Pulp Fiction, that is all.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-03 14:27:49 Reply

Popped into Fopp earlier. Never seen The Toxic Avenger but been meaning to for some time. Haven't seen Donnie Darko in a long time, to the point that I don't remember much of it.

Wee bit drunk after stopping into a few (very fucking expensive) pubs on the way home, but think I'm gonna watch Donnie Darko tonight!

Cinema Club

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature
Absurd-Ditties
Absurd-Ditties
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-03 19:11:24 (edited 2016-09-03 19:11:34) Reply

At 9/3/16 02:27 PM, Dean wrote: Popped into Fopp earlier. Never seen The Toxic Avenger but been meaning to for some time. Haven't seen Donnie Darko in a long time, to the point that I don't remember much of it.

Wee bit drunk after stopping into a few (very fucking expensive) pubs on the way home, but think I'm gonna watch Donnie Darko tonight!

Christ, feels like a couple of years since I paid about £15 for that "limited edition" Toxie disc. Can't have been very limited if they're still around!

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-04 03:06:25 Reply

So I did end up watching Donnie Darko last night and really enjoyed it. Was trying to see how much of it would come back to me as I was watching it, but literally nothing did. Thought I would have at least remembered the ending, but apparently not.

Spent a good part of the film trying to think where I knew Donnie's mum from. President Laura Roslin!

At 9/3/16 07:11 PM, TheMaster wrote: Christ, feels like a couple of years since I paid about £15 for that "limited edition" Toxie disc. Can't have been very limited if they're still around!

It was the only copy in the shop. Actually didn't even notice it at first. I'd pulled out a standard edition then had another look over the shelves a bit later and saw the steelbook for the same price. Seemed like a no brainer.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-05 18:39:33 Reply

Last week (or so) I saw here that Mulholland Drive had been voted by some BBC poll as the greatest film of the 21st century so far, A film that I had come across before whilst creating my final major project at university but had never watched. This was enough for me to think that maybe I should give David Lynch another try, as I'd previously hated Twin Peaks.

I found it to be a film that you watch with a constant niggling that you might just be having an acid flashback or taken a blow to the head that you'd forgotten about. I have no real idea what was going on. Was seven eighths of the story a dream?

The person I watched it with thought it was a revelation. Maybe it's just me.

Cinema Club

FREELANCE GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Facebook Page /// Latest Art Piece
- - NG Photoshop Master 2015 - -

BBS Signature
Alias
Alias
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-05 19:43:10 Reply

Yesterday afternoon I watched the movie "Upstream Color." The IMDb plot reads "A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives.

Do you see that word organism? I thought it said orgasm. I watched this entire fucking movie thinking the people were trapped in a fucking orgasm. That's how beautiful the cinematography of this god damn movie was. I didn't realize it said "organism" until six hours after I watched the movie.

It was beautiful.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-06 11:55:55 Reply

At 9/5/16 06:39 PM, Decky wrote: I'd previously hated Twin Peaks.

U wot m8? Twin Peaks is the best!

Mulholland Drive is one that I would like to watch again at some point. It falls into the same category for me as the previously mentioned with Donnie Darko. I've seen it and remember the odd thing about it, but the plot as a whole is a blank.

While I do love Twin Peaks, I wouldn't call myself a full on Lynch fan. Can't say I've seen many of his films and the likes of Eraserhead don't appeal to me at a glance, but who knows. Maybe I should give more of his work a try.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-06 19:02:14 Reply

At 9/6/16 11:55 AM, Dean wrote: U wot m8? Twin Peaks is the best!

I loved the first season, then I took a small break before starting the second and I still haven't bothered finishing it.

idk maybe I'm just lame but it did not hold its appeal to me.

RYM

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-07 01:28:14 Reply

At 9/5/16 07:43 PM, Kayleeee wrote: Do you see that word organism? I thought it said orgasm. I watched this entire fucking movie thinking the people were trapped in a fucking orgasm.

