worth attending because there's nothing to learn.

Generally though, lectures are the most efficient way to learn, which is to say, they provide the highest level of understanding and useful information for a given amount of time invested. You may be able to get a passing grade in slightly less time by reading course notes and the textbook, but if you go to your lectures, the most tedious parts are already done for you. Someone has summarized the notes, placed emphasis on the most important parts, and will often even tell you exactly what's going to appear on your exams.

Sit in the Front
Seriously. I know it's scary, but sitting in the front will reduce distraction, keep you awake, and drastically increase your attention span. Even if you don't want to be at the very front (although it's a good idea), one of the first three or four rows should do it.

Get Your Shit in Order
Have a system for keeping your notes in order, as well as one for keeping track of all of your upcoming assignments and what needs to be done for them. I have a system for this which I will describe in a later post.

The goals of the system should be:
- Makes notes easy to find should you need them
- Keeps you aware of what assignments you have and when they're due
- Keeps you aware of what has been/needs to be done for a particular assignment
- Is easy enough to manage that you won't give up on it.

That last point is the real sticking point for a lot of organizational systems. Many will require you to have a whole shitload of folders, boxes and binders to keep things all separate and compartmentalized. While this may make accessing things a bit easier, for the amount of information a student needs to manage, it's too much work to be putting into an organization system. Organization systems often become so bulky and unintuitive that they're just not worth it.

Personally, I find having a binder for every subject to be overly complicated and bulky. It's big, heavy, and sometimes you forget the correct binder and have to write your notes in one for a different subject, which throws everything way the hell off. I did this in high school, and it didn't work.

Fortunately, you can keep track of everything you need for university using just a clipboard, a binder, a whiteboard, and a stack of cue cards held together with a binder clip.

Keep Your Shit Clean
As much as it is reasonably possible, you should keep your desk and your room clean. This helps to reduce distractions when you're working, it makes it easier to find things, and it makes it feel like there's less work to be done.

You don't need to be obsessive, but a good standard is that if there's not enough room on your desk for an open binder, or there's any laundry or garbage on your floor, then you probably need to clean up.

Anything sticky should also be cleaned up, because what the hell.

Develop a Standard Format
Writing your notes all the same way makes them easier to follow, easier to sort, and easier to search should the need arise. Make yourself a standard format and start writing all of your notes the same way.

I start all my notes with the course code in the upper left corner and the date in the upper right corner. I don't usually title my pages, because the clip from the clipboard gets in the way.

Writing down explanations is fairly easy, just do it in paragraph form. It stands out fine because it's a block of text. It's good to have a marker between ideas. I use either an indent in the next paragraph or a blank line. I like to use the indent when I can remember because it saves paper.

Lists are where things get trickier. I have three symbols for lists to signify levels of importance. Large, important points/titles are underlined. Points which are associated with the underlined text are marked with a dash. Points that are sub-points to the dashed text are marked with an indent and a right-angle arrow. I have horrible penmanship, so the arrow helps me distinguish between an intentional indent and sloppiness. You may not have this problem.

Sometimes, more levels of priority are needed. In this case, I just alternate between dashes and right-angle arrows for each level.

(continued...)

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:41:51

Stop Lugging So Much Shit Around
There is no possible situation in which you will need three binders and four textbooks with you when you go to class. At best, each one of those will be useful in one class, and be nothing but weight and clutter for the rest.

If you've got your clipboard and stack of cue cards, you've got everything you need to record all the information you get, provided you have a pen loop in your clipboard. Textbooks are often superfluous, even in tutorials, and I bring them only when absolutely necessary (ex: working with others on a group project. Generally speaking, if you have enough things with you that you wouldn't be able to easily carry them with one arm, you're probably carrying too much shit.

It should be possible for you to get through university without a backpack. For the truly adventurous, it should be possible to get through without even wearing pants.

