New Topic Respond to this Topic
boloneyman
boloneyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-19 18:05:56 Reply

At 3/19/10 12:15 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: There's a three and a half hour cut of Watchmen called the Ultimate Cut. It has the animated short Tales of the Black Freighter intertwined with the Director's Cut. I wasn't the biggest fan of the theatrical version, but I'd love to see this cut, if only I knew where to rent it.

I've been looking for it myself. Tales of the Black Freighter, really enhances the story, or it did in the graphic novel anyway. I was disappointed with the director's cut mostly. Many of the scenes weren't even in the novel, and some actually contradict it, so they shouldn't have been filmed in the first place. The death of Hollis Mason is awesome scene though, and it is a damn shame it was cut from the theatrical cut, it is really moving.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-20 23:35:31 Reply

I saw Law Abiding Citizen. Holy crap! If you want to laugh at the seemingly implausibilities and ultra seriousness this vigilante thriller has, then do watch it. Granted, the plot takes place ten years after Gerard Butler's character's wife and child are murdered, so his grand scheme could be made, but the film shows he has more manpower than the Joker from The Dark Knight, behind bars or not. I admire how the actors keep straight faces, throughout, even when the whole city the film is set in is on the verge of lock-down because of one man. I really don't know if the film is plausible, as if nobody could really stumble across anything set up, but the film's definitely entertaining. Someone should make a spoof about, for instance, Toronto's flawed transit system and call it Law Abiding Passenger.

IMDb profile

Jack
Jack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 06:41:34 Reply

At 3/20/10 11:35 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I saw Law Abiding Citizen.

I loved how he managed to set up missile-launchers inside a prison car park without raising any alarm.

But yeah, I enjoyed Law Abiding Citizen for the sheer stupidity of it all.

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
------------------------------

I watched Friday the 13th (2009) - which certainly wasn't good but it was enjoyable enough. Honestly though, at times it was played as straight-to-dvd American Pie film - suck ass humour involving weed and boobs.

Baby Britain.
Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 07:10:06 Reply

I watched Howls Moving Castle yesterday.

Very enjoyable animation movie. I thought it was almost as good as Spirited Away actually. I just think a few of the plot elements were not worked out that well. Mostly near the ending there were some things that seemed to come out of the blue. But other than that I'd definitely recommend it.

9/10

I'll go look for some more Miyazaki movies, because me and my girlfriend really liked them so far. Princess Monomoke seems quite interesting to me.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 2 May 2018)

BBS Signature
Absurd-Ditties
Absurd-Ditties
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 16:45:46 Reply

At 3/18/10 03:33 PM, Jack wrote: Survival of the Dead is supossed to be shit - what happened Romero?

Just watched this.

It was okay. Better than Diary. Nothing new in it, but if you're a zombie fan, it's a decent hour and a half's entertainment.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 40
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 18:37:13 Reply

Ong Bak 2 is awesome

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 19:40:24 Reply

At 3/21/10 06:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Ong Bak 2 is awesome

Must. See. This.

Is it better than Warrior King or whatever its called? I thought that was a bit of let down after Ong Bak.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 40
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 19:45:46 Reply

At 3/21/10 07:40 PM, Nev wrote:
At 3/21/10 06:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Ong Bak 2 is awesome
Must. See. This.

Is it better than Warrior King or whatever its called? I thought that was a bit of let down after Ong Bak.

I don't know what movie you're talking about, but Ong Bak 2 is awesome.

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 20:06:52 Reply

At 3/21/10 07:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't know what movie you're talking about, but Ong Bak 2 is awesome.

Ahh, yes. Warrior King is its UK title. I mean Tom Yun Goong/The Protector (for the US apparently).

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 40
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-21 22:22:24 Reply

At 3/21/10 08:06 PM, Nev wrote:
At 3/21/10 07:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't know what movie you're talking about, but Ong Bak 2 is awesome.
Ahh, yes. Warrior King is its UK title. I mean Tom Yun Goong/The Protector (for the US apparently).

Oh, I dunno. I thought Ong Bak, Ong Bak 2, and Tom Yum Goong were all awesome.

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Jack
Jack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-22 18:02:59 Reply

At 3/21/10 04:45 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 3/18/10 03:33 PM, Jack wrote: Survival of the Dead is supossed to be shit - what happened Romero?
Just watched this.

It was okay. Better than Diary. Nothing new in it, but if you're a zombie fan, it's a decent hour and a half's entertainment.

Nothing can be worse than Diary of the Dead - NOTHING.

Alright, I look forward to watching this now. Hopefully Lovefilm will send it soon.

Anyway, I'm going to brave Lesbian Vampire Killers now - brb guyz

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-22 18:10:15 Reply

Watched the Bourne trilogy the past few nights and I have to say each of those films is tits. I loved each one :).

BBS Signature
Absurd-Ditties
Absurd-Ditties
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-22 18:53:10 Reply

At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Alright, I look forward to watching this now. Hopefully Lovefilm will send it soon.

There's a zombie in it who rides a horse, and the zombies themselves take a back seat to this feud between these two old Irish guys.

Don't expect too much from it.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-22 19:57:35 Reply

At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Nothing can be worse than Diary of the Dead - NOTHING.

It feels like my two friends and I are a small few who enjoyed the film. I think it's well acted, realistic looking production wise, and chilling because of the unpredictably of it. Did you see any of Uwe Boll's horror films, like House of the Dead? That's fucking campy.

Absurd-Ditties
Absurd-Ditties
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-23 08:36:11 Reply

At 3/22/10 07:57 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Nothing can be worse than Diary of the Dead - NOTHING.
It feels like my two friends and I are a small few who enjoyed the film.

I thought it was okay. Romero's worst, definitely, but certainly watchable.

BBS Signature
Jack
Jack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-23 16:43:50 Reply

At 3/22/10 06:53 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 3/22/10 06:02 PM, Jack wrote: Alright, I look forward to watching this now. Hopefully Lovefilm will send it soon.
There's a zombie in it who rides a horse, and the zombies themselves take a back seat to this feud between these two old Irish guys.

Don't expect too much from it.

Alright ta, I expect more Day then Dawn.

Incidentally, I'm not the biggest Day of the Dead fan..but look how awesome this blu-ray release looks.

I'm tempted.

At 3/22/10 07:57 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
It feels like my two friends and I are a small few who enjoyed the film.

I think my problem with Diary of the Dead, is a few weeks before I saw it, I saw [REC.] which I think did the whole 'found lost footage' thing a lot better. I believed in the characters of [REC.], I didn't believe in them in Dairy - mainly due to the hammy acting (that girl doing the voice-over was the worst of them).

I also didn't like the cheap CGI in Dairy - the floating dead bodies in the swimming pool made me lol. Overall, I just thought the film was badly executed.

However, even though I don't like Diary much, its a lot better then Lesbian Vampire Killers - which was a steaming pile of shit.

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature
Frenzy
Frenzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-24 15:37:31 Reply

My review of the dreadful "Maid Of Honor:"

No one likes watching something they've seen a hundred times before. Usually, a film at least tries to separate itself from the pack in one way or another- be it a big plot twist, a fancy directorial style, or a great musical score. I guess the entire crew of "Made Of Honor" never got this memo, however, as this sappy, generic romantic comedy is one of the most predictable and tedious films of the last ten years.

Do I even need to bother explaining the plot of the film? No, but I will anyway. Patrick Swayze plays Tom Bailey Jr., a womanizer who is with a different girl every week. Michelle Monaghan is Hannah. She meets Tom in college after Tom (thinking she is his date, Monica,) jumps into bed with her. He instantly likes her, and ten years later they are still good friends. This is where the real movie starts. Hannah tells Tom she has to go Scotland for her job. With her gone, Tom is depressed and bored, and realizes that he actually loves her and decides to tell her this when she gets back. The only problem? When Hannah comes back, she reveals that she is engaged to a wealthy Scotsman named Colin! Oh no!

The rest of the movie is basically Tom trying to tell Hannah his feelings. After losing the "games" to Colin, he takes Hannah out for a walk and they share a passionate kiss. So we learn that their feelings are mutual. The only problem is: WE DON'T CARE. If I could comment on one aspect of the filmmaking that stood out in some small way, I would, but there isn't anything that did. The whole film feels like one giant clichéd mess; particularly the incredibly predictable ending scene (which I won't get into for spoiler's sakes, but if you had one guess, you would probably get it right anyway).

Acting wise, the two leads do a decent job at their parts- it's not like they had much to work with in the first place. There are a couple of odd inconsistencies in the film- like why Tom (I had to look up because I'd already forgotten his name) gets a dime everytime his invention (the "coffee collar") is used. It probably doesn't even cost a dime to make. The movie's title is also very misleading- this movie isn't about Patrick Swayze becoming a maid of honor at a wedding (although that may have been more entertaining than this [may]).

Should you see this movie? Short answer: no. Long answer: well... look above you. Unless you take some masochistic pleasure in boring yourself silly for 101 minutes, than there is no reason for wasting your good money to see this derivative and dull chick flick.

0.5/5 (Abysmal)

Rating Scale:
0 - Sewage
0.5 - Abysmal
1 - Terrible
1.5 - Bad
2 - Poor
2.5 - Average
3 - Mediocre
3.5 - Above Average
4 - Great
4.5 - Superb
5 - Perfect

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 40
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-24 16:56:02 Reply

At 3/24/10 03:37 PM, Frenzy wrote: My review of the dreadful "Maid Of Honor:"

Not only did you watch the movie from beginning to end, but you bothered to type out a mini review of it? I don't understand this. What did you expect from this movie and who is this review for? Is anyone really considering seeing Made of Honor? If they are, they deserve to have to sit through it.

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-24 17:12:29 Reply

At 3/24/10 04:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 3/24/10 03:37 PM, Frenzy wrote: My review of the dreadful "Maid Of Honor:"
Not only did you watch the movie from beginning to end, but you bothered to type out a mini review of it? I don't understand this. What did you expect from this movie and who is this review for? Is anyone really considering seeing Made of Honor? If they are, they deserve to have to sit through it.

His review should be posted on IMDb, so more people can see it. He should change Patrick Swayze to Patrick Dempsey, though, because that's who plays the main character.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-25 14:23:50 Reply

I'm truly bummed out, right now. My favourite show, At the Movies, has been canceled. With the exception of when the two Bens were hosting, I watched this show every week for the last five years. It was always entertaining and informative. I found out about unknown movies, like Mysterious Skin. The show will finish its run in August and then I'll have to wait for Roger Ebert's new show, if it gets the green light. RIP At the Movies.

Cinema Club

Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-26 18:19:09 Reply

I went to the DVD store this afternoon and decided to buy Kill Bill Volume 1. For some strange reason the second one is on TV pretty often here, but they seldom show the first one. Last time I watched it must've been two or three years ago, so I bought it and watched it this evening.

I gotta say, it's still one of my favorite Quentin Tarentino films. I especially love the animated scene somewhere in the middle and the big fighting scene at the end is awesome too. If you have never seen it before, I strongly recommend that you give it a watch do someday.

9/10

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-26 23:21:12 Reply

Recently watched Zombieland...

Great Flick. Every Comedy/Horror fan needs to watch it, if only for the part with Bill Murray.

10/10.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Frenzy
Frenzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-27 09:32:17 Reply

At 3/24/10 04:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Not only did you watch the movie from beginning to end, but you bothered to type out a mini review of it? I don't understand this. What did you expect from this movie and who is this review for? Is anyone really considering seeing Made of Honor? If they are, they deserve to have to sit through it.

I saw it with a bunch of friends abouta year ago and decided to write a review for it.

