00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,155 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-28 19:01:23

At 8/28/10 06:50 PM, Ptero wrote: Now if only we can get DON'T! the movie...

Personally, I think (and you may disagree, most people do) we need another completely stupid movie. The sort of movie that only Tom Green could do. Another Freddy Got Fingered basically. I know they get a bad rap by the critics but they can be quite funny.

Here is another trailer for an up and coming comedy film called "The Other Guys" starring Will Ferrell.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-28 19:09:33

At 8/28/10 07:01 PM, Decky wrote: Here is another trailer for an up and coming comedy film called "The Other Guys" starring Will Ferrell.

That came out a while ago. I saw it in theaters, and it was pretty damn funny. Mark Wahlberg needs to do comedy more often.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-28 20:55:31

I just got done watching 'Mongol' and I have to say it was truly epic. That is essentially the theme throughout the film. To capture the scope and size of not only the landscape of every scene, but the man the film portrays. As we all know Genghis Khan was a massively important man in history. The man lived large and this film manages to fit it all in. Granted it only depicts his early life until his seizing of power; but even that manages to occupy 2 hours and 5 minutes of film. Overall the film is wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for a large scale film. Just don't expect battle scenes like LoTR.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-28 21:26:35

At 8/28/10 06:38 PM, Decky wrote: Machete Trailer
This is the funniest trailer I have seen for years, I first saw it a few months ago but never brought it up here. I believe that I was first made as a joke and never intended to be made but they are now making it. Can't wait personally. Its so over the top, My favorite bit is the Mini-gun on the dirt bike at the end XD.

When this film comes out in cinemas everybody has to go and see it. Here is the Wikipedia page for more info.

Yeah, I remember first seeing the trailer all those years ago and totally geeking out over it. However, when I saw the new trailer, I wasn't that impressed. It might of been because they now have A-list actors in this dirty, exploitation film - Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Lindsay Lohan.

That said, I then watched this and I got a nerd boner.

So yeah, count me in.

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 06:27:51

At 8/28/10 09:26 PM, Jack wrote: Yeah, I remember first seeing the trailer all those years ago and totally geeking out over it. However, when I saw the new trailer, I wasn't that impressed. It might of been because they now have A-list actors in this dirty, exploitation film - Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Lindsay Lohan.

I can remember thinking that the film might be spoiled by the amount of A-listers in it. Its probibly still worth a watch, know I'll be watching it as soon as I can still.

That said, I then watched this and I got a nerd boner.
So yeah, count me in.

I watched it.
My word, that looks so cool. I simply have to see this movie now. There is no way around it, good to see that the over the top violence is still alive and well.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 17:31:12

I finally got myself to watching The Godfather (part 1). The DVD's been on my shelf for months now.

There isn't much to say about it I guess. I could see it is really good movie and I understand why it has gotten so much praise over the years. I just think that sometimes it was a little slow, especially compared to todays standards, but I believe older movies tend to be like that.

I wouldn't put it in my favorites, but it is definitely a must see in my opinion.

At 8/26/10 02:46 AM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 8/26/10 01:28 AM, Jercurpac wrote: Of course the CGI isn't nearly as good as, let's say, Iron Man 2.
And not to completely turn this thread into me ruminating on Piranha, but that was kind of misleading of me. It may not be as flashy in the CGI department as the biggest budgeted films, bit I still thought it worked very well and it's filled with loads of non-CGI gore effects that are fantastic in how effectively convincing they are.

I see. Well thanks for the broad explanation. I don't have any interest in seeing it though, it's not really my kind of movie :)

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 17:52:15

I just watched the director's cut of Alien. Sigourney Weaver gives an extremely strong performance as the hero of the film, Ripley. This movie proved that not only guys can kick ass in movies. The special effects are slightly outdated, but still really good for a thirty year old movie. The pacing ni this film was perfect. Even if you're not a fan of Sci-Fi or Horror, check out this movie.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 18:17:13

At 8/29/10 05:52 PM, Ptero wrote: I just watched the director's cut of Alien.

I hate to knit pick, but Jame Cameron's film is actually called Aliens. Alien was directed by Ridley Scott. It's always been a slight cause of confusion, as the two are similar entities.
Sigourney Weaver gives an extremely strong performance as the hero of the film, Ripley. This movie proved that not only guys can kick ass in movies. The special effects are slightly outdated, but still really good for a thirty year old movie. The pacing ni this film was perfect. Even if you're not a fan of Sci-Fi or Horror, check out this movie.
I quite liked the film, although I thought that it could have been a little shorter. Not really a major complaint, it just seemed to lengthen itself needlessly at points. Sigourney Weaver was stellar though, as was the gentleman who played the cyborg, but I forget his name.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 18:35:43

At 8/29/10 06:17 PM, WaterShake wrote: I hate to knit pick, but Jame Cameron's film is actually called Aliens. Alien was directed by Ridley Scott. It's always been a slight cause of confusion, as the two are similar entities.

