00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,328 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-07 19:32:03

At 7/7/14 07:26 PM, Jackho wrote: so Angel's Egg will be the motw through next week too.

And by next week I mean this week, holy shit it's already monday what.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-07 22:07:41

At 7/6/14 07:55 PM, Auz wrote: I watched Miyazaki's Porco Rosso.

That's a great movie. It's so underrated compared to other Ghibli movies.

Also, Popeye learned kaio-ken. Look out!

KAIO-KEN TIMES 20!

Cinema Club

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-08 08:02:17

You guys read about the BFI hamstringing itself by setting up an insane series of hoops filmmakers will have to jump through in the name of diversity?

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/announcements/bfi-obligates-supports-lottery-funding-recipients-reflect-diversity-uk

It's really disappointing. Thinking of my favourite BFI funded pictures, like Tyrannosaur, The Guard, and Sightseers, and in all likelihood they would not be funded under the new regulations.

Fucking hate external bodies getting in between the filmmakers and their films. Surely the entire point of a public fund for filmmaking is to prevent the outside interference of funding bodies who are only interested in making money, not to interfere even more?

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-08 20:47:50

At 7/8/14 08:02 AM, TheMaster wrote: You guys read about the BFI hamstringing itself by setting up an insane series of hoops filmmakers will have to jump through in the name of diversity?

This is awful. Surely they realize this will only turn people away? Either that or result in plenty of superfluous, arbitrary characters and useless jobs behind the camera.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-09 12:18:54

Watched Filth the other day and I don't at all understand why it didn't do particularly well; it's got to be my second favorite movie I've seen in the last year behind The Grand Budapest Hotel. I really ought to read some of Irvine Welsh's books. Never would have guessed James McAvoy had acting chops like those.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-10 14:43:06

At 7/9/14 12:18 PM, Jester wrote: Watched Filth the other day and I don't at all understand why it didn't do particularly well; it's got to be my second favorite movie I've seen in the last year behind The Grand Budapest Hotel. I really ought to read some of Irvine Welsh's books. Never would have guessed James McAvoy had acting chops like those.

I've been wating for that to come out on DVD. It's been on my saved queue.

At 7/10/14 02:51 AM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dawn_of_the_planet_of_the_apes/

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is being incredibly well received.

I figured it would be.

Also

Cinema Club

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-10 19:13:42

Tomorrow.

Cannot fucking wait.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-10 21:05:26

At 7/7/14 07:26 PM, Jackho wrote: Here's a text list I've been keeping

Thanks!

At 7/10/14 07:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: Tomorrow.
Cannot fucking wait.

I know right?? I'm seeing it on Saturday, followed by a Q&A with Linklater and Coltrane! Though I'll probably still be in too much of a daze / too much of a blubbering mess to even pay attention to what they're saying.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-11 00:18:50

well i made it up to the 38 minute mark of american hustle before i turned it off

i don't really have much more to add on to the criticisms other than did anybody proofread the script before greenlighting this? almost every scene is either boring or cliche while the characters' motive are completely unsubstantiated. there are no good reasons for the relationships and romances throughout, it doesn't make any sense why irving and sydney's con operations haven't killed them, and to top it all of, none of these people are charming and the performances feel like saturday night live impersonations of classic 70's crime films or crime films set in the 70's.

i really tried to go into this one with an open mind, even after diving through the flood of hype and reading the criticisms afterwards but i see no point to even get through this one to the end

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-11 10:05:07

I know It's not cannon to the G1 universe but I wonder when Michael Bay will introduce Unicron in his Transformers movies it would make sense since in the 4th movie they already have Stinger and Galvatron.Would RC be in the 5th movie?

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-11 16:32:52

At 7/10/14 07:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: Tomorrow.

Cannot fucking wait.

It's everything I wanted it to be.

Magnificent. Honest, hilarious, terrifying, joyous. Can't say a bad word against it.