Get Rid of Your Laptop, Get a Second Monitor
Do I really mean you should throw your laptop away? No. If you've already got it, keep it, but leave it at home and don't bring it to class, unless you're really really good at taking notes with it. Generally speaking, pen and paper is the easiest and most intuitive way to take notes, especially when it comes to things like diagrams. A stack of paper is also often easier to manage than a set of files on a computer.

For the most part, a laptop in class is just a distraction for most people, and doesn't improve the learning process. At home, I have a desktop with two monitors. Even if you have a laptop, I highly suggest getting a second monitor and having your desktop span both. When you allocate one monitor for important shit and one for stupid shit, the stupid shit doesn't interrupt your work on the important shit.

Of course, this will make some of you complain about portability issues and not being able to work during breaks, and so on. I've found that I can effectively circumvent all of those issues with a USB storage device, which I keep attached to my key chain so I don't forget it.

Get Eight Hours of Sleep Every Night
Many people will tell you that sleep is for the weak, and that barely getting any sleep is a part of university life. You can always talk to your classmates about how little sleep each of you got last night because you were out partying or knitting or whatever the hell you and your friends do.

Truth is, sleep isn't for the weak, it's for the sleepy. Getting a proper amount of sleep makes it way easier to get up in the morning, and far easier to concentrate throughout the day. This results in work getting done faster. It'll also reduce the amount of time you're likely to sleep in on weekends. The amount of time you spend sleeping will likely balance out the amount of time you used to waste because of a lack of sleep. Of course, this isn't always possible, but do your best to get at least seven, and try not to make it a habit.

With that in mind, invest in a good mattress and some high-quality sheets. It's a third of your life, spend the money.

Eat Right and Stay in OK Shape
Eating properly will really increase your energy and your overall feeling of health. When you're feeling good, you work better, and get shit done faster. It also helps you stay in shape.

Staying in shape does the same stuff, as well as improving things like self-confidence. It also just makes it easier to get around.

In a future update, I'll post workout ideas for people who are too lazy to do a proper workout but want to stay in shape anyway.

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:44:33

I might have to book mark this so I can look back to it when I go back to college.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:46:23

you work harder in the beginning because its a new type of learning environment and you want to get ahead with a good start. once you have attended the school a few semesters, you get more comfortable and everything appears easier.

| - - - - - - - - - - - - - | my art thread | blood & gore | doodles | I'll draw you! | - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:46:39

I skimmed your post, mostly looking at the headers.

I was under the impression from the first bit that you were trying to beat the system, but upon looking through the methodology it seems you're just giving honest advice on how to be efficient. A lot of the stuff in there may fall under the "easier said than done" category, such as 'Understand, don't Memorize.' Rote memory is a terrible thing to rely on, I agree quite enthusiastically... the problem is is that you usually have to LIKE what you're doing in order to facilitate easier understanding, and at least be somewhat intelligent.

I shall check out your blog though, look like a good thing you've got going on here.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:47:01

At 5/30/08 09:41 AM, Elfer wrote:
In a future update, I'll post workout ideas for people who are too lazy to do a proper workout but want to stay in shape anyway.

Hey man. I can help you out there, check the most updated version to my newgrounds workout. You can take some ideas from that if you want. The workout is in my sig.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:49:52

At 5/30/08 09:44 AM, Corky52 wrote: I might have to book mark this so I can look back to it when I go back to college.

"Get your shit in order" will probably be the most relevant/useful part, especially once I get more details about my system up. In fact, I've started using it already, and I'm getting way more shit done without really feeling like I'm doing more work.

Example: Today I have ten non-work things listed to do, and despite having most of my day taken up by work or hanging out with my girlfriend, I'm pretty sure I can easily get all of these done. Before, I would have done maybe one to three of these and called it a day.

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:54:57

Good info. I didn't take notes, but I'm glad to see you sharing your keys to success. I can attest that everything you have said is true. Many of the same rules apply to me, too.