That's actually kind of the premise of a real movie. According to its opening prologue scene Guy Maddin's Cowards Bend the Knee takes place inside a glop of semen.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature
Alias
Alias
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-07 08:07:06 Reply

At 9/7/16 01:28 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: That's actually kind of the premise of a real movie. According to its opening prologue scene Guy Maddin's Cowards Bend the Knee takes place inside a glop of semen.

I was actually referencing the exact plot of another movie.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-08 16:53:21 Reply

I'm definitely have to check out the anime Case Closed the style of it looks pretty good and based on some of the synopsis from a few episodes it just seems promising.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-08 17:44:10 Reply

At 9/8/16 04:53 PM, argile wrote: I'm definitely have to check out the anime Case Closed the style of it looks pretty good and based on some of the synopsis from a few episodes it just seems promising.

Good luck watching 800+ episodes. Nearly 17 full days of content.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-10 19:33:35 Reply

At 9/8/16 05:44 PM, Jolly wrote:
At 9/8/16 04:53 PM, argile wrote: I'm definitely have to check out the anime Case Closed the style of it looks pretty good and based on some of the synopsis from a few episodes it just seems promising.
Good luck watching 800+ episodes. Nearly 17 full days of content.

I don't know if I'll be binging on the series to finish seventeen days worth ,but that's great enoigh to last quite a few years

Nova
Nova
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-10 22:40:23 Reply

I watched Stay and The Nice Guys, both are good.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-11 02:26:05 Reply

Saw the documentary Voyage of Time: Life's Journey at the Toronto International Film Festival. I loved it. It's a Terrence Malick film, so if you're not a fan of his films, then you're probably not gonna enjoy this one or at least the version I saw, which has narration by Cate Blanchett. There's another version that's much shorter and has narration by Brad Pitt, but I haven't seen it. The film's about our planet. It's a very visual film and it's amazing to look at. I liked Blanchett's narration, which is, unsurprisingly, very Malick-ish. She says "mother" a lot. I guess she's referring to Mother Nature. There are actors that play Neanderthals (I think) and they're pretty good. The film didn't give me the same incredible experience that I had watching The Tree of Life for the first time, but I was still engrossed by it.

GundamBlunt
GundamBlunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-11 23:17:11 (edited 2016-09-11 23:17:26) Reply

Recently watched a couple great documentaries, The Imposter (2013) and Man on Wire (2010).

The Imposter is about a french guy who steals the identity of a missing 13 year old American kid and almost almost gets away with it.

Man on Wire chronicles Philippe Petit's 1974 high-wire walk between the Twin Towers of New York's World Trade Center while presenting it in the style of a heist film.

I've been in a documentary mood recently, so looking to discover other greats too.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-12 13:24:41 Reply

At 9/11/16 11:17 PM, GundamBlunt wrote: I've been in a documentary mood recently, so looking to discover other greats too.

The Imposter is great, if you want something similar with twists and turns you should definitely see Dear Zachary, it's another where the less you know going in, the better. Catfish is similar as well but not near as hard hitting.

I have a big fat watch-list of documentaries that are supposedly like this, where a curveball came and the director just kept filming. Exit Through The Gift Shop and Searching for Sugar Man come to mind.

In other news, I wasted money on some outdated pointless physical media and I'm afraid I might do it again.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-12 15:32:06 Reply

Watched some of Tim burton's Charlie and the Chocolate factory over the weekend ,it's just not as memorable as the first movie that came out ,Though I suppose it maybe a little more accurate in portrayal to the book which I wouldn't know since I haven't read it before.

Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-14 02:35:38 (edited 2016-09-14 02:35:57) Reply

i thoughtthe lobster was the most misanthropic film i have seen so far this year. i fail to see what it's overall political point is and it has the same problem i had with anomalisa, in that it makes fun of the main character's emotional isolation without balancing out their personal hubris that got them there.

so why am i wrong?

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-16 03:46:32 Reply

At 9/14/16 02:35 AM, Natick wrote: i thoughtthe lobster was the most misanthropic film i have seen so far this year.