Aliens is the sequel to Alien. I haven't watched Aliens yet. They are part of the same series and have the same main character. Check IMDb next time.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 20:03:37

Watch Taken and Domino.

Taken was pretty good, although it was a bit stale towards the end as the entire film was basically just Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of people. It never really felt like he was at a disadvantage, as is the norm in action films. It always just felt like a matter of time until he punched his way through enough henchmen to get to his daughter.

Neeson manages to elevate the film from bog standard action into something better, though. 8/10.

Domino is a weird one, since Keira Knightley is the last person I'd picture as a badass bounty hunter when she wasn't even a believable slightly angry pirate, but she pulls it off really well. It uses that Pulp Fiction thing of showing the story out of order, which isn't really handled very well and adds nothing at all, but the film drops this idea about 20 minutes in and is linear again until right near the end. It also does this weird thing where it shows an event that happens off screen as the characters believe it happens, and then later on shows how it ACTUALLY happens. Again, doesn't work very well.

Strong supporting cast, with Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken DOES add a lot to the film, however, and the story itself is decent enough. Just wish it wasn't edited so weirdly.

Worth seeing if only for a scene where Keira Knightley dual wields assault rifles. 7/10.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 20:31:35

So I finally got around to watching 'Rashomon' today

I have to say it was intriguing and while some of the actors annoyed me the message gets across rather well.

My only issue was that the very last story told doesn't leave much speculation and I took it as the only true interpretation of the events. I'm not sure if this was intended.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 22:57:00

Has anyone seen Tetsuo: the iron man? I would recommend anyone who is a big fan of japanese horror..all i can say is its something you have never seen before.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 23:22:12

At 8/29/10 10:57 PM, therealanimator wrote: Has anyone seen Tetsuo: the iron man? I would recommend anyone who is a big fan of japanese horror..all i can say is its something you have never seen before.

I just looked it up on IMDb.

"A strange man known only as the "metal fetishist", who seems to have an insane compulsion to stick scrap metal into his body, is hit and possibly killed by a Japanese "salaryman", out for a drive with his girlfriend. The salaryman then notices that he is being slowly overtaken by some kind of disease that is turning his body into scrap metal, and that his nemesis is not in fact dead but is somehow masterminding and guiding his rage and frustration-fueled transformation."

Sounds weird. Netflixed.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-29 23:53:08

At 8/29/10 06:35 PM, Ptero wrote:
At 8/29/10 06:17 PM, WaterShake wrote: I hate to knit pick, but Jame Cameron's film is actually called Aliens. Alien was directed by Ridley Scott. It's always been a slight cause of confusion, as the two are similar entities.
Aliens is the sequel to Alien. I haven't watched Aliens yet. They are part of the same series and have the same main character. Check IMDb next time.

I'm pretty sure you have. Maybe try checking Wikipedia next time :O Nah I kid. It's no big deal either way, but the film yu described is definitely called Aliens

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 00:12:18

At 8/29/10 11:53 PM, WaterShake wrote: I'm pretty sure you have. Maybe try checking Wikipedia next time :O Nah I kid. It's no big deal either way, but the film yu described is definitely called Aliens

No, no it's not.
IMDb page for Alien.
Now, let's dissect my post.

Sigourney Weaver gives an extremely strong performance as the hero of the film, Ripley.

This movie proved that not only guys can kick ass in movies.
Now, check the IMDb page. Sigourney Weaver plays the main character, no?
Also Known As: "Alien: The Director's Cut" - USA (director's cut)

The special effects are slightly outdated, but still really good for a thirty year old movie. The pacing ni this film was perfect. Even if you're not a fan of Sci-Fi or Horror, check out this movie.

Now check under "Genre". Horror and Sci-Fi? You don't say!
The disc I used said "Alien" on it.
And last but not least, a picture of my Netflix account.
So, how exactly am I talking about "Aliens"?

Cinema Club

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 00:13:37

At 8/30/10 12:12 AM, DactyI wrote: stuff

Sorry, I was still logged in as my alt. My point still stands though.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 00:41:12

At 8/30/10 12:13 AM, Ptero wrote:
At 8/30/10 12:12 AM, DactyI wrote: stuff
Sorry, I was still logged in as my alt. My point still stands though.

I'm sorry, but does the movie poster that I uploaded not say Aliens at the top? Does it not have Sigourney Weaver carrying the young girl? I.e two of the central characters from the film you described. The film is called Aliens.

Heres another iteration of the promo poster.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 00:45:13

At 8/30/10 12:41 AM, WaterShake wrote: I'm sorry, but does the movie poster that I uploaded not say Aliens at the top? Does it not have Sigourney Weaver carrying the young girl? I.e two of the central characters from the film you described. The film is called Aliens.

There's no little girl in the film I watched.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 00:51:01

At 8/30/10 12:45 AM, Ptero wrote:
At 8/30/10 12:41 AM, WaterShake wrote: I'm sorry, but does the movie poster that I uploaded not say Aliens at the top? Does it not have Sigourney Weaver carrying the young girl? I.e two of the central characters from the film you described. The film is called Aliens.
There's no little girl in the film I watched.

Ahhhh. I understand now. I just checked Sigourney Weaver's filmography. She was in both films. My mistake.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 06:58:51

Watershake, I've never met ANYONE who was unaware that Aliens was the sequel to Alien.

Did you think they called the sequel to Aliens itself "Alien 3" just for a laugh or something?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 08:39:47

At 8/30/10 06:58 AM, TheMaster wrote: Watershake, I've never met ANYONE who was unaware that Aliens was the sequel to Alien.

Did you think they called the sequel to Aliens itself "Alien 3" just for a laugh or something?

Well...err...

Basically, I always thoughts that Alien and Aliens, whilst belonging to the same "series" or "universe", were slightly different. Largely because the two films were so different, Alien being a much more suspense fuelled film than Aliens, which seemed much more "actiony".

I don't have much knowledge of the Alien films, they were usually slightly to disturbing for my taste. Facehuggers terrify me.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 08:57:02

Loved both alien + aliens (not seen the other two), the suspense and shiz of the first and the balls to the wall flamethrower action of the second, nice to see a noticeable change between the films and stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 19:41:52

At 8/30/10 08:57 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Loved both alien + aliens (not seen the other two), the suspense and shiz of the first and the balls to the wall flamethrower action of the second, nice to see a noticeable change between the films and stuff

As a gentlemen who loves both Alien and Aliens, let me just say - please don't watch Alien 3. Honestly, it almost ruins Aliens.

At 8/29/10 08:31 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: So I finally got around to watching 'Rashomon' today

Good call, I've had the DVD for over a year and never watched it. I'll try and watch it this week methinks.

---------------------

So yeah, I watched Sonatine - a Takeshi Kitano film. Its considered to be his first masterpiece, although I disagree with that. Basically, some clan have a shoot-out with another rival clan and then main clan go off to a remote beech house to hide out for a while, during their stay we learn a little about them.

There are some great scenes between these characters, once they remove their sharp suits we learn they're actual people, rather then cold killers that they're made out to be in the first twenty minutes.

Problem is that the film barely has two acts, lucky its only hour and a half long. Also, more development for certain characters plz.

6/10

Cinema Club

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-30 23:37:09

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 00:36:45

At 8/30/10 11:37 PM, Makeshift wrote: My shirt is better than yours.

Haha, I need to get that one.
Also, I want this one.

On an unrelated note, how did you like Memento?

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 00:47:16

At 8/31/10 12:36 AM, Ptero wrote:
On an unrelated note, how did you like Memento?

Oh, I loved it. It's a new favourite for me. It kept me interested the whole time and I actually enjoyed watching Guy Pearce in a movie for once. I also watched Christopher Nolan's 3 minute short Doodle Bug, which was really difficult to watch compared to the kinds of movies he directs/writes now.

And now, I'm going to be watching Fight Club for the first time... I know, right.

On Blu-Ray, I might add...

Also, this shirt.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 01:11:06

At 8/31/10 12:47 AM, Makeshift wrote: And now, I'm going to be watching Fight Club for the first time... I know, right.

That movie's actually next on my Netflix Queue. I haven't seen it yet either.

Also, this shirt.

Holy awesome.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 03:30:02

At 8/31/10 01:11 AM, Ptero wrote:
At 8/31/10 12:47 AM, Makeshift wrote: And now, I'm going to be watching Fight Club for the first time... I know, right.
That movie's actually next on my Netflix Queue. I haven't seen it yet either.

Ah, I'm sure you'll love it, but I can't talk about it because of the number one rule.

Also, this shirt.
Holy awesome.

I haven't seen that movie! >B(

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 03:43:02

At 8/31/10 03:30 AM, Makeshift wrote: I haven't seen that movie! >B(

Do yourself a favor and rent it immediately.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-31 06:54:54

At 8/30/10 11:37 PM, Makeshift wrote: My shirt is better than yours.

Oh really?

Cinema Club

BBS Signature