--Closing in on the Truth one turn at a time--

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:56:24

At 5/30/08 09:55 AM, Mad wrote:
At 5/30/08 09:43 AM, Bobbyballer wrote: how do i get a A++++ on inglish
your a lost cause if you can't spell English

You're not much better if you don't know how to use 'your' and 'you're'.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:58:03

At 5/30/08 09:56 AM, Objection wrote:
At 5/30/08 09:55 AM, Mad wrote:
At 5/30/08 09:43 AM, Bobbyballer wrote: how do i get a A++++ on inglish
your a lost cause if you can't spell English
You're not much better if you don't know how to use 'your' and 'you're'.

Efficiency tips:

[your, you're] ---> "yer"
[there, their, they're] ---> "thur"

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:58:06

it's nothing to do with it. listen, fucking listen when someone speak.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 09:58:37

TL;DR - Be a nerd

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 10:02:29

I've never once skipped a college class, and don't see how people can do it. The classes are smaller than 10 people, I pay a lot to be here, and what's taught in the classes I choose myself is too important to skip or else i'll get left behind.

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 10:32:06

At 5/30/08 10:02 AM, STEM wrote: I've never once skipped a college class, and don't see how people can do it. The classes are smaller than 10 people, I pay a lot to be here, and what's taught in the classes I choose myself is too important to skip or else i'll get left behind.

It's easy. If the material being taught in the lecture is simply the text being reiterated, then you're golden.
This starts to be less likely in higher years though. Last year I took a first year economics course for an elective, and for the first term I went to 7 lectures, and the second term I went to 0 classes and pulled off an A.

For my third year courses I attended nearly 100% of them. I missed a few due to sheer laziness every now and again, but I could always get notes from other students. No big deal.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 11:08:32

At 5/30/08 10:32 AM, Zerok wrote: It's easy. If the material being taught in the lecture is simply the text being reiterated, then you're golden.

I find that for a lot of classes though when the material is more complicated, lectures are very useful as an importance-weighted summary of what's in the text. You'll know what's essential, and you'll know what the prof considers important, and therefore what will be on the exam.

This starts to be less likely in higher years though. Last year I took a first year economics course for an elective, and for the first term I went to 7 lectures, and the second term I went to 0 classes and pulled off an A.

Well, first year economics courses are incredibly easy. I took one by correspondence and essentially learned the entire course in two days prior to the final. Didn't get an A, but was very close. Note that the strategy I used here wasn't the same as what I would use in the future.

For my third year courses I attended nearly 100% of them. I missed a few due to sheer laziness every now and again, but I could always get notes from other students. No big deal.

As long as you have people who take good, reliable notes, yeah. Sometimes missing class is hard to avoid, but as a general rule, it's good to attend.

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 11:22:24

Damn you Elfer! You posting this has guilt tripped me into doing revision for my exam on Wednesday.... = (

Seriosuly good idea though. I approve and shall be checking up on what you post on there to help me for my second year at university.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 12:27:46

I'm a smart student; my big flaw is laziness and procrastination. Can't do anything unless it's the last minute. I spend all the minutes leading up to the last minute thinking 'why am I doing this again, why am I slacking instead of revising' too.

can't seem to shake this flaw, had it since I was like 13.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 13:08:28

At 5/30/08 12:27 PM, Earfetish wrote: I'm a smart student; my big flaw is laziness and procrastination. Can't do anything unless it's the last minute. I spend all the minutes leading up to the last minute thinking 'why am I doing this again, why am I slacking instead of revising' too.

can't seem to shake this flaw, had it since I was like 13.

That's precisely my problem. That was really the last, big looming obstacle that I was facing against efficiency, since doing lots of work all at once is pretty much the slowest way to do it and gets the worst results. I've figured out that the way to beat it is to keep track of exactly what it is you need to do, break it down into small units of work, and figure out which ones are immediately doable.

I just started on this this week, and I've literally tripled or quadrupled the amount of shit I get done in a day. Not only does it keep track of all the shit you need to do, it also makes it seem a lot less daunting, making it a lot easier to get started.

I'll post about it today if I can, and post more detail about each part when I'm done with all my other shit.

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 16:29:04

Ladies and gentlemen,The Lazy Hobo Organization Scheme.

An easy four-part system to keep all of your shit in order and keep you on track to getting shit done with the smallest amount of effort put into organizing.

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 16:39:02

I always had a problem memorizing things, I'll check out on this more and maybe try it out.

Check out my profile! l Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 16:39:52

I've got an important one - Don't get high every day for the two years you spend at University.

Man, I learnt that one the hard way.

Minds shall break and bring a bright sky.

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 16:43:48

If you understand something you DO remember/memorize it. I agree though memorizing dates and shit is useless. I hate that. HATE that. I'm glad my art history teacher never made us remember dates.

Phew.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-30 16:48:30

Sounds like very efficient advice I may use, or am already using. Thanks for spreading the word!

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-05-31 01:34:10

At 5/30/08 04:43 PM, JackPhantasm wrote: If you understand something you DO remember/memorize it.

Kind of. You can deduce the smaller details on the fly rather than having to remember them.

Also, things that make sense are WAY easier to remember because you can fit them into a framework rather than remembering it as part of a set of indiscriminate facts.

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-06-01 18:08:40

Man, I wish someone had told me all this 10 years ago... Nice tips.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-06-01 18:20:44

if only that could apply to stuff i truly despised, sound advice if you like what your doing and learning but when it comes to things you tend to find dull or just boring it's not very apllicable for me anyway.

i remember doing last year of A-levels last year, were only 2 courses i liked but 3 was mandatory which was rather annoying so i just grabbed history since i was atleast "decent" at it.

the catch? the modern history teacher had to much work overall it seemed sof or the coursework part our class was assinged to the ancient history teachers and we had to learn about the theme she had in mind for our coursework.

landed a decent B thanks mainly to the exam as my coursework grades were not to shiny(because learning ancient history in a modern history course has nothing to f'ing do with it)

that said i tended to have a similar method to yours on the courses i liked doing, i could neverreally apply my own methods to history though given i just find it dull to no end.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-06-02 00:08:53

At 6/1/08 06:11 PM, Goonie wrote: Also, depends on your classes and your teachers. Some schools can be easier than others.

Seriously.

True, but not really relevant here. The idea is that with the right strategy, you can get all of your shit done a lot more easily, which lets you either cut back the time you spend or increase the quality of your work without expending extra effort.

At 6/1/08 06:20 PM, Jinzoa wrote: if only that could apply to stuff i truly despised, sound advice if you like what your doing and learning but when it comes to things you tend to find dull or just boring it's not very apllicable for me anyway.

Actually, I find that this sort of strategy coupled with the organizational system that I linked to above has made me start doing things I've been putting off for a year or more. Of course stuff you enjoy is always easier, but it's not like you can't do better at things you hate by being more organized.

Dead.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-06-02 00:21:48

I read about half of your first part and booked marked the thread for a later date :)

Good stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-06-02 00:25:27

I have just finished middle school, after this Summer, I will go to High School. What i've learned, is that around 10-15 minutes of studying for a test is good, normally i just use 5. To get A's, I just listen some what in class, but normally just do homework and ace tests. I agree with the understand, and not memorize, I found that useful in all classes, well, i've been doing that, not that you made me start doing it.

Response to Do less work, get better grades. 2008-06-02 10:23:40

At 6/2/08 12:25 AM, ripoffhitman wrote: I have just finished middle school, after this Summer, I will go to High School. What i've learned, is that around 10-15 minutes of studying for a test is good, normally i just use 5. To get A's, I just listen some what in class, but normally just do homework and ace tests.

Pretty much, but that'll change as you have more classes and the tests get longer.

Sure, it's pretty easy to get 90s all through high school without really trying, but after a certain point, to get 90s in university, you generally have to either work hard or be somewhat organized about what you do. The work isn't usually very challenging, there's just a lot of it to get done.

Since I wasn't about to start working hard, I opted to develop an organizational system.

Dead.