If there was any big surprise it was how non-weepy it was. It's childhood with warts and all, but it doesn't dwell on the negatives. It's a celebration of growing up and of family, and is one of the most uplifting films I've ever seen.

There's been nothing like it before and I doubt we'll see anything like it again. Essential viewing. A genuine masterpiece.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-11 17:09:36

At 7/11/14 04:32 PM, TheMaster wrote: There's been nothing like it before and I doubt we'll see anything like it again. Essential viewing. A genuine masterpiece.

Oh, and I saw Begin Again, too, which I'd probably be speaking more highly of if I hadn't seen it as the first part of an impossibly unfair double bill.

It's a pretty fun romantic comedy drama thing. Doesn't do anything new or particularly interesting and the central conceit of Keira Knightley's music being something really special doesn't work because it isn't, but any film that can have James Corden on screen for extended periods of time without making me want to punch him in the throat must be doing something right.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-11 17:17:18

At 7/11/14 04:32 PM, TheMaster wrote: It's everything I wanted it to be.

Magnificent. Honest, hilarious, terrifying, joyous. Can't say a bad word against it.

If there was any big surprise it was how non-weepy it was. It's childhood with warts and all, but it doesn't dwell on the negatives. It's a celebration of growing up and of family, and is one of the most uplifting films I've ever seen.

There's been nothing like it before and I doubt we'll see anything like it again. Essential viewing. A genuine masterpiece.

i can only imagine what a nightmare condensing 12 years into 3 hours must have been in the editing room

i'll have to see when it arrives here

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-11 18:28:11

At 7/11/14 05:17 PM, Natick wrote: i can only imagine what a nightmare condensing 12 years into 3 hours must have been in the editing room

i'll have to see when it arrives here

It was SO worth it, though.

It gives the film a sense of continuity and completeness you just can't get by recasting. Films taking place over such long periods, particularly those involving kids, often end up become films of two halves, broken apart by a recasting of a major character once the ability to age them up or down has been stretched to the limit.

When I first heard about this film years ago it did sound very much like a gimmick to me, but having now seen it I understand completely why it was done. It was an insane, ridiculous gamble that has paid off perfectly.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-11 22:17:06

hey guys, i just popped on by with a question that i'm not sure is asked often.

whats the worst movie in any and every conceivable way you've seen for whatever reason?

mine would probably be saw IV because of its incomprehensible plot, its horrible unneccesity in its existence, its ungodly awful editing and effects, and its complete disregard to anyone who likes anything horror or even the series its a part of. its like a middle finger to film while trying to be a film without understanding how to be a film. its like movie 43 but with expectation behind it because of 3 superior prequels that all have talent in some way behind them.

so, whats yours?

HI HOW ARE YOU?

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-13 01:52:41

At 7/11/14 10:17 PM, horsenwelles wrote: so, whats yours?

film i hate the most on a knee-jerk level: lost in space
objectively the worst film i have ever seen: ben and arthur

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-13 22:02:36

I just watched Angel's Egg.

um...

Well, it was great visually, which is something I've always appreciated a lot. And the score was creepy. Dunno what else to say...There was one still shot that must have been like 3 minutes long of nothing happening.

At 7/11/14 10:17 PM, horsenwelles wrote: hey guys, i just popped on by with a question that i'm not sure is asked often.

whats the worst movie in any and every conceivable way you've seen for whatever reason?

House of the Dead is up there.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-14 21:32:58

MotW?

At 7/14/14 12:55 PM, Nebula wrote: Snowpiercer.

Holy. Shit. you guys have got to watch this. It's fucking great.

I recently saw an ad for that on TV and I'm definitely interested.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-14 21:44:16

Another thing about Angel's Egg. It's actually the second Japanese animated film I've seen in which Noah's Arc is a big part of the plot. Interesting koinky dink there. I think most people would say Spriggan is meh at best, but I have to admit I really enjoy the action and the animation is very well done.

Also, if you want to see another anime that Amano was involved with, watch the first Vampire Hunter D movie. Maybe it's not the most original in plot, but I just absolutely love the feel of the movie. The atmosphere it great.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-15 15:41:56

I watched Angel's Egg.

I really love the visuals. There's a lot of detail in every drawing and I like how well it sets this Gothic horror atmosphere. The music was indeed pretty creepy, but I think it was fitting.

As for the plot, I'm not too sure what to make of it. I could tell it makes references to the bible (which becomes very obvious eventually), but I don't know much about the bible so I probably didn't understand much of the symbolism. This article helped to give some ideas, but considering the creators never explained anything about the film I suppose it's all largely open to one's own interpretations.

In any case, I do think it was an interesting watch.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-15 23:41:19

The Great Randomizer has spoken (this is the first time in a while I've actually had to use it, so that's nice) and it has selected me to pick this week's film! And we will be watching...

Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA)

I'm not even going to try to describe the film's plot, so let's just leave it at this: it's an experimental comedy from the guy who had previously helped to spark the indie revolution of the '90s with sex, lies, and videotape and would go on to make the Ocean's Eleven movies (among lots of other things). It's hilarious, absurd, and bizarre, and you'll never see anything else like it. The movie is positively bursting with playful twists of language and scrappy energy, and I hope you guys get as much of a kick out of it as I do!

@Auz
@Natick
@TheMaster
@Slint
@Sekhem
@Jolly
@Atlas
@NuScarab
@EclecticEnnui
@Makeshift
@HeavenDuff
@ZJ
@SithCorduroy
@Oolaph
@Jackho
@darkjam
@Nebula
@Jester
@SapphireLight
@SG3
@Dean
@Snuff
@Piggler
@Idiot-Finder
@Sense-Offender

Angel's Egg was an interesting one. Most of the Christian symbolism sailed straight over my Jewish kepi, so for me the whole thing largely functioned as a really effectively eerie mood piece. Obviously it's quite visually striking, with some outstanding art and animation work. I really liked how the film uses extremely wide shots and minimalist, often almost completely still animation to underline its atmosphere of downcast loneliness. Those kinds of scenes also make the rare moments of fluid action that much more intense and eye-popping. The giant shadow fish and the droves of ghostly-looking fishermen failing to catch it is an incredible, standout scene.

Still, it does kind of drag and repeat itself quite a bit, and I wonder if maybe it wouldn't be better served as a short instead of a feature. Then again that languid pace kind of seems to be the point, so who knows.

Also, between the vast, gloomy and barren world riddled with ancient ruins and restless spirits, the bond forged between the only two inhabitants of that sparse world, the sacrificial porcelain-skinned waif, and the constant sight of capes blowing in the wind, this movie reminded me an awful lot of the games of Fumito Ueda (never a bad thing). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was an influence on the visual style of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

In other news, I'm still far too verklempt over Boyhood to say anything coherent about it right now, but everything @TheMaster said about it is spot-on. It just absolutely floored me. Easily the best film of the year so far and unlikely to be topped. You guys seriously have to go see it, this is some generation-defining shit we're talking about here.

Cinema Club

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-16 10:59:22

At 7/15/14 08:33 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Robert Orci producing Power Rangers movie.

Alright, but for the love of fuck, don't let him near the script.

lol

Dude, it's Power Rangers.

At 7/15/14 11:41 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: and would go on to make the Ocean's Eleven movies (among lots of other things).

Traffic

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-16 19:40:41

Watched X-Men: Days of Future Past.

It's a pretty good super hero action flick. Solid performances by the all star cast, especially by James McAvoy, and the action sequences were definitely entertaining. The only thing I didn't like much was the time travelling concept. It's something that has been done often already and I don't think this film did anything too interesting with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 17:57:08

At 7/17/14 10:08 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdUysoK6tdQ

So, the cashing in on the success of the Conjuring begins.

This isn't even TheCojuring 2, it's a spinoff. Conjuring 2 is coming though.

God damn. The Conjuring was alright, but why does everything need to be made into a franchise. Conjuring got dull before it even ended without trying to drag it out for sequels.

Also in the trailer she's excited to see the doll. Fuck off, there's no way anyone could ever look at that doll and not think it's the creepiest shit they've ever seen in their life. Suspension of disbelief out the window within the first seconds of a trailer, good job scriptwriter. At least make it look normal to begin with.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 18:35:38

By chance does anyone know the details of the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch movie rights thing? I know that those two can appear in Avengers movies and X-Men movies due to "complicated" ownership issues but how exactly did it get that way? What loophole is keeping one side or the other from having complete control of the characters?

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 20:29:29

I finally got to watching Pacific Rim.

The giant robots vs Godzilla aliens fights were pretty entertaining, but outside from that it's just a terrible film really. The characters are so stereotypical, the dialogues so full of clichés and the plot is so uninteresting and stupid (the "science team" is two guys, seriously?).

It's too bad, because I was hoping for a sort of live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion. If they had gone somewhere in that direction with this it would have been a waaay more interesting film probably. Even if that had failed, I would have at least applauded the attempt.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-19 14:44:01

At 7/16/14 12:47 PM, SithCorduroy wrote:
At 7/16/14 10:59 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/15/14 08:33 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Robert Orci producing Power Rangers movie.

Alright, but for the love of fuck, don't let him near the script.
lol

Dude, it's Power Rangers.

No excuse.

Seriously, every movie I hate has been written by him and that other guy.

The Transformers movies, the new Star Trek movies, The Amazing Spiderman movies.....

those scripts are like somebody took a really big shit and then put the contents of the shit into a blender along with 30 aborted fetuses, ground them up, placed them on a scanner, printed out several scans of the goopy fluids and solids, and then wrote some terrible screenplays that suck.

HI HOW ARE YOU?

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 07:53:11

For a while now I've had my eye on Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection. 14 of his films on blu-ray usually for around £60 but it was always a bit pricey for me. Had a look at it again to see if it was any cheaper, nope. Although I did notice that there was a more recent set containing 16 of his films each stored in their own tin and in a nice display case. Obviously it's even more expensive. Or is it? Was reading reviews on it out of curiosity and came across a recent forum post pointing to Zavvi, who're currently selling it for £62.99 and if you apply a first purchase discount code you can get it for £56.69 which works out at about £3.50 per film. Seemed like a pretty good deal considering it cost me less than the 14 film set I've been eyeing for a while and this 16 film set is a numbered collectors set in considerably nicer packaging. Decided to jump on that offer.

I've never actually seen a Hitchcock film but I've been wanting to give them a shot for some time now and this seemed like a decent way to do it. They seem quite different to my usual sort of film, which is what made them appealing in the first place. I have watched trailers on Youtube for several of the films, just to get a feel for them, and they do seem like the kind of thins I might enjoy. Just a little unsure because I seem to hear mixed things about his films. Some people seem to really, really love them whilst others find them pretty average. Thought I'd take a gamble though.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that incase any of you film buffs are interested. Seems like a nice set for the price Zavvi are currently selling it at:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/hitchcock-the-ultimate-filmmaker-collection/10851514.html

Cinema Club

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 08:32:57

At 7/20/14 07:53 AM, Dean wrote: For a while now I've had my eye on Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection.

I've got the old version of this set.

Was pretty pissed when the new one followed so soon after. Mine has the same discs, bar To Catch a Thief and North By Northwest which are only in the new version, but none of the physical extras, and cost just as much.

Transfers are excellent, and the films are great. I'd definitely go for it at that price.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 21:44:52

At 7/20/14 09:39 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://confusedmatthew.com/2001%3A-A-Space-Odyssey.php

So, I just revisited that little gem.

Still the worst movie review I've ever seen.

Terrible internet videos are an art. Confused Matthew is a pro.

paulisthebest3uk is the greatest auteur of our time, though.

BBS Signature