I felt it was too absurd on its face to come off as truly nasty or misanthropic. If anything it felt to me like the film actually had a weird sort of affection for the awkward almost-people who populate it. I thought it all seemed more like good-natured "ha ha we've all been there amirite" ribbing than mean-spirited cruelty or condemnation, but I can see how your mileage may vary.

i fail to see what it's overall political point is

The critic Matt Singer encapsulates it pretty well in his LB review I think. He says it's about "how close-minded people try to convince others (and often themselves) that their beliefs are not only the correct ones but the only ones. In the end, that sort of thinking can leave you blind to the truth that happiness can't be regimented or regulated."

Obviously it's not necessarily so cut-and-dry but that's a decent gist of it.

and it has the same problem i had with anomalisa, in that it makes fun of the main character's emotional isolation without balancing out their personal hubris that got them there.

I dunno, nobody in this movie is operating within any kind of "realistic" psychology the way the characters in the Kaufman film are, so it's sort of hard to judge any of the characters that way. The movie takes place in a world of pure metaphor. And is Colin Farrell's character really especially more emotionally isolated than anyone else? Every other character in the film is either just like him or worse.

so why am i wrong?

Eh, it's my favorite of the year so far (though I'm hoping that will change after I see some much-anticipated stuff at NYFF in a couple of weeks), but it's not like I thought it was a masterpiece or anything. I just thought it was a really funny, clever, thorough, and delightfully strange satirical look at relationships and social expectations.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-17 15:31:05 (edited 2016-09-17 15:31:24) Reply

Don't know if there's going to be a 31 days of horror on newgrounds this year but None the less i can't wait for it to come next month.gonna watch a few shows on my top picks in the mean time.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-18 16:22:24 Reply

I think i'll watch Dexter,Grey's Anatomy,lost and futurama as main shows to see on netflix at the moment along with Case Closed.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-18 16:37:53 Reply

At 9/18/16 04:22 PM, argile wrote: I think i'll watch Dexter,Grey's Anatomy,lost and futurama as main shows to see on netflix at the moment along with Case Closed.

I get the others but

Grey's Anatomy

why

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-18 18:01:54 Reply

At 9/18/16 04:37 PM, Jolly wrote:
At 9/18/16 04:22 PM, argile wrote: I think i'll watch Dexter,Grey's Anatomy,lost and futurama as main shows to see on netflix at the moment along with Case Closed.
I get the others but

Grey's Anatomy
why

I don't know it's one of my top picks on netflix ,I'm probably better off with my time watching Saving Private Ryan.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-19 14:05:55 Reply

Finished Watching Son of Batman this morning. It was a pretty exceptional animated feature. now what i've got next is Mr. Deeds

Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-19 19:31:53 Reply

At 9/16/16 03:46 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: The critic Matt Singer encapsulates it pretty well in his LB review I think. He says it's about "how close-minded people try to convince others (and often themselves) that their beliefs are not only the correct ones but the only ones. In the end, that sort of thinking can leave you blind to the truth that happiness can't be regimented or regulated."

Obviously it's not necessarily so cut-and-dry but that's a decent gist of it.

that may be true but of what institution? these are not a couple of private, petty, high-school cliques, hazing each other over a lack of sexual relations. this is a dystopian society built all around making marriage such a fundamental part that masturbation is an offense punishable by public torture and cops have nothing better to do than question loners about their marriage certificates. one could say that this is a kind of extreme wet dream for anti-gay-marriage advocates but the homosexual option in the hotel throws that out the window.

i agree more with richard brody's review when he says "The walk to the city, on a modern highway beneath a curving overpass, is reminiscent of the monorail in Truffaut’s “Fahrenheit 451.” So is the contrast between the authoritarian city and the refugees living in the woods. Truffaut, a far more visionary director regarding the premises of a technology-oppressed dystopia, understood that it would be a stronghold of nostalgia and preserve traditional styles and forms within its society of surveillance and media-aided brainwashing. Truffaut also, more importantly, was addressing his personal experience as well as the crisis of the times: he lived in a regime where movies and even newspapers and magazines were still censored—even in France, and particularly during the Algerian War, which was still going on when Truffaut came up with the project, not to mention the widespread and thoroughgoing censorship experienced just a few hundred miles from France’s borders—and where the French government’s response to such films as Godard’s “Le Petit Soldat” and “A Married Woman” and Rivette’s “The Nun” made the perceived subversive power of the arts and the repression of them all the more contemporary.