And whoops about teh Patrick Swayze/Dempsey typo... doy!

boloneyman
boloneyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-27 11:34:10 Reply

Just watched 500 Days of Summer and found it enjoyable. There was a lot I liked about it, the relationships felt real, and all the actors did an excellent job portraying them and their characters. The non-linear story telling was a cool aspect, and there were some good artistic camera work. Best part of the movie is when Joseph Gordon-Levitt is strutting and dancing to work after getting laid. The one thing that bugged me though, (SPOILER ALERT) was the fact that Summer broke up with him around day 280, and by day 480 she has met someone new, dated, gotten engaged, and then married him. I know she talked about it being fate, but that is way too short of a period for a former commitment-phobe to go though a relationship. It just felt like too much of a stretch for me.

All in all I liked it, I'm happy it wasn't your basic romantic-comedy, but more of a coming of age tale. Anyone who has been through a break will relate to this movie. 8.5/10

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-28 03:14:47 Reply

At 3/26/10 11:21 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Recently watched Zombieland...

Great Flick. Every Comedy/Horror fan needs to watch it, if only for the part with Bill Murray.

10/10.

Yeah, it's bloody brilliant. I wish I knew why my review got 1/5 useful votes.

I saw Roman Polanski's latest thriller The Ghost Writer, which is excellent. It opens with a dead man washed up on shore. Water and terror/death is a reoccurring theme from at least two of his other films (Repulsion and The Ninth Gate) and it ironically sort of relates to his sexual abuse scandal. In this film, we meet Ewan McGregor's character, who's a ghost writer assigned to help with the memoir of the former British prime minister, played by Pierce Brosnan. He's under fire because of a torture scandal in the Middle East and the ghost writer tries to find out about the minister's mysterious past, as well as the dead man who seems to be related to this investigation.

I became immersed in this film almost right from the start. As we follow the ghost writer around, we're as intrigued and mystified as he is. Both actors and everyone else give sublime performances. The cinematography is also sublime, as it creates a dark, cold, and borderline dream-like world. I was left scratching my head when it ended, but that didn't bother me because I like films that don't give clear-cut answers. The Ghost Writer is one of the best films of the young year.

Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-28 04:42:55 Reply

I watched Pulp Fiction yesterday. Another Quentin Tarentino movie I haven't seen in years.

I don't think this movie requires much explanation. I'm sure all you guys must've seen it at least once in your life. If you haven't then I suggest you run to the store right now and go watch it immediately as you get home. It's simply awesome and one of the best 90's movies there is (if not THE best).

10/10

At 3/27/10 11:34 AM, boloneyman wrote: All in all I liked it, I'm happy it wasn't your basic romantic-comedy, but more of a coming of age tale.

It was more like 'your basic real-life relationships' to me :p

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 40
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-29 13:22:31 Reply

I watched a South Korean movie called City of Violence, which was cool. some good fightin'. There's one scene near the middle/beginning that is especially awesome. If you want a decent foreign crime/action movie, check it out. And I watched a Chinese action movie called the Rebel, which was pretty good. some pretty impressive flips and kicks. And I saw a very strange Czech movie. Jan Svankmajer's Faust. This dude makes weird movies. I had already seen his other movie, Alice. not sure what to think of this director. He's certainly one you don't forget. I'm renting John Woo's new epic, Red Cliff, to watch next. the international, two-part version, not the condensed version.

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 01:12:56 Reply

Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Goodness, that movie is slow-paced.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 12:14:13 Reply

Wahey, were close to April. Which means were close to getting our student loans through. Which means I'm close to buying fifty or so DVD's :)

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2010-03-30 12:30:09 Reply

At 3/30/10 12:14 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Wahey, were close to April. Which means were close to getting our student loans through. Which means I'm close to buying fifty or so DVD's :)

Wait. Could be that I misunderstand, but do you guys get like... your entire loan for the year paid at once? And is it really a 'loan' as in: you'll have to pay it back eventually?

If so then it works pretty different where I live. Every month I get about 95 euros for as long as my study minimally takes (5 years in my case). You'll only have to pay it back if you either stop your study or take longer than 10 years to finish.

BBS Signature