“The Lobster,” by contrast, deploys grand mechanisms for trivial stakes. Lanthimos’s lachrymose lament for a world centered on couples and a subworld centered on solitaires betrays a cranky, dyspeptic sense of sexual and romantic dysphoria, not a lament for the state of society or of the human condition but an airing of his own petty complaints. The infinitesimally mild satire of the hotel’s blandly and dogmatically romantic pop culture is matched by the movie’s ultimate benediction of—surprise, surprise—the redemptive power of true love. It’s a self-satisfied film about an issue that’s not an issue, depicting a dystopia that’s utterly apolitical. The lampooning of banquet-hall pomp around long tables with white tablecloths suggests no grand social critique but attendance at one family wedding too many."

I dunno, nobody in this movie is operating within any kind of "realistic" psychology the way the characters in the Kaufman film are, so it's sort of hard to judge any of the characters that way. The movie takes place in a world of pure metaphor. And is Colin Farrell's character really especially more emotionally isolated than anyone else? Every other character in the film is either just like him or worse.

and i completely fail to see what it's a metaphor of, beyond making fun of dating services. i laughed at a couple of parts for their absurdism, but that's not enough. i went into this expecting something provocative and witty about heteronormativity, and instead, it felt stiff, complacent, and apolitical.

it showed promise near the end when rachel weisz went blind and colin farrell had to help her regain her senses through touch alone. i thought, "ok, now he's gonna have to rise up to the situation and take care of her" although that may be me getting sentimental. then that goddamn final shot just settled for ambiguity and cocked the whole thing up. at least anomalisa, has some sort of a resolution, even if it was an utterly hopeless one.

Eh, it's my favorite of the year so far (though I'm hoping that will change after I see some much-anticipated stuff at NYFF in a couple of weeks), but it's not like I thought it was a masterpiece or anything. I just thought it was a really funny, clever, thorough, and delightfully strange satirical look at relationships and social expectations.

psssh, i guess i can hold this up as yet another example as to why i avoid trailers for films i'm actually interested in. having said that, i'm still holding out for everybody wants some and green room since my two favorites this year technically came out last year (son of sauland embrace of the serpent)

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-20 05:13:14 (edited 2016-09-20 05:18:30) Reply

At 9/14/16 02:35 AM, Natick wrote: i thoughtthe lobster was the most misanthropic film i have seen so far this year. i fail to see what it's overall political point is and it has the same problem i had with anomalisa, in that it makes fun of the main character's emotional isolation without balancing out their personal hubris that got them there.

Haven't seen Lobster yet but I'm near enough a Stan for Kaufman so I'll defend Anomalisa. I didn't perceive it as making fun of the main character, it can be read as a dark comedy and has a mean spirit about it but it's always empathetic with the character and only aims to be truthful to the audience. We don't see Michael's hubris maybe because he doesn't recognize it himself, or just because it's focused on such a tiny scale that character backstories can't come into it, this one event effectively encapsulates the whole character as the audience is meant to see him, and anything else is filled in by the audience. I really need to see this film again.

This was actually written years before Synecdoche, New York which I think more effectively explores some of the same ideas, one of the things they touch on is the film being the viewer's future. Even with his very specific and extra-pathetic hangups, Caden's life is everyone's and vice versa.

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-20 16:39:09 Reply

Watched this today , it was thoroughly entertaining.

Cinema Club

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-21 07:52:39 Reply

Saving Private Ryan ,going on a roll this week.

Absurd-Ditties
Absurd-Ditties
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-21 16:52:04 Reply

Saw The Hunt for the Wilderpeople today.

Utterly charming, hilarious throughout, and genuinely touching in places. Get it watched.

Will go see Hell or High Water and that reissue of The Man Who Fell To Earth at the weekend.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature